Central Michigan University's New Student Orientation program provides students with a comprehensive introduction to the university prior to your first day of classes. For students needing assistance with their academic plan or career direction, professionally trained advising staff and career development team will meet with incoming students to provide clear direction. For students who have already decided on their fields of study, they will learn about the specific requirements of their degrees, majors, and related minors, so they can hit the ground running when the semester begins.
Student orientation schedule for December 13 and January 9
Family orientation schedule for December 13 and January 9
New Student Orientation highlights include:
- Registration for first semester classes
- Meeting with staff, faculty, and advisors to plan your success at CMU
- An explanation of university policies and procedures including parking permits, financial aid, billing, tuition and banking
- Connecting with classmates and other families joining the CMU community
- Photograph for campus ID card
- Morning refreshments and lunch
You may wish to bring:
- Comfortable shoes and casual clothing as some of the day will consist of traveling to various campus locations
- An umbrella and rain gear in case of inclement weather
- Sweater or sweatshirt, as temperatures may vary in meeting locations
- A printed copy of your New Student Orientation e-mail confirmation with details on check-in time, location and parking
Scheduling New Student Orientation
Once CMU has received and processed a student's enrollment deposit, they will be able to reserve an orientation date. Students will need their CMU Global ID and password to access the registration system. This reservation process will take approximately 15-20 minutes to complete. Click to start the reservation process.
Space for each orientation session is limited and is assigned on a first-come, first-serve basis.
CMU welcomes supporters to come to New Student Orientation for a day of learning and fun! While students will spend the day concentrating on the specific needs of their upcoming year, their family members and/or guests will attend special sessions learning how they can best support their students during their academic career. Family orientation highlights include:
- An opportunity to learn how to support your student's success
- A guided tour of CMU's campus
- Explanation of important university policies and procedures including parking permits, billing, tuition and banking
- A delicious meal at one of our residential restaurants
Those who would like to request an accommodation due to a special need or condition should contact the Orientation Office at (989) 774-6629 at least two weeks prior to a student’s orientation date.
Since program space is limited, New Student Orientation cannot accommodate friends who wish to go through the orientation process.