Welcome to Group Counseling
Group counseling helps people solve problems and enhance their personal growth and development. Your progress will depend primarily upon the nature of your problems and how hard you work to solve them.
Information You Should Know About Group Counseling:
- Group counseling involves personal, academic, or career concerns with group members.
- There is no fee.
- Discussions within the group are confidential except when the counselor believes a person might act on the idea of harming him/herself or someone else, when child abuse or neglect is reported, or when information is requested by court order. If you are receiving individual counseling within the center, the group leader may choose to communicate with your individual counselor. If this is a concern to you please discuss it with your counselor.
- The number of sessions the group meets is determined by the counselor.
- Some of the groups will close or not accept new members after a few weeks. If members need to miss a session, contact with the counselor prior to the session will be appreciated. If at any time you wish to stop attending the group tell your counselor. This will allow us to serve students best.
- If you are uncomfortable with your attending the group, please discuss this with your counselor and/or the group. Decisions to stop group or switch to individual counseling often are appropriate choices and will be respected. On occasion, counselors will make referrals to appropriate resources in the community.
Feel free to discuss questions or concerns you might have about the Counseling Center with any of our counselors.
Fall Semester 2016
Grief and Loss Student Support Group
Open to CMU students who have experienced any type of loss, recently or in the past. This group will be held on Fridays, starting Sept. 16 - Nov. 18, 2016 at 1:00 p.m. in Foust Hall 103. Please call the Counseling Center at 989-774-3381 or email Julie at firstname.lastname@example.org
A confidential, counselor-facilitated support group for LGBTQ+ individuals and to feel positive about their sexual and gender identity. Join Cory Cole, LMSW on Fridays at 2:00 p.m. beginning Sept. 23 - Oct. 14, 2016 in Foust 106. Please call the Counseling Center at 989-774-3381 or email Cory at email@example.com
New to CMU!
Come and meet others just like you and get information on CMU Counseling Center and resources to help you through challenging life events! Join Atefeh Jenrow, MA, LPC, LLP, NCC every Thursday from Sept. 15 - Oct. 6, 2016 at 3:00 p.m. in Foust 106. Questions? Contact the Counseling Center at 989-774-3381 or email Atefeh firstname.lastname@example.org
Stress and Anxiety Management Group
Learn basic relaxation skills you can use at anytime! Please join Melissa Hutchinson, MA, LPC, NCC on Fridays, beginning Sept. 23, 2016 at 11:00 a.m. in Foust 103. Contact the Counseling Center at 989-774-3381 or email Melissa at email@example.com
Understand Your Challenging Family!
This 5 week group will explore, share and teach coping skills to deal with challenging family members. Led by Kristie Birchmeier, MA, LPC starting Friday, Sept. 9, 2016 from 10:00 a.m. and located in Foust Hall 103. Please contact the Counseling Center at 989-774-3381 or email Kristie at firstname.lastname@example.org
International Student Support Group
1 hour support group running for the fall semester aims to explore
your thoughts and feelings about arriving and studying in a new country,
as well as offering new perspectives and skills to cope with situations
that involve interacting in a different way. Every Friday, starting Sept. 8, 2016 at 3:00 p.m. in Foust Hall 103. Call the Counseling Center at 989-774-3381 or email Chun Fang Frank Kuo, Ph.D., LLP email@example.com
Intimate Partner Violence Support Group
For those who have experienced or continue to experience power and control tactics by a current or former partner. Every Tuesday, starting Sept. 20, 2016 at 2:00 p.m. in Foust Hall 103. Call the Counseling Center at 989-774-3381 or email Megan at firstname.lastname@example.org
Sexual Assault Survivors Support Group
A support group for CMU students who have experienced a recent or past sexual assault. Every Thursday, starting Sept. 15, 2016 at 3:00 p.m. in Foust Hall 103. Call the Counseling Center at 989-774-3381 or email Megan Varner at email@example.com
Graduate Student Support Group
The Graduate Student Support Group is a forum for graduate students to gather in an open and motivational community to give and receive support related to the concerns that develop from or interfere with their graduate studies. Every Friday, starting Sept. 23, 2016 at 9:00 a.m. in Foust Hall 103. Call the Counseling Center at 989-774-3381 or email Michelle Bigard at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Counseling Center has a 24-foot diameter canvas labyrinth. Labyrinth workshops are available for classes and RSOs. The labyrinth path is a symbol for one's life journey and can be walked individually or collectively. The walk offers opportunities for reflection, relaxation, creativity, problem solving, and team building. Please contact Michelle Bigard at email@example.com or by calling 989-774-3381.