​​Here are some common questions and answers you may have regarding declaring your major or minor.  

How do I know what college or department my major or minor falls under?
Majors and minors are offered under various colleges. Please click here for the academic bulletin listings of Academic Programs by subject. Some majors and minors are also considered interdisciplinary so you will take courses from a few different colleges to satisfy your program requirements.

How do I declare my major or minor?

To declare your major or minor, you need to contact the department offering the major/minor you wish to pursue (for example, a Biology major would contact the Biology department.) You will find phone numbers in the CMU Bulletin, CMU phonebook or online at departmental or college websites. The department will then give you instructions on how to sign your major/minor. For a listing of majors, minors, interdisciplinary programs and pre-professional programs offered by colleges, please visit the CMU Bulletins online.

Where do I declare my major or minor?
Once you contact your department you will need to meet with a faculty member to declare your major or minor.  Some departments assign students to faculty based on last name and others by specific concentration or interests within the major. Sometimes departments may also declare majors at college advising sessions.

When do I need to declare my major?
You need to declare your major or intent to major by the time you reach 56 credits, which is typically the end of your sophomore year.  If you don't declare your major by 56 credits you will have a registration hold put on your account. In order to register for future semesters you will need to have a declared major or intent to major on file with the Registrars office.

Do I have to have a minor?
Some programs or degrees require a minor while others do not. Even if a minor is not required many students find minors which complement their majors or various interest areas. In choosing your degree plan, pay attention to which ones require a minor and which ones do not.  A minor is not required for graduation.

When do I need to declare my minor?
Once you declare your major you can declare your minor.  It is helpful to meet with departmental faculty as soon as you can to talk about the requirements for your minor.  Sometimes you have choices for your minor electives and faculty can provide advice on what classes fit your interests.

What If I have not met all the requirements to declare my major?
You might be in the process of completing requirements for your major as you approach the 56 credit deadline. You can declare an "intent to major" form with the department.  Once you complete your requirements you can meet with faculty to declare your major.

Can I have more than one major or minor?
Yes! Many students find they are interested in multiple disciplines and are interested in focusing in different areas of study.  Some majors and minors complement each other well with overlapping coursework, and others are just based on your interests.  If you are reviewing the requirements for multiple majors and minors be aware of rules for double counting courses.

Can I change my major or minor?
Yes, students often change their interests as they take courses and may switch majors and minors.  If you have already declared a major or minor you can indicated the change once you declare your new major/minor.

Are there any major and minor combinations I cannot do?
Yes,  some major and minor combinations may not be allowed.  Also you cannot major and minor in the same discipline. Check your bulletin or talk to an advisor or faculty member about specific rules.

How do I know what majors and minors are offered at CMU?
For a listing of majors, minors, interdisciplinary programs and pre-professional programs offered by colleges, please visit the CMU Bulletins online.

Is every program offered as a major and a minor?
No, not all programs are offered as majors and minors.  Check your bulletin for a listing of what is offered as a major or minor.

What if a new major or minor gets added once I start at CMU, can I follow a newer bulletin?
Yes, you can go forward and declare with a new bulletin. Be aware that you will be required to follow the new bulletin for all graduation and degree requirements.

I am interested in a Pre-Professional Program, is that a major?
While you may be interested in pursuing a future interest area in a graduate program or certain field you will still need to declare a major.  For example, you may consider yourself to be pre-med, but you could major in a variety of disciplines such as Biology, Neuroscience etc...

There is a major or minor from a few years ago I want to study, but it's not listed in the current bulletin, what does that mean?
Sometimes majors and minors are modified, deleted or put on hiatus.  If a major or minor is no longer being offered you cannot go back to an older bulletin and choose a program not currently being offered. Programs are updated or deleted for various reasons.  Departments have the overall control over major/minor offerings and changes.

I have lost my bulletin and need information about my major or minor, where can another one?
You can visit the online bulletin for information.  Please click here for the online bulletin.