Why would I want to meet with an Academic Advisor?

Students should feel free to contact their academic advisors on matters related to career and academic decision making, degree requirements, course selection, schedule building, bulletin interpretation, grade point averages, summer transfer courses, and study skills. Advisors also do academic presentations and special event programming. Advisors are a great starting point for most issues and on-campus referrals.

What is my role as the student in the advising partnership?

An academic advisor will work in partnership with all students to progress toward graduation. The academic advisor will not make decisions for a student. Instead advisors will help to develop valuable decision making skills. It is important for students to come prepared for each advising appointment by bringing appropriate materials and being ready to ask questions.  Reviewing their Advising Workbench in their CentralLink account will also be a valuable resource for them.

What is the advisor’s role in the advising partnership?

Advisors provide direction and clarification for the student and help the student make educated decisions. Also, advisors serve as a connection between the students and department faculty members.

Can my parents talk to my academic advisor?

Advisors are limited as to what they can share with parents regarding academic records and progress. However, advisors welcome parental involvement and questions regarding reasons behind why classes are taken.

Will I be able to complete my plan of study and graduate in 4 years?

With careful planning and utilization of academic advising services, most degree plans can be completed in 4 years. The most common exception to this is a Bachelor of Science in Education degree. This is usually a 5 year degree.

For assistance in investigating majors or career options, when should I talk to my academic advisor?

It is recommended that undecided students meet with their academic advisor as soon as possible. Advisors will try to help the student pinpoint majors based on interests and personality characteristics.

Where can I go for academic help?

Students who may be struggling in a class can receive free tutoring from Academic Assistance Programs. Tutoring is available for most​ 100 and 200 level courses and courses which fulfill University Program requirements. Also, tutoring is available for classes that fulfill speech and mathematics competency requirements. CMU will pay for a maximum of 3 hours of tutoring per week. Academic Assistance is located in Ronan Hall 250 and can be reached by calling (989) 774-3465.

How do I declare my major(s) and/or minor(s)?

Students need to officially declare their major by the time they earn 56 credit hours. Once decided, a student contacts their respective departments to declare their major/minor with a member of that department's faculty. Should a student change their mind concerning their field of study, they simply declare the "new" major/minor.