Welcome to Group Counseling
Group counseling helps people solve problems and enhance their personal growth and development. Your progress will depend primarily upon the nature of your problems and how hard you work to solve them.
Information You Should Know About Group Counseling:
- Group counseling involves personal, academic, or career concerns with group members.
- There is no fee.
- Discussions within the group are confidential except when the counselor believes a person might act on the idea of harming him/herself or someone else, when child abuse or neglect is reported, or when information is requested by court order. If you are receiving individual counseling within the center, the group leader may choose to communicate with your individual counselor. If this is a concern to you please discuss it with your counselor.
- The number of sessions the group meets is determined by the counselor.
- Some of the groups will close or not accept new members after a few weeks. If members need to miss a session, contact with the counselor prior to the session will be appreciated. If at any time you wish to stop attending the group tell your counselor. This will allow us to serve students best.
- If you are uncomfortable with your attending the group, please discuss this with your counselor and/or the group. Decisions to stop group or switch to individual counseling often are appropriate choices and will be respected. On occasion, counselors will make referrals to appropriate resources in the community.
Feel free to discuss questions or concerns you might have about the Counseling Center with any of our counselors.
Fall Semester 2016
Grief and Loss Student Support Group
Open to CMU students who have experienced any type of loss, recently or in the past. This group will be held on Fridays, starting Sept. 16 - Nov. 18, 2016 at 1:00 p.m. in Foust Hall 103. Please call the Counseling Center at 989-774-3381 or email Julie at email@example.com
A confidential, counselor-facilitated support group for LGBTQ+ individuals and to feel positive about their sexual and gender identity. Join Cory Cole, LMSW on Fridays at 2:00 p.m. beginning Sept. 23 - Oct. 14 in Foust 106. Please call the Counseling Center at 989-774-3381 or email Cory at firstname.lastname@example.org
New to CMU!
Come and meet others just like you and get information on CMU Counseling Center and resources to help you through challenging life events! Join Atefeh Jenrow, MA, LPC, LLP, NCC every Thursday from Sept. 15 - Oct. 6 at 3:00 p.m. in Foust 106. Questions? Contact the Counseling Center at 989-774-3381 or email Atefeh email@example.com
Stress and Anxiety Management Group
Learn basic relaxation skills you can use at anytime! Please join Melissa Hutchinson, MA, LPC, NCC on Fridays, beginning Sept. 23 at 11:00 a.m. in Foust 103. Contact the Counseling Center at 989-774-3381 or email Melissa at firstname.lastname@example.org
Understand Your Challenging Family!
This 5 week group will explore, share and teach coping skills to deal with challenging family members. Led by Kristie Birchmeier, MA, LPC starting Friday, Sept. 9 from 10:00 a.m. and located in Foust Hall 103. Please contact the Counseling Center at 989-774-3381 or email Kristie at email@example.com
International Student Support Group
1 hour support group running for the fall semester aims to explore
your thoughts and feelings about arriving and studying in a new country,
as well as offering new perspectives and skills to cope with situations
that involve interacting in a different way. Every Friday, starting Sept. 8, 2016 at 3:00 p.m. in Foust Hall 103. Call the Counseling Center at 989-774-3381 or email Chun Fang Frank Kuo, Ph.D., LLP firstname.lastname@example.org
Intimate Partner Violence Support Group
For those who have experienced or continue to experience power and control tactics by a current or former partner. Every Tuesday, starting Sept. 20, 2016 at 2:00 p.m. in Foust Hall 103. Call the Counseling Center at 989-774-3381 or email Megan at email@example.com
Sexual Assault Survivors Support Group
A support group for CMU students who have experienced a recent or past sexual assault. Every Thursday, starting September 15, 2016 at 3:00 p.m. in Foust Hall 103. Call the Counseling Center at 989-774-3381 or email Megan at firstname.lastname@example.org
The Counseling Center has a 24-foot diameter canvas labyrinth. Labyrinth workshops are available for classes and RSOs. The labyrinth path is a symbol for one's life journey and can be walked individually or collectively. The walk offers opportunities for reflection, relaxation, creativity, problem solving, and team building. Please contact Michelle Bigard at email@example.com or by calling 989-774-3381.