The National Pan-Hellenic Council, Incorporated (NPHC) is composed of nine international Greek letter sororities and fraternities: Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc. Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc., Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc., Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Inc., Iota Phi Theta Fraternity, Inc., Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Inc., Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority, Inc. Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity, Inc. and Omega Psi Phi Fraternity, Inc. NPHC promotes interaction through forums, meetings and other mediums for the exchange of information and engages in cooperative programming and initiatives through various activities and functions.
On May 10, 1930, on the campus of Howard University, in Washington D.C., the National Pan-Hellenic Council was formed as a permanent organization with the following charter members: Omega Psi Phi and Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternities, and Alpha Kappa Alpha, Delta Sigma Theta and Zeta Phi Beta Sororities. In 1931, Alpha Phi Alpha and Phi Beta Sigma Fraternities joined the council. Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority joined in 1937 and Iota Phi Theta Fraternity completed the list of member organizations in 1997.
The stated purpose and mission of the organization in 1930 was “Unanimity of thought and action as far as possible in the conduct of Greek letter collegiate fraternities and sororities, and to consider problems of mutual interest to its member organizations.” Early in 1937, the organization was incorporated under the laws of the State of Illinois and became known as “The National Pan-Hellenic Council, Incorporated.”
Central Michigan University is currently home to eight of the organizations in the Divine Nine, the Rho Delta Chapter of Alpha Phi Alpha, Theta Theta Chapter of Delta Sigma Theta, Sigma Kappa Chapter of Zeta Phi Beta, Eta Rho Chapter of Kappa Alpha Psi, Zeta Theta Chapter of Iota Phi Theta, Mu Theta Chapter of Sigma Gamma Rho, Lambda Gamma Chapter of Phi Beta Sigma and Omicron Beta Chapter of Omega Psi Phi.