What is a College Positive Ambassador (CPA)?
The College Positive Ambassador program allows students to have the chance to further their leadership and professional development. In addition to the skill development this volunteer position can offer, this position will afford the individuals selected the opportunity to make change in the lives of the students he/she will serve in this position.
College Positive Ambassadors are our
“go-to” volunteers who are
granted priority consideration for
volunteer and professional
development opportunities. In addition, College Positive Ambassadors are
awarded official CMU MI GEAR UP/
Pathways gear and recognition on
the MI GEAR UP/Pathways website
and social media outlets.
How do I become a CPA?
The MI GEAR UP and Pathways to Academic Student Success programs are looking to fill ten College Positive
Ambassador volunteer positions for the upcoming fall semester. The time commitment
for this volunteer position could range from six to ten hours per week with some weekends and nights. DUTIES:
- Assist with the planning and execution of MI GEAR UP and Pathways events
- Lead team building activities
- Attend and help with field trips to Michigan colleges and universities
- Facilitate CMU campus tours and visits
- Create and conduct college themed workshops
- Present about the Pathways and MI GEAR UP programs to middle and high school students, CMU students,
CMU faculty, CMU staff, and other stakeholders
- Represent the MI GEAR UP/Pathways offices positively in and outside of the office
- Exhibit professional work habits
- Other duties as assigned
- Must be passionate about working with K-12 students
- Ability to work as a part of a team & good communications skills
- Flexible schedule & a strong work ethic
- Current college student
- College Positive Volunteer (CPV) certificate (required)
- Public speaking skills & critical thinking skills
About MI GEAR UP
MI GEAR UP facilitates student tutoring and mentoring, offers workshops on college preparation and financial aid, and
assists schools and teachers to better prepare students for college studies. MI GEAR UP is funded nationally by the
U.S. Department of Education and locally by the King Chavez Parks Initiative, MI Workforce Development Agency.
Pathways to Academic Student Success (Pathways) is a retention program at Central Michigan University. The program
is funded by a six-year Select Student Support Services (4S) grant which is administered via Michigan’s Work Force
Development Agency and the King-Chavez-Parks initiative.
Submit cover letter and resume to:
Mary Henley, Director MI GEAR UP/4S Pathways
108 Bovee Center, Mount Pleasant, MI 48859
(989) 774-1585 or firstname.lastname@example.org