How does the room change process work?

The Office of Residence Life is committed to providing residents a comfortable, educational, diverse, and caring community where academic success, personal growth, and social responsibility are valued.

Research shows that living in a community with people from different backgrounds, values, personalities, and interests is an integral part of the college experience. Our goal is for students to learn from their on-campus living experience, so it is important to understand that a space change is not the first consideration when issues arise between roommates.

Sharing a living space with others can be stressful, and conflicts may arise.  We know that roommate conflict can be uncomfortable to deal with. However, there are benefits to experiencing conflict; these types of situations provide us with opportunities to strengthen our communication skills, better understand our values, and learn to compromise and negotiate-- all of these are necessary real-world skills.

Space changes are a last resort in dealing with roommate conflict except in emergency situations (e.g. physical violence). Guest visitation, differences of backgrounds, and use of alcohol are not treated as emergency situations. 

Approved space changes may take place beginning the third week of the semester (after two full weeks of classes). This gives Residence Life time to assign students that need assignments, process cancellations, and identify open spaces. Space changes typically are not granted during the summer term due to our facilities maintenance schedule.

Residence Life has very few open spaces during the academic year, so the opportunity for space changes is limited and not guaranteed.

Please keep in mind that the Office of Residence Life does not move students due to differences of race, ethnicity, religion and beliefs, sexual orientation, physical ability, or any other social identity.

How can I change my room if I do not get along my roommate?

If a request to change space is the result of difficulties with current roommate(s), the student will first have a conversation with their roommate(s) and communicate their concerns and needs. This conversation should take place in person (not by text or social media) in a manner that seeks to resolve, not escalate, the conflict.

No space change will be granted until the roommates have completed/modified the Roommate Agreement Workbook and attempted to mediate the conflict with the assistance and support of Residence Life staff. 

How can I change my room if I want to live with a specific friend or in a different, specific building?

If a student has a friend who has a vacancy in their room/apartment that they would like to move to, they should contact the Residence Hall Director (RHD) of that building to request the space change along with the friend. The RHD will determine if the move is approved. If approved, the student will be given a timeframe to complete the move. The student must check out of their current space with a staff member. 

Please note that there are times during the semester when RHDs have waiting lists for spaces in the building and may not be able to approve a specific request. 

Residence hall students will also receive information in October with information about space changes at semester.  These requests are granted based on available space.  Approved space changes must be completed prior to leaving for the winter break.

Space change requests and moves are time sensitive.  If a student fails to follow through within an allotted period of time, the space may be offered to a different student. 

What do I do as a parent/family member if my student is having issues with their roommate?

The best thing that a parent or family member can do for their student is to encourage them to talk to their roommate about the issue. Often times, the root issue between roommates is that there is not open communication between the roommates to discuss frustrations or concerns. If your student needs further assistance after trying to talk to their roommate, encourage your student to talk to their Resident Assistant or Inclusion Assistant or Residence Hall Director; they will work to mediate the situation with your student and their roommate.  It is important that your student communicates directly with Residence Life staff about their needs and concerns and not rely on parents or family members to address the concern.