​Effective Fall 2018, undergraduate, graduate and doctoral students who are United States (U.S.) residents shall qualify for in-state tuition rates. This does not apply to specialty programs with unique tuition rates. For the purposes of determining resident status by Central Michigan University (CMU), “domicile” is defined as the place where an individual intends his/her true, fixed and permanent home and principal establishment to be, and to which the individual intends to return whenever he or she is absent from CMU. The individual must demonstrate “domicile” within the U.S. as a U.S. citizen, or proven “domicile” in the defined territories, or outlying possessions, of the U.S. subject to the jurisdiction of the U.S. This policy is designed to explain how a student may demonstrate the required intent and establishment of domicile as defined prior. An individual whose activities and circumstances, as documented to CMU, demonstrate that he or she has established U.S. domicile in and intends to be domiciled in the U.S. will be eligible for classification as a resident. An individual whose presence in the U.S. is based on activities and circumstances that are indeterminate or temporary, such as (but not limited to) educational pursuits, will be presumed not to be domiciled. The burden of proof is on the applicant to demonstrate with clear and convincing evidence that he or she is eligible for resident classification under this policy. To overcome a presumption of non-resident status, a student must file a prop­erly completed Application for Resident Status and document with clear and convincing evidence domicile in the U.S. has been established. Furthermore, CMU reserves the right to audit enrolled or prospective students at any time with regard to eligibility for resident classification and to reclassify students who are registered under an improper resident status. 

If you are a new student currently applying for admission and have questions about your resident status, please contact:
Undergraduate students - Admissions
Graduate students - College of Graduate Studies
International students - Office of International Affairs

Resident Policy 
Please read CMU policy here.

If you are a current CMU student and have questions regarding a change in resident status, please contact:
Keith Malkowski
phone: (989) 774-3261
email: malko1kj@cmich.edu

Application for Resident Status for Tuition Purposes
Click here for a PDF file of this application. You will need the Adobe Acrobat Reader to print and view this file.

If your prefer, mail your name and postal address to:
CMU's Registrar,
Warriner Hall 212
Mount Pleasant, MI 48859
and a copy of the application will be mailed to you.