Aspiring Transfer Student Q & A​


How do I apply to CMU?

To apply to Central Michigan University, go to and fill out the ​application.

How much is the application fee?

The application fee is $50. If you apply and are accepted into the Student Transition Enrichment Program before applying to CMU, your full application fee may be waived.

Can I transfer and begin in January?

Yes, you can transfer to CMU at any time.

Do I have to transfer from a university or a community college?

You may transfer to CMU from another university or community college. 

When is the deadline for transferring?

There is no specific deadline for transferring to CMU. However, all of the steps necessary for transferring must be done prior to the semester you plan on attending the  University. To receive priority consideration for financial aid, however, you must submit the FAFSA by February 15, if you have not already done so.

If I take a year off from school and then go to CMU, am I still a transfer?

If you are taking a year off immediately after high school, you would not be considered a transfer student. If you are taking a year off after attending another college or university, you are a transfer student. 

Am I still a transfer if I was admitted as a freshman then went somewhere ​else, and now, I am returning?

Yes, in this case, you would be considered a transfer student.

How do I know my application has been received?

You will receive an email notification saying that your application has been received.

How do I check the status of my application?

​You can track the status of your application by logging in here.

If I am denied admission, can I reapply?

Yes, you may apply as many times as you would like. An application fee of $35 will be assessed every time you apply.

What are the requirements to be considered a transfer?

Meet with your academic advisor at your current college or university or contact CMU's admissions office. They will help you review transfer credit information, including transfer articulation agreements and equivalency information (The "What Will Transfer?"​ tool is also available here).

Have your official transcripts sent directly to CMU from any colleges or universities you have attended. If you have completed 30 college credit hours or fewer, you must submit your high school transcript and ACT scores as well.

How do I get more information about the campus?

If you would like more information about the campus, you can visit the CMU website and click on the heading "About​." There are also multiple other portions of the website where you can find information. You can find these using any link or the search​ bar at the top right corner of each page.

The Student Transition Enrichment Program (STEP) at Central Michigan University is a great place to continue your pursuit of a four-year degree. STEP reaches out to first generation and/or Pell eligible transfer students to help them navigate through the maze of  a four-year institution. The program is sponsored by the State of Michigan, Workforce Development Agency, and King Chavez Parks (KCP) Initiative.​​