As a member of the Central Michigan University residential community, residents are responsible for all policies and procedures outlined in the Code of Student Rights, Responsibilities and Disciplinary Procedures , in the Office of Residence Life Community Policies and Procedures Booklet, and the Office of Residence Life Housing Contract in addition to the policies outlined on this page.

Abandoned Property

If the resident vacates, abandons, or is evicted from the residence hall or apartment and leaves any personal property in the residence, such property shall be deemed abandoned by the resident and may be removed from the residence by the University and held for thirty (30) days. The University may donate or otherwise dispose of same, without legal process.  Resident agrees to release the University from any and all liability and to hold the University harmless for any loss, theft, or destruction of such abandoned property.

Air Conditioners

Window air conditioners are not permitted. If an air conditioner is needed for a medical reason you must request an exception in writing and provide necessary medical documentation prior to bringing an air conditioner to campus.  If granted approval, the only type that is allowed is a portable/floor mount model that has a single tube that connects to the window.  The maximum size is 10,000 BTU and the unit must be clearly tagged with a UL label and able to be plugged into an ordinary 120-volt wall receptacle.  If an extension cord is needed it will have to be a heavy-duty #12 wire cord. For safety reasons, University maintenance personnel must install all air conditioners.  Campbell, Celani, Fabiano, Graduate Housing, Kesseler, and Kulhavi are all air conditioned.


Michigan State Law prohibits the possession or consumption of alcohol by anyone under the age of 21. CMU and the Office of Residence Life expect residents and their guests to comply fully with these laws.
  • A resident who is 21 or older may possess alcohol and drink responsibly in their room at any time.
  • A resident who is 21 or older may drink in the room of another 21-year-old resident if that resident is present.
  • All guests must conform to the residence hall alcohol policy. Example: If a 21-year-old guest visits a room where the residents are not 21, no alcohol is allowed, even by the 21-year-old guest. Residents are responsible for the behavior of their guests.
  • No alcohol is allowed in any room at any time unless at least one resident of that room is 21 or older. Alcohol in a room may only be purchased, stored and consumed by a resident 21 or older.
  • Anyone under 21 present in a room where an alcohol infraction has occurred will be considered in violation of the alcohol policy.
  • No alcohol, which is open, is allowed at any time in any public area of a residence hall by residents or their guests. Anyone under 21 may not possess alcohol in any public area of the residence hall. A public area may be a hallway, lounge, lobby, or any other area not contained in a specific residence hall room.
  • Any alcohol being transported by someone who is 21 or older must be completely covered from open view and be taken directly to the resident's room.
  • Anyone present in a room where an alcohol or controlled substances infraction has occurred will be considered in violation of the controlled substances policy.
  • Any student is responsible for the behavior and objects in a room or common space where a policy violation has occurred if they are in the space, regardless of their level of participation.  A residence hall room and/or university apartment is considered the entire living space once you cross the threshold from the hallway/sidewalk into the dwelling.


Outside antennas of any kind are not allowed.

Asbestos Notification

This notice provides information about asbestos-containing materials on the Central Michigan University campus.  Asbestos is a common name for naturally occurring minerals that were historically added to a wide variety of building construction materials such as plaster, floor tile, tile adhesive, and pipe insulation.  Asbestos was used to protect life and property because of its excellent heat insulating and fire retardant properties.  Although it is no longer widely used in new construction and building remodels/renovations, it is still present in campus buildings.

Asbestos is only a hazard when small particles become airborne and are inhaled or ingested.  Asbestos-containing materials in buildings pose no risk to health unless the materials are disturbed and the asbestos fibers are released into the air.  Intact, sealed, and undisturbed materials are not a hazard.

All renovations of campus buildings are reviewed in advance by the University to ensure that no asbestos-containing materials are disturbed without proper safeguards to protect people in the area.  Work that requires removal or repair of asbestos-containing material or the testing of suspect building products is restricted to trained and qualified personnel only.

