Bicycles are permitted, although not encouraged, in student rooms if the roommates agree. For safety reasons, bicycles may not be left on balconies, porches, hallways, stairs, or any other public areas of the building.   Bicycles operated or possessed on campus must have a valid permit affixed (Parking & Traffic Ordinance Section 12.02) and must be parked at a bicycle rack, locked, and in operable condition.  For more information, please see the CMU Police website.


For fire and safety reasons, candles, lanterns and incense are not permitted in the residence hall rooms for any reason.


Students are expected to keep their rooms clean. Students are responsible for taking their trash and recycling outside to the appropriate bins on a regular basis. Custodians will vacuum floors in common areas such as halls, lobby's and lounges; nonetheless, students are expected to pick up personal belongings when leaving common areas.


If a student is diagnosed (by the staff at CMU Health Services or his/her own health care provider) with  a communicable disease that poses a threat to others in the residence halls community, he or she may need to leave the residence hall until no longer able to spread the illness to others, as determined by the staff at CMU Health Services. All entering freshmen living in the residence halls and their parents should be familiar with information about meningococcal meningitis, a rare but rapidly progressive and potentially fatal illness, and meningitis vaccine and consider immunization against the disease. 

Students are strongly encouraged to comply with the immunization recommendations and complete the Pre-Entrance Health History and Pre-Matriculation Immunization forms prior to entering CMU. The forms are available on the CMU Health Services website .

For additional information, contact University Health Services at (989) 774-6591 or via email at


Anyone interested in volunteering for campus or the Mount Pleasant community will not be turned away! A person could volunteer as an individual, with a group from the floor, as part of a hall council, or as a member of other campus organizations. Volunteers are needed for a variety of activities. There is no limit to how much community service a person could provide. Many residence hall councils take on special projects that provide outstanding contributions to the community.


The ResNet is an Ethernet network running throughout CMU´s residence halls. At the beginning of the fall semester, ResNet connection teams will be in each residence hall to assist students in scheduling and connecting their computer to this network. The university provides Ethernet access free. There is no initial fee for the network connection unless a problem exists that is above and beyond the normal hook-up. Each student must supply his or her own computer, network card and network cabling.

Although many students bring their own computer to campus, there are also several computer labs and computer centers available for students who live in the residence halls. The labs are open 24 hours per day, seven days a week when the residence halls are open. The labs and the centers offer handicap accessible tables and other services for special needs individuals. Personalized support is offered regarding hardware and software problems.


Residents and guests are required to comply and cooperate with any university staff member´s reasonable request. Failure to comply or cooperate will be viewed as a violation and result in disciplinary action. Failure for guests to comply or cooperate will lead to their immediate removal from the residence hall.


Although there is not a great deal of public damage in the residence hall community, unfortunately, it does occur at times. Damages that can be directly attributed to an individual are charged directly to that individual. When it is impossible to determine who caused the damage in any area considered a "public area," the damage charges are divided among the residents of that area. A public area may be a hallway, lounge, lobby, or any other area not contained in a specific residence hall room. Public area damages will be divided up by the floor residents or by the entire residence hall community depending upon its location. Room damages will be equally divided among room residents unless an individual assumes responsibility.


Popcorn poppers, George Foreman grills and other heating and cooking devices may not be used in student rooms. Such devices may be used in the kitchenettes available on every floor. Microwave ovens that are a part of a combined microwave and refrigerator are permitted. Other microwaves are only allowed in Campbell, Kesseler, Kulhavi, Celani and Fabiano Halls. They are prohibited in the other 17 halls because of safety concerns and energy usage limits. All electrical appliances must be UL approved. The UL seal must appear on both the appliance and the cord. Coffee pots are allowed.


In all residence halls, elevators are available for use by students with physical disabilities or temporary mobility problems. Elevator keys can be obtained from the residence hall director.

