Counseling and Mental Health Services

Counseling and Mental Health Services Brochure.pdf


  • Quick reference on where to find help
  • On-campus and local mental health services
  • Student behavior expectations
  • Tips for students with histories of mental health concerns

Quick reference on where to find help

Often family and friends can offer support and assistance in finding help. In addition:

On-campus residents

Talk with your Resident Assistant, Multicultural Advisor, Residence Hall Director, a Counselor in Residence, a counselor in the Counseling Center at 989-774-3381, or Listening Ear, which is available 24/7 at 989-772-2918.

Off-campus residents

Contact the Counseling Center at 989-774-3381 or Listening Ear, which is available 24/7 at 989-772-2918.

Suicide Prevention Lifeline

Contact the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline, a national, 24-hour, toll-free suicide prevention service in cases of suicidal crisis. Individuals seeking help can dial (800) 273-TALK (8255). They will be routed to the closest possible provider of mental health and suicide prevention services. The NSPL Web site is

More information and other people or agencies to contact for assistance may be found on the Counseling Center's Web site:

Listening Ear provides a 24-hour crisis line at (989) 772-2918. The Web site is

Challenged by college life?

You are not alone.

Central Michigan University's primary mission is to provide a quality education for its students. This includes a commitment to assist students in adjusting to college life and reaching their full personal and academic potential.

The university provides limited support services to assist students with emotional and psychological issues or relapses of previous mental health conditions that may be brought on by the transition to college.

It is not uncommon for students to have past or current experiences with depression, anxiety, bipolar disorder, borderline personality disorder, addiction, substance abuse, eating concerns, and other mental health concerns. In addition, some students struggle as a result of past or current physical, emotional, or sexual trauma, and others have difficulty coping with relationship issues.

If you have a history of mental health concerns or currently are taking a psychotropic medication, you may find comfort in knowing that you're not alone. Many students have received psychological and psychiatric assistance while growing up; others have experienced their first psychological or psychiatric challenges while in college. Some students require ongoing treatment for chronic conditions.

Comprehensive counseling services, the advancement of psychotropic medications, and the implementation of the Americans with Disabilities Act have provided unprecedented opportunities for individuals with mental health concerns to attend college and successfully complete a college education.

The faculty and staff at CMU care about their students and wish to support all students in their transition to college. Among other things, this brochure:

  • Provides realistic expectations about the availability and limitations of campus-based mental health resources
  • Identifies the behavior expectations for all students
  • Provides recommendations that may help ease the transition to college for students with mental health concerns

On-campus services

Counseling Center

102 Foust Hall
(989) 774-3381


Mental health professionals and some graduate student trainees staff the Counseling Center. The center provides free and confidential services for currently enrolled CMU students for various issues and concerns that may negatively impact one's academic success, interpersonal relationships, health or safety. Services include short-term/time-limited individual and group counseling, consultation, and referral for:

  • Personal issues. Dealing with personal issues such as an urgent situation or crisis, anxiety, depression, loneliness, transition to college concerns, identity, alcohol/drug abuse, eating concerns, stress management, relationship concerns, family stress, loss, relapse prevention, sexual orientation, strengthening coping skills, and personal growth and development
  • Academic success. Improving academic success by reducing stress and focused anxiety (e.g., test, math, speech), and learning time management skills
  • Survivor support. Assisting primary and secondary survivors of sexual and domestic violence, stalking, and harassment

Most counseling services are free, but there may be a modest fee to cover costs associated with assessment and testing, which are used as needed. Community referral information is available at the Counseling Center and at the Web site.

Counselors in Residence

East Area Student Success Center
(989) 774-1879
North Area Student Success Center
(989) 774-3947
South Area Student Success Center
(989) 774-3089
Towers Student Success Center
(989) 774-6601

Sponsored by the Office of Residence Life, the Counselors in Residence program places licensed professional counselors directly in the residence halls. Their mission is to provide staff consultation, support, crisis intervention, and proactive prevention efforts addressing mental health issues, and to act as a bridge to partner offices supporting the personal growth and academic progress of students. Services are free.

Psychological Training and Consultation Center

Carls Center
Health Professions Building 2104
(989) 774-3147

The Psychological Training and Consultation Center provides psychological assessment and counseling services to community residents of all ages who live in central and northern Michigan. The center offers general clinical psychology services as well as specialized services and research-based programs coordinated by Department of Psychology faculty in areas such as anxiety, trauma, violence reduction, attention disorders, health-related problems, neuropsychology, and learning disabilities.

Graduate students in the clinical and school psychology programs staff the center. Faculty members who are licensed psychologists supervise these graduate students. In general, services provided at PTCC are not eligible for insurance reimbursement, and insurance companies are not billed. Charges for services are based on a sliding fee scale.

Center for Community Counseling and Development

321 Education and Human Services Building
(989) 774-3532

Graduate students in the counselor education program provide counseling services to CMU students and community residents of all ages. Counselor education students talk with clients concerning academic, social, relationship, or personal issues and use various counseling approaches to work with individuals, families, and children. Licensed professional counselors or licensed psychologists supervise these graduate students. Evening hours are available. Services are free for CMU students. A modest fee is charged for others seeking clinical services.

University Health Services

200 Foust Hall/103 Cobb Hall 
Appointments: (989) 774-5693
Pharmacy: (989) 774-6590
Telecommunication Device for the Deaf: (989) 774-3055

University Health Services is staffed by physicians, physician assistants, and/or nurse practitioners and provides health care services to CMU students and their spouses. Services are comparable to those offered in a family physician's office, including the diagnosis and treatment of illnesses and injuries, physical examinations, immunizations, and women's health care. An on-site pharmacy and laboratory are available. Orders from outside providers are accepted.