We ask that you help us maintain a healthy and safe environment.  Even though there is only a minimal risk of exposure, please observe the following simple rules:

  • Building materials including plaster, floor tile, tile adhesives, linoleum, and pipe insulation may contain asbestos.  Therefore, do not remove, cut, drill, sand, grind or otherwise disturb any material of this type.
  • Do not tape or glue carpet, rugs, mats, etc. to floor tile or linoleum.
  • Do not pull up or remove any carpet, as asbestos flooring may be present underneath.
  • Do not enter building spaces such as attics and crawl spaces.  Only trained maintenance personnel may enter.
  • Do not install screws, pins, nails, or hangers into textured ceiling plaster. 
  • Be careful not to damage walls, ceilings, or floors when moving furniture or equipment.
  • Do not brush, sweep, or vacuum textured ceiling plaster or plaster debris.
  • Do not hit, puncture, or hang items from insulated (wrapped) pipes.
  • Report damaged building materials to your Resident Hall Director immediately. A staff member will be sent to examine the situation and take corrective action if necessary.

For more information about CMU’s Asbestos Program, please visit the Environmental Health and Safety website. If you have any questions about the above information please contact Jeff Suty, Environmental Coordinator, Environmental Health & Safety at 989-774-7398.


The Office of Residence Life recommends that any bed more than 36 inches off of the ground be fitted with a bedrail.  Students may request a bedrail through their residence hall front desk. 

Bed Risers

Bed risers are permitted.


Bicycles are permitted, although not encouraged, in student rooms if the roommates agree. For safety reasons, bicycles may not be left on balconies, porches, hallways, stairs, or any other public areas of the building.  Bicycles may be impounded upon complaint throughout the year for lack of registration, no current permit affixed, or improper storage. Bicycles must be parked and locked at bicycle racks. Bicycles attached to meters, signs, trees, posts, or any area other than a bicycle rack will be impounded and fees assessed. Bicycles left on University property in an inoperable condition for a period longer than 48 hours may be impounded. Locks cut or damaged during impoundment will not be refunded or replaced. For more information, please visit the CMU Police website.


Students will need to buy a portable standalone unit that does not tie into the toilet.
  Please contact the Office of Residence Life for further guidance.


Residents may not conduct business from their residence.  (I.e.:  hair styling, selling cosmetics, t-shirt sales, book buy-back, etc.)

Cable and Internet

All apartments and residence halls are equipped with cable TV and Internet hookups.  If you need repair service, contact the Help Desk at 774-3662.

Cancelling your Housing Contract –Apartments

Please visit the Cancelling Your Housing Contract section on the Residence Life website.

Candles, Incense and Open Flames

For fire and safety reasons, candles with or without wicks, candle warmers, lanterns, incense, or other open flame devices are not permitted in the residence hall rooms for any reason. 

Care and Cleaning of Rooms

Residents are expected to keep their suites/apartments clean and sanitary as determined by university staff.  Residents are responsible for taking their trash and recycling outside to the appropriate bins on a regular basis. Custodians will vacuum floors in common areas such as halls, lobby's and lounges; nonetheless, residents are expected to pick up personal belongings when leaving common areas.

Children's Play Area–Apartments

Children must be supervised in these areas at all times and accept responsibility for any injuries sustained.  Children are not allowed to play in the hallways, entrances, or laundry rooms.

Child Supervision

Kewadin Village is a community composed of people of all ages. The Residence Life staff wants each resident to enjoy a minimum of restriction in their personal life; however, to help ensure the safety of children (non-students, under 18 years of age, residing in Kewadin Village family housing) and to ensure that apartment living is safe and enjoyable for the entire community, the following guidelines have been developed:

  1. Parents are responsible for the supervision of their children at all times. Children under 13 must be supervised by an adult at all times and may not be issued a lock-out key at any time. 
  2. Play which is disturbing to residents is prohibited within reason after 9:00 p.m. and during final exam weeks.
  3. Children must adhere to all the same policies as any other resident including the weapons policy (including toys) and use of recreation equipment.
  4. Parents must accompany all children under age 13 to and from Residence Life programs, unless otherwise specified by Residence Life staff.