The Towers (Carey, Cobb, Troutman and Wheeler) residence halls are eight floors high. Campbell, Celani, Fabiano, Kesseler and Kulhavi halls are five floors high. Elevators are in constant use and available at all times. We ask that students use the elevators with care as they are in great demand by the 2,100 residents in that area and are very expensive to repair. In the event that a student is seen tampering with or vandalizing the elevator in any way, including jumping, disciplinary action will be taken and damage charges will be assessed.


All firearms (including BB, pellet and air soft guns), ammunition, bows and arrows are prohibited in the residence halls. You will risk severe university discipline and/or suspension if found with firearms or other dangerous weapons in the room/hall. Storage is available at the CMU Police Department at no charge.


All floors in residence hall rooms are tile. Many students choose to bring carpet remnants or rugs with them to make each space their own. 


The Office of Residence Life at Central Michigan University is committed to providing a safe, inclusive, comfortable, and supportive community for people of all gender identities and expressions.  In an effort to assist each student in finding their place on campus, we offer gender-inclusive housing.

If you are interested in a gender-inclusive room or apartment space, we can provide you with a personal and confidential assessment of the available options. To discuss your interest or preferences, please call 989-774-3111.


Parents may stay overnight in residence hall guest rooms for a reasonable fee. Reservations for guest rooms may be made at the Office of Residence Life, or by calling (989) 774-3111. Guest meal tickets may be purchased in each Residential Restaurant. Only residents or guests with meal tickets are allowed in the residential restaurant during meal hours.


The hall council is the residential governing body for each hall. Hall council officers and committee members participate in developing and implementing hall activities. These activities include social events, educational programs and recreational competitions. The hall council also serves as a major source of input concerning residence hall operations and policies through representation in the Residence Hall Assembly.


Based on recent fire safety and personal injury concerns raised by the National Fire Protection Association and the Consumer Product Safety Commission, all hoverboards (also known as self-balancing scooters, battery operated scooters, hands-free Segways) are no longer permitted in CMU residential facilities as of March 7, 2016. Individuals may not use, operate, charge, carry, or store them at any time in our residential facilities.  


The university does not carry insurance covering personal belongings. Students should check their parents´ insurance company about possible coverage. You may want to consider purchasing a separate policy. The university does not assume responsibility for theft or casualty losses of students´ personal property.


A key is issued to each resident at check-in. Keys provide access to the residentt´s room and mailbox for each resident. A resident´s signature at check-in acknowledges receipt of the key and an assumption of responsibility. Keys must not be loaned or duplicated. If a key is lost, the resident must pay for a lock replacement and new keys. Lost keys should be reported at once to the residence hall director.

It is your responsibility to carry your key at all times. If you do not have it, a staff member will unlock your door no more than two times during the academic year. After two key ins, you will be charged $20 each time you request a staff member to unlock your door.

Additional locks are not allowed on any residence hall room door including entrance, bedroom or bathroom because of safety concerns. 


Laundry facilities are located in each residence hall. They are on each floor, or in a central location accessible by all hall residents. Payment for each machine cycle is made using FLEX dollars at the kiosk found in each laundry room. The cost is $1.50 for washer cycles and $1.00 for dryer cycles. Detergent and other laundry supplies are not provided. Note: Kulhavi, Campbell, and Kesse ler halls only accept coin (quarters) at this time. FLEX dollars will be accepted at these location by the end of the fall 2015 semester.

Additional FLEX for laundry use can be purchased at Account Management Centers located in each residence hall or residential complex.

To ensure the security of clothes in the machines, we suggest that residents stay nearby while doing their laundry. Please contact the hall’s service desk to report any suspicious activity or technical problems. 


High school seniors with leadership potential are trained and educated in leadership during this three-day camp sponsored by the Office of Residence Life. Central Michigan juniors and seniors who already have extensive leadership experience facilitate the small group sessions. Students who have been admitted to CMU are invited to apply for the mid-May program.


Held the week before classes begin each fall, this five-day program sponsored by the Office of Residence Life helps incoming students enhance their leadership skills and prepare for college life. Motivational speakers provide the themes for group sessions, workshops and social activities. Returning CMU students are given the opportunity to enhance their leadership skills by mentoring incoming students.


