Click or touch to view the PowerPoint.
The guide describes key steps for providing PFA including how to approach someone in need, how to talk to them, how to help stabilize someone, and how to gather information. Appendices include resources about service delivery sites and settings, provider care, and worksheets and handouts. The Guide is translated into English, Spanish, Japanese, Norwegian, Simplified Chinese, and Chinese.
The manual includes handouts for survivors and provider self-care information adapted to higher education institutions.
PFA Tutorial Mobil App
The free PFA Mobile app can assist responders who provide PFA to adults, families, and children. The app allows responders to:
- Read summaries of the 8 core PFA actions.
- Match PFA interventions to specific stress reactions of survivors.
- Get mentor tips for applying PFA in the field.
- Self-assess to determine their readiness to conduct PFA.
- Assess and track survivors' needs to simplify data collection and referrals.
PFA Training Resources
YouTube: Psychological First Aid – Minnesota Department of Health (11 minutes)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sa7WiL1xwQg
For supporting information see: Minnesota Psychological First Aid Training Resourceshttp://www.cidrap.umn.edu/practice/minnesota-psychological-first-aid-training Includes:
- PFA Presentation for Local Health Departments
- PFA Presentation for K-12 Schools
- PFA Pocket Card for Providers
- PFA Provider Self-Care Pocket Card
University of Minnesota PHET Series: Crisis Intervention During Disaster
(Approximately 20-40 minutes) http://www.sph.umn.edu/ce/online/
Psychological First Aid (PFA): Helping People Cope During Disasters & Public Health Emergencies (Approximately 53 minutes)http://www.emprints.hawaii.edu/training/course.aspx?ID=65&cat=1
Training on Psychological First Aid (Approximately 6 hours)
PFA training can be provided face-to-face or online http://learn.nctsn.org/;http://learn.nctsn.org/course/category.php?id=11 ). This is a 6-hour interactive course that puts the participant in the role of a provider in a post-disaster scene. This professionally narrated course is for individuals new to disaster responses who want to learn the core goals of PFA, as well as for seasoned practitioners who want a review. It features innovative activities, video demonstrations, and mentor tips from the nation's trauma experts and survivors. PFA online also offers a Learning Community where participants can share about experiences using PFA in the field, receive guidance during times of disaster, and obtain additional resources and training.
Handouts for Survivors
PFA Handouts for Survivors (English only)
PFA Aid Handouts for Survivors (English, Spanish, Japanese, Chinese, Simple Chinese, Norwegian) http://www.nctsn.org/content/psychological-first-aid
When Terrible Things Happen What You May Experience
Grief and Loss
- About Grief http://www.helpguide.org/articles/grief-loss/coping-with-grief-and-loss.htm#resources
- Coping with Bereavement http://www.nmha.org/index.cfm?objectid=C7DF9618-1372-4D20-C807F41CB3E97654
- Coping with Grief and Loss http://www.helpguide.org/mental/grief_loss.htm
- Supporting a Grieving Person: Helping Others Through Grief and Losshttp://www.helpguide.org/mental/helping_grieving.htm
Additional Resources for Survivors of Suicide. Most of this information is relevant to all grief and loss situations.
- Beyond Surviving: Suggestions for Survivors by Iris M. Bolton http://www.intheforefront.org/sites/default/files/Beyond%20Surviving-%20Suggestions.pdf
- Surviving a Suicide Some Immediate Suggestions http://www.survivorsofsuicide.org/TipsForSurvivors.htm
- Suicide and Surviving Suicide Related Resources http://www.didihirsch.org/suicide-prevention-resources
Tips for Survivors of a Disaster or Traumatic Event and Helpers
Tips for Survivors of a Disaster or Traumatic Event: What to expect in your personal, family, work, and financial life http://store.samhsa.gov/shin/content//SMA13-4775/SMA13-4775.pdf
Tips for Survivors of a Disaster or Other Traumatic Event: Managing Stresshttp://store.samhsa.gov/product/Tips-for-Survivors-of-a-Disaster-or-Other-Traumatic-Event-Managing-Your-Stress/SMA13-4776?WT.mc_id=EB_20130918_SMA13-4776
Tips for Talking With and Helping Children and Youth Cope After a Disaster or traumatic Event: A Guide for Parents, Caregivers, and Teachers http://store.samhsa.gov/product/Tips-for-Talking-With-and-Helping-Children-and-Youth-Cope-After-a-Disaster-or-Traumatic-Event-A-Guide-for-Parents-Caregivers-and-Teachers/SMA12-4732?WT.mc_id=EB_20130918_SMA13-4732
Handouts for PFA Providers, Crisis Workers, and Supervisors
PFA Provider Care http://kccrb.ky.gov/NR/rdonlyres/800406B0-55B2-48D6-A087-B0984C256865/258391/DEEPPsyFAProviderCare.pdf
PFA for First Responders http://store.samhsa.gov/shin/content/NMH05-0210/NMH05-0210.pdf
A Guide to Managing Stress in Crisis Response Professionshttps://store.samhsa.gov/shin/content/SMA05-4113/SMA05-4113.pdf
Managing Stress During a Crisis A Guide for Supervisorshttps://www.osha.gov/SLTC/emergencypreparedness/resilience_resources/support_documents/supervisorintra/intradeployment_supervisors.html