Enforcement: While primary responsibility for supervision of a child rests with the parent or guardian, members of the community also share responsibility for maintaining a safe, harmonious environment. Should a child be seen unsupervised, violating policy, and/or causing a disruption, the behavior in question should be brought to the attention of the parent or guardian, and a report should be made to Residence Life staff. Depending on the severity of the case, disciplinary action may be taken against the contracted parent/guardian. If ever the safety of a child is in question the police should be called immediately.  

Communicable Diseases

If a resident is diagnosed (by the staff at CMU Health Services or his/her own health care provider) with a communicable disease that poses a threat to others in the residence halls community, they may need to leave the residence hall until no longer able to spread the illness to others, as determined by the staff at CMU Health Services. All entering freshmen living in the residence halls and their guardian should be familiar with information about meningococcal meningitis, a rare but rapidly progressive and potentially fatal illness, and meningitis vaccine and consider immunization against the disease.
Immunizations are not required however residents are strongly encouraged to comply with the immunization recommendations and complete the Pre-Entrance Health History and Pre-Matriculation Immunization forms prior to entering CMU. The forms are available on the CMU Health Services websiteFor additional information, contact Student Health Services at (989) 774-6591 or via email at

Controlled Substances

Residents may not possess, use, manufacture, produce or distribute, or aid in the use, manufacture, production or distribution of any controlled substance except as expressly permitted by law.

Cooking in a Student Room

Cooking in student suites is prohibited for fire safety, damage, and ventilation reasons.  Coffee pots are allowed.

Cooperation and Compliance with Staff
Residents and guests are required to comply and cooperate with any university staff member's reasonable request. Failure to comply or cooperate will be viewed as a violation and result in disciplinary action. Failure for guests to comply or cooperate will lead to their immediate removal from the residence hall.

Damages, Vandalism and Group Billing

Damages in public areas that can be directly attributed to an individual are charged directly to that individual. When it is impossible to determine who caused the damage in any area considered a "public area," the damage charges are divided among the residents of that area. A public area may be a hallway, lounge, lobby, or any other area not contained in a specific residence hall room. Public area damages will be divided up by the floor residents or by the entire residence hall community depending upon its location. Room damages will be equally divided among room residents unless an individual assumes responsibility.

Decorations and Room Modifications
Posters and other combustible decorations cannot cover more than one third of a wall.  Residents are welcome to make their rooms comfortable. However, due to facility restrictions and health and safety issues, there are guidelines. Drilling, sawing, or attaching items to walls, floors, or ceilings with screws, nails, glue, or other devices is not allowed. Residents may not permanently alter walls, ceilings, or floors.


Dishwashers are not allowed in any university apartment unit with the exception of Graduate Housing where they are provided.

Disruptive Behavior

A student shall not engage in behavior that negatively impacts or is disruptive of the living and/or learning environment of others.

Disruptive Noise (including loud music)

Each Hall Council may establish specific quiet hours by a majority vote of the residents. All students are expected to give 24 hours per day consideration for the rights of others. 
The use of sound equipment, including, but not limited to, musical instruments, radios, stereos, subwoofers, televisions, and other sound amplification devices must not infringe upon the rights of others. Such equipment should never be played so loudly as to disturb other residents. At no time should amplified sound be directed out windows or room doors. Should disruption(s) occur, students may be required to remove the equipment from the residence halls. Remember that while residents have a right to play/listen to the auditory entertainment of their choice, other residents have a right to play/listen to their choice of auditory entertainment without disturbance. Headphones are highly recommended.


Large hopper-type containers are placed in central locations in the areas to be served.  For proper use of the containers, all garbage must be wrapped.  When not in use, the container doors must be kept closed for sanitation reasons.  If bags or garbage are left in the hallway or outside the building, residents will be charged for their removal.  No one should enter the dumpster at anytime. 

Electrical Appliances (including refrigerators & microwaves)

Coffee pots are allowed. Popcorn poppers, George Foreman grills, toaster ovens, and other heating and cooking devices may not be used in resident rooms. Such devices may be used in the kitchenettes available on every floor. MicroFridges (microwave ovens that are a part of a combined microwave and refrigerator) are permitted and available through Bedloft. 