Lofts are permitted but must conform to certain specifications. The specifications are included under the 'Lofts' section of this website. Lofts not conforming to specifications must be removed. The university has no provision for storing lofts over the summer, so they must be removed at the end of the year. If you decide to build a loft, the university-provided furniture must be stored in your own residence hall room. All lofts must be removed and the bed reassembled two weeks before the end of the spring semester. Because the beds that are furnished in Kesseler, Campbell, Kulhavi, Robinson, Celani and Fabiano Halls may be lofted, students are not allowed to bring their own lofts. Personal lofts are allowed in Carey, Cobb, Troutman or Wheeler Halls on a limited basis because of space restrictions. The beds in these four halls are bunked. 

The University has an agreement with rents approved lofts to interested students. The Residence Hall Assembly student leadership group receives a portion of all profits which helps support programs and activities for all residence hall students; however, Central Michigan University is not responsible or liable for the services and/or actions of 


Although many states (Michigan included) have passed laws legalizing medicinal marijuana, all forms of marijuana continue to be illegal under federal law. Federal law supersedes state law, as a result, institutions are not obligated to accommodate users of medicinal marijuana in residence halls, on campus, or otherwise. CMU does not allow the use or possession of any form of marijuana on campus.

MicroFridge is the exclusive rental provider of MicroFridge multipliances to CMU residence hall students. A MicroFridge is a combination refrigerator, freezer and microwave. MicroFridge rentals will be delivered and picked up directly to your room. For more information please contact: . Central Michigan University is not responsible or liable for services and/or actions of the Bedloft company.


Night check-in begins at 10pm in all residence halls each night.  All exterior doors are locked except for the main entrance (s) where residents entering are required to swipe in using their campus ID.  Residents must register all non-residents of that building after 10pm.   Non-residents without a host resident will not be permitted access.


You may not allow any person other than another resident assigned to the room to sleep or reside in your room without the permission of your residence hall director. The university may require this permission to be in writing and may revoke it. Before your residence hall director gives permission for an overnight guest, he or she must be assured that all roommates have consented. You are held personally responsible for the actions of your guests.
No overnight guests will be allowed prior to the start of classes in the fall as well as during the first week of the fall semester, or during exam week fall or spring semester. These are periods of time when students are becoming acclimated to CMU, his or her residence hall and roommates and/or are preparing for end of the semester examinations. 


Every effort is made by the Office of Residence Life to keep the rooms in good repair. The Facilities Management personnel complete all painting. Students may not paint their rooms. 


To protect the general health and safety of residence hall residents, fish are the only type of pets allowed in any residence hall.


If a student engages, or threatens to engage in, self-injurious behavior that negatively impacts or is disruptive to the living and learning environment of others, the student may be moved to another room, either temporarily or permanently, or be removed entirely from university housing, and possibly from the university.

In case of medical emergencies, the CMU Police Department will be contacted to determine how seriously ill or injured the student is and will call Emergency Medical Service (EMS) for medical assistance and transportation of the student to the local hospital emergency room when necessary.


Keeping our environment clean is the responsibility of each member of the community. Each residence hall has trash and recycling containers located in designated areas as well as small recycling containers in each residence hall room. The entire campus takes part in the annual Recycle Mania competition and the residence hall students contribute greatly to this campaign.


Refrigerators are permitted in student suites. They must not exceed 4.3 cubic feet per suite. You may bring your own or rent one from the rental firm approved by the Office of Residence Life.


The Residence Hall Assembly is composed of student leaders who represent each residence hall. The group offers opportunities for leadership across campus, the state, region and nation. To get involved, talk with your hall council president. One of the programs Residence Hall Assembly offers is the Residence Hall Linens program Students may order extra-long sheets to fit the twin mattresses, as well as comforters, matching towels and storage items. Proceeds from the sale of these items go to the CMU Residence Hall Assembly and are used for programming in the residence halls. Please visit the RHL website at: for more information. Central Michigan University is not responsible or liable for the services and/or actions of the Residence Hall Linens organization.


