New Student Orientation offers a sneak preview of life at Central Michigan University, preparing freshman students for their first semester. For students needing assistance with their academic plan or career direction, professionally trained advising staff and career development team will meet with incoming students to provide clear direction. For students who have already decided on their fields of study, they will learn about the specific requirements of their degrees, majors, and related minors, so they can hit the ground running when the semester begins.
New Student Orientation highlights include:
- Registration for first semester classes
- Meeting with staff, faculty, and advisors to plan your success at CMU
- An opportunity to learn about various university resources
- Connecting with classmates and other families joining the CMU community
- View the Freshman schedule
New Student Orientation is mandatory. Freshman orientation check-in begins at 8:00 a.m. and the program begins promptly at 9:00 a.m. The day will conclude no earlier than 5:00 p.m. Morning refreshments and lunch will be provided. We recommend bringing a water bottle and comfortable shoes.
Times vary for late-summer orientation dates. Please review the email confirmation sent to your CMU email account after you registered for details regarding your specific orientation.
Scheduling New Student Orientation
Once CMU has received and processed a student's $175 enrollment deposit, they will be able to reserve their orientation date using CMU's online reservation system. Students will need their CMU Global ID and password to access the registration system. This reservation process will take approximately 15-20 minutes to complete. Click to start the reservation process.
Space for each orientation session is limited and is assigned on a first-come, first-serve basis.
After completing a reservation, a confirmation will be sent to the student's CMU e-mail account listing the orientation date, time, location and parking details. This email will also include links to other important information relevant to New Student Orientation.
CMU welcomes family members and guests to come to New Student Orientation, for a day of learning and fun! While students will spend the day concentrating on the specific needs of their upcoming year, their family members and/or guests will attend special sessions learning how they can best support their students during their academic career. Family orientation highlights include:
- An opportunity to learn how to support your student's success
- A guided tour of CMU's campus
- Explanation of important university policies and procedures including parking permits, billing, tuition and banking
- A delicious meal at one of our residential restaurants
- View the Family and Guest schedule for the Freshman program