The University has an agreement with rents approved lofts, MicroFridges, and futons to interested students. Central Michigan University is not responsible or liable for the services and/or actions of 
Other microwaves are only allowed in Campbell, Celani, Fabiano, Kesseler and Kulhavi  Halls. They are prohibited in the other 17 halls because of safety concerns and energy usage limits. All electrical appliances must be UL approved. The UL seal must appear on both the appliance and the cord. Refrigerators are permitted in student suites. They must not exceed 4.3 cubic feet.


Individuals may not tamper with or vandalize the elevator in any way, including jumping.


Minors may not collect/display empty alcohol containers in their room.

Entering Rooms and Apartments

The university reserves the right to make periodic inspections of resident rooms/apartments. Residence Life staff members may enter rooms/apartments whether or not resident occupants are present. Residence Life staff members will do health and safety inspections on a regular basis during break closings. Facilities Management personnel may also enter rooms to make needed repairs. The university also reserves the right to inspect a particular room/apartment when staff members have a reasonable cause to believe that established health, safety, or university policies are being violated.  Please see the Office of Residence Life Housing Agreement for more information.  

Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) is a federal law designed to protect the privacy of student education records. Generally, university officials are not allowed to share information concerning your son's/daughter's time on campus without their consent, unless we believe they have a health or safety emergency. Other exceptions apply as well, such as when the university receives a subpoena for their records. For more information concerning FERPA, please refer to the federal government website.

Fire alarms

Residents and guests are expected to immediately vacate the building each time a fire alarm is sounded. Misuse of the fire alarm system, including sounding a false alarm or tampering with extinguishers is prohibited.

Firearms and Weapons

All firearms; explosives (including, but not limited to, fireworks and black powder); dangerous chemicals; weapons; knives with a blade longer than three inches, hunting knives, fixed blade knives, switchblade knives, throwing knives, daggers, razors, other cutting instruments the blade of which is exposed; or items that forcibly eject projectiles (including BB, CO2-powered, pellet and air soft guns); and any other device that may be injurious to others, except as part of an approved university activity and under the supervision of a university official.  Firearms (including BB, CO2-powered, pellet and air soft guns) may not be stored in university residences. Any replica of any of the foregoing weapons is also prohibited.  Firearms used for hunting must be properly registered with the CMU Police Department and stored in compliance with university regulations.

Flushable Wipes

Flushable wipes are permitted, but must be disposed of in the garbage.


The Office of Residence Life will post a predetermined number of flyers in residential areas regarding the programs, information, and services of Registered Student Organizations (RSOs), academic units, CMU affiliated organizations, and university offices.  For the complete policy visit the Office of Residence Life in Ronan 270.


Always contact the apartment supervisor if the furnace pilot light is off. Do not turn the thermostat below 55 degrees or leave a window open above a water or heating pipe when leaving the apartment during cold weather.  If the furnace filter is dirty or clogged contact your apartment supervisor. 


All university-provided furniture and equipment must remain in the room or apartment as inventoried upon check-in. The removal of public area furniture is strictly prohibited. Residents are permitted to bring personal furniture and accessories to their unit and to move/set up university-provided or personal furniture within their unit (rearranging furniture is the responsibility of residents). All roommates must be in agreement about the furniture arrangement. The following guidelines also apply to furniture within on-campus housing:
  • Any non-university mattresses are strictly prohibited due to fire safety standards.
  • Furniture should not block vents, thermostats, or means of egress.
  • Upon move-out, all university-provided furniture must be present and set up to match the university layout standards (building specific instructions will be provided prior). –See Residence Life Order day information.
  • All furniture/accessories belonging to residents must be removed from campus prior to move-out or else the furniture left will be subject to removal at the owner's expense and forfeited. 
  • Residents will be charged for any damages to furniture not noted on the room inventory.
  • Furniture can be lofted using university instructions and provided bed pins only. 


Gambling, the betting of money or other valuable things,  is strictly prohibited.

Gender Inclusive Housing

The Office of Residence Life at Central Michigan University is committed to providing residents a comfortable, educational, diverse and caring community where academic success, personal growth, and social responsibility are valued.