If you change the physical condition of your room during the year, it must be returned to its original condition one week prior to the end of the academic year. For instance, if you have built a loft, taken apart your beds, installed carpeting or moved university furniture around, you must disassemble the items and return everything to its original placement. Most students living on campus need to have a parent take their larger items home for them and weekends are the best time to accomplish that task. The main reason, however, is an academic one. There is enough confusion and disruption prior to exam week, and the noise and disturbance it causes for roommates and neighboring rooms is an impediment for students trying to study. There is some flexibility in this process. Students may choose to disassemble the room after exams are completed, normally Friday or Saturday of exam week.


The residence hall director must approve room changes within each residence hall. The responsibility for working out the details of a resident-initiated change rests with the residents requesting the change. Requests to move to another hall must be approved by the residence hall director of the hall to which the student wishes to move. No moves will be approved within the first two weeks of each semester.


You can report maintenance or pest control problems in your room 24 hours a day by calling the residence hall desk, and your request will be reported to the proper personnel. Please be sure to have the following information available:

  • Your name, residence hall and room number
  • Your telephone number
  • Your request - please be specific

Repairs will begin as soon as possible. 

To keep pests out of the room, you should take precautions to store food properly and practice reasonable housekeeping chores. All food should be kept in a refrigerator or in airtight containers. All trash, including empty boxes, should be discarded promptly.


A roommate agreement workbook has been developed to assist residence hall students to live successfully. Roommates get together, discuss issues before they become concerns and revisit the agreement if problems arise during the academic year. The workbook helps students develop a cooperative living and learning environment that respects the rights and opinions of each individual in the residence hall community.

On rare occasions, roommate concerns may escalate to a point where people are no longer able to live together. If that situation occurs, all students involved in the disagreements may be required to move to other residence hall rooms.

Generally, most people believe you have to like each other and be friends to be roommates. Although it is nice to be friends with your roommates, it is not required. Many people do not know their roommate before they move into their residence hall room. It is important to get to know each other and something about each other´s interests and habits as quickly as possible. In addition, many would wish to live with someone just like themselves, so they might automatically share everything in common. Instead, we find all kinds of individual differences that present challenges and opportunities. Our challenge is to focus on building what we share in common, instead of seeing differences as a barrier we cannot or do not want to cross. Your resident assistant or multicultural advisor will be happy to assist your room in beginning your discussions utilizing the roommate agreement workbook.


No solicitations, sales or fundraising are permitted in any CMU residence hall unless the person is in possession of a properly issued and current solicitation permit. Registered Student Organizations, commercial organizations and individuals may obtain applications for permits from the Office of Residence Life. Individual hall councils set solicitation times.


Storage is extremely limited in each residence hall room so you may consider adding storage with small bookcases, baskets, a trunk or cartons that stack. Plan to take seasonal clothing home at break periods.


Each residence hall has several areas set aside for individual and group study.


Each student room has telephone service. On-campus numbers may be reached by dialing the last four digits of the number. Local off-campus calls may be reached by dialing "9" and then the seven digit number. On-campus information may be reached by "0", while off-campus information may be reached at "9-411 ". The long distance operator can be reached by dialing "9-0."

Students must not accept collect calls on their residence hall phone. Our phone system has direct long-distance dialing capabilities. Residents will have the option of having an access code for this long distance option. 


Tobacco use of any kind is not permitted in any residence hall building or on campus.  This includes traditional cigarettes, e-cigarettes, chewing tobacco, pipes, cigars, hookahs, waterpipes, snus, snuff, or any other forms of tobacco. 


All residence halls, except Celani, Herrig and Saxe Halls, are closed three times during the academic year: during Thanksgiving break, semester break in December and spring break. Students must check out of their room with a staff member at the end of each semester. All electrical items must be unplugged during the December break. Students are encouraged to take home their more expensive belongings during these periods (computers, jewelry, cash, etc.).