​How do I apply for undergraduate student housing?

  • First, thoroughly read the entire housing contract and all the Residence Life policies so you will have all of the information necessary to make an informed choice.
  • After you have been admitted to CMU and paid or deferred your enrollment reservation deposit, you will be sent an email to your CMICH account with housing information. The email contains our Residential Community Living Guide. Page four of the living guide provides the link to the housing application. You will need your CMU global ID and password to access the secure application system. You may obtain assistance with your global ID and password by contacting the CMU Help Desk at (989) 774-3662.
  • The housing application is an online process where you will select your meal plan, find roommates and choose your housing preferences.
  • You will receive an email the first part of May asking you to confirm your roommate and housing preferences by June 1.
  • The Office of Residence Life will assign you a living space based on your roommate and housing preferences. If you do not select a roommate, you will be assigned based on your housing preferences. Housing assignments will be sent via email by June 30. Roommate information is sent via email by August 6.

When is my first housing payment due?

  • Your first housing payment is due June 1.
  • If you apply for housing after these dates, you must submit your payment at the time you apply.
  • To request to postpone/defer the first housing payment, email reslife@cmich.edu.  Please include your name and student ID number.
  • Please make your check payable to Central Michigan University and include your name and student number on the check, as well as a notation that it is for your first room and board payment.

What is the priority for housing applications?

  • Returning residence hall students
  • First-year students
  • Transfer and other students

How do I apply for apartments for graduate students, non-traditional students, or for family housing?

To access the Graduate and Kewadin Village Apartment application information, please log into the housing application.

Just the facts

  • Undergraduate residents are expected to maintain at least 12 credit hours per semester.
  • Graduate residents are expected to maintain at least 6 credit hours per semester.
  • Each room/apartment is occupied by all men or women.
  • Each residence hall floor is coed.

Expanded Occupancy Rooms- Residence Halls

For a variety of reasons, there is a possibility that a residence hall may have expanded occupancy at the beginning of the fall semester. This means that five students may be assigned to suites. If a student is assigned to a five-person room, a daily rebate will be credited to each student´s account, until the fifth person is offered the opportunity to move to a four-person room.

Reduced Occupancy Rooms- Residence Halls

If space is available, reduced occupancy may be an option at an additional charge. The rates are:

  • 3 persons in a 4-person suite = one and one/quarter times the base room rate.
  • 2 persons in a 4-person suite = one and one/half times the base room rate.
  • 1 person in a 2-bedroom suite = one and one/half times the base room rate.

Single Rooms- Residence Halls

A very limited number of rooms have been designated for single occupancy. These rooms are contracted at the single room rate of one and one-half times the regular room rate.

Cancellation Policy

For specific details about the cancellation policy, cancellation fees, and cancellation of the housing contract, please go to the Office of Residence Life Housing Contract.