In an effort to assist each student in finding their place on campus, we offer gender-inclusive housing for transgender and gender non-conforming individuals.

If you are interested in gender-inclusive housing, we can provide you with a personal and confidential assessment of the available options. To discuss your interest or preferences, please contact the Office of Residence Life at 989-774-3111.


In the Graduate Housing apartments where there is granite, residents must not sit on or place heavy objects on its surface.  If it is damaged or destroyed, resident(s) will be charged.


Students are responsible for their own behavior and that of their guests.  If a student or guest violates CMU Student Code or other applicable policies, the student is subject to conduct action.

Guest Meals

Guest meal tickets may be purchased in each residential restaurant. Only residents or guests with meal tickets are allowed in the residential restaurant during meal hours.

Hosting a Keg and/or Supplying Alcoholic Beverages to Minors

Residents are not allowed to distribute alcoholic beverages within the residence hall per state law.  Michigan law is interpreted to mean that the sale, trade or giving away of alcoholic beverages requires a license. Therefore, each person must supply his or her own alcoholic beverages. No kegs or mass purchases will be allowed.


Based on recent fire safety and personal injury concerns raised by the National Fire Protection Association and the Consumer Product Safety Commission, all hoverboards (also known as self-balancing scooters, battery operated scooters, hands-free Segways) are no longer permitted in CMU residential facilities as of March 7, 2016. Individuals may not use, operate, charge, carry, or store them at any time in our residential facilities.  


The Office of Residence Life recommends that students and families check with their homeowner's insurance to be certain that personal items brought to CMU are covered.  Students and families should familiarize themselves with the Office of Residence Life Housing Contract located on our website at:
17. The university is not liable for the loss of or damage to money, property or other valuables belonging to resident or any other person. University strongly recommends, and resident is responsible for acquiring, any insurance that resident may desire for resident´s protection from liability and property damages.
National Student Services is the largest provider of student personal property insurance for college students.  They provide worldwide coverage for students regardless of where they live or travel (on campus, off campus, living at home or studying abroad.)  Currently, over 2,000 colleges/universities endorse their program, and CMU has provided their information to students and parents for more than fifteen years.

Items Left in Hallway/Public Area

Items including trash and furniture found left in a hallway/public area will result in a $5 fine per item.

Keys/Additional Locks

A key is issued to each resident at check-in. Keys provide access to the resident´s room/apartment and mailbox for each resident. A resident signature at check-in acknowledges receipt of the key and an assumption of responsibility. Keys must not be loaned or duplicated. If a key is lost, the resident must pay for a lock replacement and new keys. Lost keys should be reported at once to the residence hall director. Additional locks are not allowed on any residence hall or apartment door due to safety concerns.

It is the responsibility of the resident to carry your key at all times. If the resident does not have it, a staff member will unlock the residents' door no more than two times during the academic year. After two key ins, the resident will be charged $20 each time the resident requests a staff member to unlock their door.

Lead Paint Notification

There is a legal mandate based on an EPA law passed in April 2010, that testing for lead paint occur in apartment housing built before 1978.  The rationale is that paint produced and applied after 1978 was non-lead based paint, because lead based paint was banned at that time.  The Nova Environmental inspection team was hired to test painted surfaces applied before 1978 in the university apartments. The tool they used to determine the presence of lead can analyze almost ten layers of paint.

Northwest Apartments had two components that were considered positive for lead:  all interior and exterior window components (including apartment and common area windows) and most painted concrete ceilings. There were not any components that contained lead based paint in Kewadin Village.

It is our legal obligation to notify the residents/potential residents that there is lead based paint present.  The EPA has a pamphlet that will satisfy this requirement. Visit the EPA website to access a downloadable copy of the brochureFor a copy of the complete report, please contact Environmental Health and Safety at 989-774-7398 or visit Smith Hall 103.

Living Unit Condition

Your living unit has been inspected and any recognized deficiencies have been noted and repaired or are in the process of being repaired.  If you recognize any deficiencies or damages within your living unit, please report the issue immediately to the front desk of your residence hall.  Northwest residents should report the issue immediately to the maintenance link provided on the back of the apartment door.  Items reported after 4pm on the first Tuesday of classes may result in charges.  Additional charges will be assessed throughout the year if repairs are needed due to abuse or vandalism.