University Health Services does not employ a psychiatrist, but referrals to local psychiatrists or psychiatric services in the student's home area are provided when needed. University Health Services physicians can prescribe some psychotropic medications and will work with a student's psychiatrist regarding medication management.

There are charges for services, but payment is not required on the date of the visit. The student is responsible for payment of the total amount of the charges. Courtesy insurance billing is provided. An optional student health insurance plan is available.

Student Disability Services

120 Park Library
(989) 774-3018​

CMU encourages students with psychiatric disabilities to register with Student Disability Services. A psychiatric disability is defined as a diagnosed mental illness or disorder that may substantially limit a person's ability to function in one or more major life activities. A psychiatric disability may affect a student's capacity to successfully perform academic tasks.

A student who has been evaluated by an appropriate mental health professional and has current disability documentation can register with Student Disability Services. He or she then may be entitled to reasonable accommodations, which may include additional time for tests.

Mount Pleasant services

Community Mental Health

Services for Central Michigan can be reached at (989) 772-5938 or

Other resources

A partial listing of community resources is available at the Counseling Center Web site

Community resources also are listed in local telephone books. There is no inpatient psychiatric facility in Mount Pleasant, but such facilities are available nearby in Alma and Midland.

Medical emergency

Services are available 24 hours a day at McLaren Central Michigan Hospital in Mount Pleasant. Call (989) 772-6700, or dial 911 in emergency situations.

Listening Ear help and referral

Listening Ear in Mount Pleasant,, provides a 24-hour crisis and referral help line at 989-772-2918.

More Information

Counseling Center
102 Foust Hall
Central Michigan University
Mount Pleasant, MI 48859
(989) 774-3381

Behavior expectations for CMU students

CMU holds individuals accountable for their behavior and holds all members of the university community to the same behavior expectations. Individual behavior must conform to community standards of health, safety, and noninterference with the living and learning environment of others. Some students may find it difficult to conform to community behavior expectations. Our hope is that awareness of behavior expectations, and obtaining assistance when needed to meet these expectations, will help students reach their academic and social potential.

Behavior that is dangerous to the individual or others, and behavior that significantly disturbs the living and/or learning environments of others, is not considered acceptable in this community.

Following is part of the CMU Code of Student Rights, Responsibilities, and Disciplinary Procedures:

3.2.8. Self-injurious Behavior/Attempted Suicide. A student shall take no action that threatens or endangers his or her own safety, health, or life, nor shall a student make any verbal threat of such action. This includes such behaviors as suicide attempts, cutting, refusing treatment for life-threatening illnesses or conditions (e.g., eating disorders).

If university personnel become aware of such behavior, referral to appropriate assistance and/or discipline may follow. The student's emergency contact person(s) also may be notified in certain situations. CMU encourages individuals in need of help to seek assistance. The university will not tolerate significant negative impact of an individual's behavior on the living and learning environment of others.

This position in no way limits the confidential nature of the physician/patient and mental health professional/client relationship that is defined by law and professional ethics.

Working within the limits defined above, mental health and medical professionals are available on campus when requested to assist students. Often this work involves helping students learn how to comply with community behavior expectations.

Confidentiality. Mental health and medical professionals provide confidential assistance unless required by law or professional ethics to take action to attempt to protect the individual or other(s) from imminent danger or serious or foreseeable harm (e.g., loss of life, child abuse or neglect, physical abuse of a vulnerable adult, threats of killing or harming an identified person, etc.) or when legal requirements demand that confidential information must be revealed.  If there is imminent danger or serious or foreseeable harm to the individual or others, professional ethics and legal responsibilities then require mental health and medical professionals to take steps to attempt to protect the individuals involved.  

Tips for students with histories of mental health concerns

While the university provides limited support services, students are encouraged to proactively address their mental health concerns prior to arriving on campus. These recommendations will help students with past or present mental health challenges prepare for the transition to college.

  • Plan ahead. Start planning now for a healthy transition to college.
  • Don't wait. If you have put off getting help, don't wait any longer. The stresses of leaving home and the transition to college may result in the worsening of your symptoms.
  • Seek help. Meet with your psychiatrist, medical doctor, and/or mental health professional(s) to review medications you currently may be taking, discuss anticipated stresses related to this transition, and develop relapse prevention strategies.
  • Try counseling. Contact the Counseling Center or a Counselor in Residence and make an appointment to develop an action plan. Our counselors provide short-term counseling and crisis assistance and will help you connect with other campus and community resources.
  • Continue treatment. Consider continuing to meet periodically with your current mental health professional during your first semester at college rather than starting counseling with someone new.
  • Take proper meds. Take your medication as prescribed. Be careful to not self-medicate using alcohol, other drugs, or food.
  • Get adequate rest. Increased stress and lack of sleep often are factors in the recurrence of a mental health concern.
  • Know your symptoms and what to do. Know what you are going to do if symptoms of your condition begin to recur or intensify and respond quickly. This can minimize the possible negative impact of a relapse on academic and social activities.
  • Explore services in advance. Familiarize yourself with campus and local community mental health resources prior to coming to campus. Residence Life staff members are excellent sources of assistance and referral for students living in campus housing.
  • Disabilities. If you have a disability, you are encouraged to register with the CMU Student Disability Services Office.

CMU, an AA/EO institution, strongly and actively strives to increase diversity within its community (see 

Produced by University Communications and printed by CMU Printing Services. UComm 8357-24,500 (6/10)