Lofts are permitted but must be rented through  If you decide to rent a loft, the university furniture must be stored in your own residence hall room.  All lofts must be removed and the bed reassembled two weeks before the end of the spring semester.  The university has no provision for storing lofts over the summer, so they must be removed at the end of the year.  Lofts are not allowed in Campbell, Carey, Celani, Cobb, Fabiano, Kesseler, Kulhavi, Robinson, Troutman, or Wheeler halls. 

The university has an agreement with who rents lofts to interested residents.  Central Michigan University is not responsible or liable for services and/or actions of

Medicinal Marijuana

Although many states (Michigan included) have passed laws legalizing medicinal marijuana, all forms of marijuana continue to be illegal under federal law on campus. Federal law supersedes state law, as a result, institutions are not obligated to accommodate users of medicinal marijuana in residence halls, on campus, or otherwise. CMU does not allow the use or possession of any form of marijuana on campus.

Missing Persons

If the Office of Residence Life is notified that a resident is believed to be missing, staff are directed to contact CMU Police.

Movie Viewing

Due to copyright laws, the viewing of prerecorded movies (VHS, DVD, Blu-Ray, Netflix, etc.) in public areas is prohibited. This includes lobby, lounge and study areas. The rental or purchase of movies does not carry with them licenses for non-home showings. A resident's individual residential unit is considered to be their home and thus they can view movies within the confines of their residential unit.

Night Check-In

Night check-in begins at 10:00 p.m. in all residence halls each night.  All exterior doors are locked except for the main entrance (s) where residents entering are required to swipe in using their campus ID.  Residents must register all non-residents of that building after 10:00 p.m. Non-residents without a host resident will not be permitted access.

Order Day

Order Day is the time when University housing living spaces need to be put back as they were in August, before you moved into them. This means lofts need to be taken down, any personal furniture brought into the space moved out, beds put back together, bed springs put back into correct position, carpet taken up, bathrooms cleaned, desks put back in the original location, and any stickers or glow-in-the-dark paint removed from walls, furniture, or doors.  When you check out of your living space, it is expected that the bathroom and all rooms are clean.  This means the floors have been swept and mopped, drawers wiped out, the closet is free of all belongings and hangers, all trash removed, the sink, counter and shower are clean and free from soap build up and the toilet has been cleaned both in the bowl and around the outside of it.  In addition, apartment residents are expected to wipe clean the appliances both inside and out.  If you fail to properly prepare your living space, you will be fined $50 for improper check out and any additional custodial costs.

Overnight Guests

Residents may not allow any person other than another resident assigned to the room to sleep or reside in the room without the permission of the residence hall director. Overnight guests are only permitted on Friday and Saturday nights. The university may require this permission to be in writing and may revoke it. Before the residence hall director gives permission for an overnight guest, they must be assured that all roommates have consented. Residents are held personally responsible for the actions of their guests.
No overnight guests will be allowed prior to the start of classes in the fall as well as during the first week of the fall semester, or during exam week fall or spring semester. These are periods of time when residents are becoming acclimated to CMU, their residence hall and roommates and/or are preparing for end of the semester examinations.

On the rare occasion of a weeknight guest, all roommates must approve and sign an OVERNIGHT GUEST WEEKDAY WAIVER REQUEST, which may be obtained from your Residence Hall Director.


Residents may not paint their rooms. 

Personal Property and Liability

All personal property brought to Central Michigan University is at the resident's risk.  Residents are advised to secure their own property protection through renters or homeowners insurance.  Central Michigan University is not liable for any unforeseen occurrences or acts of negligence by residents, guests, or other person.  This includes damage or loss of property, injury to others, or inconvenience to residents, guests or other person.


Fish are the only type of pet allowed in university housing with a tank size limit of 20 gallons. Residents who require a service animal or emotional support animal must obtain approval through the Student Disability Services office PRIOR to bringing the animal to campus.

Unauthorized Animals - Residents observed or reported to have an unauthorized animal will be assessed an immediate fine of $50 and given 48 hours to remove the animal.  If the animal is not removed within 48 hours a $25 fine will be assessed for every day the animal remains on the premise, and the student may be referred to the Office of Student Conduct.

Portable Washing Machines & Dryers

Portable washing machines and/or dryers are not allowed in any university housing unit with the exception of Graduate Housing where they are provided.

Prohibited Items

Electrical appliances- popcorn poppers, grills, toaster ovens and other heating and cooking devices. These items may be used in the kitchenettes in the residence halls. Apartment residents may use cooking items in the kitchen area of their apartment.
  1. Air Conditioners
  2. Alcohol (if under 21 years of age)Pets
  3. Barbecues
  4. Bidets (students will need to buy a portable standalone unit does not tie into the toilet)
  5. Candles, candle warmers, lanterns, incense or other open flame devices
  6. Dishwashers, clothes washers and dryers (if not provided by the university)Firearms and weapons (including toy guns)
  7. Drug Paraphernalia- any equipment, product or accessory that is modified for making, using, or concealing drugs.  It includes but is not limited to items such as bongs, roach clips, pipes, miniature spoons,  etc.
  8. Electric or Kerosene heaters
  9. Extension cords, outlet adapters, or multiple plugs - except for power strips with built-in circuit breakers (limit of one power strip per resident)
  10. Firearms and weapons (including toy guns)
  11. Halogen bulbs or lamps
  12. Hoverboards
  13. Lava lamps
  14. Live Christmas Trees
  15. Mercury thermometers
  16. Microwaves (except in Campbell, Celani, Fabiano, Kesseler, Kulhavi, Northwest apartments, Graduate Housing and Kewadin Village.)
  17. Pets
  18. Stolen Property (street signs, barricades, university signage, etc.)
  19. Tobacco (tobacco products include traditional cigarettes, e-cigarettes, chew, pipes, cigars, hookah or waterpipe smoking, snus, snuff, etc.)
  20. Vape Pens
  21. Waterbeds

Propped Doors and Emergency Exits

To enhance the safety and security of all community members, exterior doors must never be propped open.  Propping doors increases the risk of harm to the community.  Anyone observed propping or holding a locked door open for someone else, who enters through a propped or held door or who leaves through an emergency exit when no emergency exists may be referred to the Office of Student Conduct.

Psychological and Medical Emergencies

If a resident engages, or threatens to engage in, self-injurious behavior that negatively impacts or is disruptive to the living and learning environment of others, the resident may be moved to another room, either temporarily or permanently, or be removed entirely from university housing, and possibly from the university.

In case of medical emergencies, the CMU Police Department will be contacted to determine how seriously ill or injured the resident is and will call Emergency Medical Service (EMS) for medical assistance and transportation of the resident to the local hospital emergency room when necessary.

Recreation in Hallways and Public Areas

For the safety of all residents, playing sports within any living area is prohibited. Such activities must be confined to the outdoor areas, away from all buildings.


Keeping our environment clean is the responsibility of each member of the community. Each residence hall has trash and recycling containers located in designated areas as well as small recycling containers in each residence hall room. The entire campus takes part in the annual Recycle Mania competition, and on-campus students contribute greatly to this campaign.

Removal of Food or Utensils from the Residential Restaurants

The residents' meal plan provides for meals served and eaten in the residential restaurants. Unless special arrangements such as a sack lunch or floor dinner have been made, no food or beverage may be taken from the dining room except one piece of fresh fruit.

Removal of Furnishings from a Public Area

Residents may not remove furnishings from a public area.  Removal of public area furnishings will result in a $25 fine.

Removal of Screen from Window

Residents may not enter or vacate a room through the window.  Screens in all rooms must remain on the windows at all times, except in cases of emergency.  Removal of screens will result in a $25 fine.

Office of Residence Life Contract Release

Residents are required to sign a housing contract for the entire academic year.  Academic year is defined as fall and spring semester.  Residence halls are open for resident occupancy only when the university is in session. Please refer to our information on the Office of Residence Life Housing Contract. At the end of the fall and spring semesters, you are asked to vacate your room immediately following your last scheduled examination. 

Rollerblades, Scooters, and Skateboards

For the safety of all residents, the use of rollerblades, skateboards, scooters, or other sports equipment are prohibited inside of all buildings on campus. Residents wishing to rollerblade must put on and remove their skates outside of the buildings. Such equipment harms floor surfacing and damages will be charged to the residents.

Rooftops and Tunnels

Access to rooftops or tunnels is prohibited.  Residents should not access these areas or throw items on rooftops.  Students found in these restricted areas will be referred for disciplinary action. In addition, students are not permitted to climb on campus buildings.

Room Changes

The Residence Hall Director must approve room changes within each residence hall. The responsibility for working out the details of a resident-initiated change rests with the residents requesting the change. Requests to move to another hall must be approved by the residence hall director of the hall to which the resident wishes to move. No moves will be approved within the first two weeks of each semester.

"Room" definition

Any student is responsible for the behavior and objects in a room or common space where a policy violation has occurred if they are in the space, regardless of their level of participation.  A residence hall room and/or university apartment is considered the entire living space once you cross the threshold from the hallway/sidewalk into the dwelling.

Room Modifications

Residents are welcome to make their rooms comfortable. However, due to facility restrictions and health and safety issues, there are guidelines. Drilling, sawing, or attaching items to walls, floors, or ceilings with screws, nails, glue, or other devices is not allowed. Residents may not permanently alter walls, ceilings, or floors.

Room Repairs and Pest Control

The resident should immediately report maintenance or pest control problems in their room 24 hours a day by contacting the residence hall desk. The request will be reported to the proper personnel. Please be sure to have the following information available:

  1. Resident name, residence hall and room number
  2. Resident telephone number
  3. Resident request - please be specific
  4. Repairs will begin as soon as possible. 

To keep pests out of the room, residents should take precautions to store food properly and practice reasonable housekeeping chores. All food should be kept in a refrigerator or in airtight containers. All trash, including empty boxes, should be discarded promptly. Failure to report in a timely manner which then results in further damage may result in the resident incurring charges.

Smoke Detectors

Misuse of smoke detectors, including covering or removing the smoke detector and/or battery, is prohibited.


No solicitations, sales or fundraising are permitted in any CMU residence hall unless the person is in possession of a properly issued and current solicitation permit. Registered Student Organizations, commercial organizations, and individuals may obtain applications for permits from the Office of Residence Life. Individual hall councils set solicitation times.


Storage is extremely limited in each residence hall room so residents may consider adding storage with small bookcases, baskets, a trunk, or cartons that stack. Plan to take seasonal clothing home at break periods.

Storage of Dangerous Equipment in a Student Room

All guns including shotguns, rifles, and handguns brought to campus must be checked and stored with the CMU Police Department. State law requires that all handguns be registered and University regulation requires that all firearms be registered with the CMU Police. Hunting knives, bows and arrows, or other types of dangerous equipment must be checked for storage. Fireworks, gasoline and other combustible materials are prohibited. The possession or use of other pyrotechnics is forbidden by law in Michigan.
Please refer to the University Weapons Policy.


Toba cco use of any kind is not permitted in any residence hall building or on campus. This includes traditional cigarettes, e-cigarettes, chewing tobacco, pipes, cigars, hookahs, vape pens, waterpipes, snus, snuff, or any other forms of tobacco. 


The following items should not be flushed:

  • flushable bathroom wipes
  • feminine products
  • paper towels
  • cleaning towels
  • food items

Vacation and move out procedures

All residence halls, except Celani, Herrig, and Saxe Halls are closed three times during the academic year: Thanksgiving break, semester break in December, and spring break. 
Residents must check out of their room with a staff member at the end of each semester. All electrical items must be unplugged during the December break. Residents are encouraged to take home their more expensive belongings during these periods (computers, jewelry, cash, etc.). Failure to follow checkout procedures may result in a $50 improper check out fee in addition to any damage charges.


Waterbeds are not allowed.


At no time shall anyone discard any items through a window.