Welcome to Group Counseling
Group counseling helps people solve problems and enhance their personal growth and development. Your progress will depend primarily upon the nature of your problems and how hard you work to solve them.
Information You Should Know About Group Counseling:
- Group counseling involves personal, academic, or career concerns with group members.
- There is no fee.
- Discussions within the group are confidential except when the counselor believes a person might act on the idea of harming him/herself or someone else, when child abuse or neglect is reported, or when information is requested by court order. If you are receiving individual counseling within the center, the group leader may choose to communicate with your individual counselor. If this is a concern to you please discuss it with your counselor.
- The number of sessions the group meets is determined by the counselor.
- Some of the groups will close or not accept new members after a few weeks. If members need to miss a session, contact with the counselor prior to the session will be appreciated. If at any time you wish to stop attending the group tell your counselor. This will allow us to serve students best.
- If you are uncomfortable with your attending the group, please discuss this with your counselor and/or the group. Decisions to stop group or switch to individual counseling often are appropriate choices and will be respected. On occasion, counselors will make referrals to appropriate resources in the community.
Feel free to discuss questions or concerns you might have about the Counseling Center with any of our counselors.
COUNSELING CENTER GROUP
CALL 989-774-3381 FOR INFORMATION
Summer Semester 2016
International Student Support Group
This 1 hour support group running for the summer semester aims to explore your thoughts and feelings about arriving and studying in a new country, as well as offering new perspectives and skills to cope with situations that involve interacting in a different way. Every Thursday
, starting May 19, 2016 at 2:00 p.m.
in Foust Hall 103. Call the Counseling Center at 989-774-3381 or email Chun Fang Frank Kuo, Ph.D., LLP firstname.lastname@example.org
Sexual Assault Survivor Support Group
The group is open to CMU students who have experienced past or current experiences of sexual assault. This group will meet once a week on Thursdays starting June 9, 2016 at 3:00 p.m.
in Foust 103.
Call or email Megan Varner with any questions; 989-774-3381 or email@example.com
Graduate Student Support Group The goal of this group is to establish support for concerns relating to graduate school. Join Frank Kuo, Ph.D, LLP on Tuesdays at 2:00 p.m. in Foust Hall 103. Questions? Please call the Counseling Center at 989-774-3381 or email Frank at firstname.lastname@example.org
Labyrinth Workshops. The Counseling Center has a 24-foot diameter canvas labyrinth. Labyrinth workshops are available for classes and RSOs. The labyrinth path is a symbol for one's life journey and can be walked individually or collectively. The walk offers opportunities for reflection, relaxation, creativity, problem solving, and team building. Please contact Michelle Bigard at email@example.com or by calling 989-774-3381.
Fall Semester 2016
Grief and Loss Student Support Group Open to CMU students who have experienced any type of loss, recently or in the past. This group will be held on Fridays, starting Sept. 16 - Nov. 18, 2016 at 1:00 p.m. in Foust Hall 103. Please call the Counseling Center at 989-774-3381 or email Julie at firstname.lastname@example.org
LGBTW+ A confidential, counselor-facilitated support group for LGBTQ+ individuals and to feel positive about their sexual and gender identity. Join Cory Cole, LMSW on Fridays at 2:00 p.m. beginning Sept. 23 - Oct. 14 in Foust 106. Please call the Counseling Center at 989-774-3381 or email Cory at email@example.com
New to CMU! Come and meet others just like you and get information on CMU Counseling Center and resources to help you through challenging life events! Join Atefeh Jenrow, MA, LPC, LLP, NCC every Thursday from Sept. 15 - Oct. 6 at 3:00 p.m. in Foust 106. Questions? Contact the Counseling Center at 989-774-3381 or email Atefeh firstname.lastname@example.org
Stress and Anxiety Management Group Learn basic relaxation skills you can use at anytime! Please join Melissa Hutchinson, MA, LPC, NCC on Fridays, beginning Sept. 23 at 11:00 a.m. in Foust 103. Contact the Counseling Center at 989-774-3381 or email Melissa at email@example.com
Understand Your challenging Family! This 5 week group will explore, share and teach coping skills to deal with challenging family members. Led by Kristie Birchmeier, MA, LPC starting Friday, Sept. 9 from 10:00 a.m. and located in Foust Hall 103. Please contact the Counseling Center at 989-774-3381 or email Kristie at firstname.lastname@example.org
International Student Support Group This
1 hour support group running for the fall semester aims to explore
your thoughts and feelings about arriving and studying in a new country,
as well as offering new perspectives and skills to cope with situations
that involve interacting in a different way. Every Friday, starting Sept. 8, 2016 at 3:00 p.m. in Foust Hall 103. Call the Counseling Center at 989-774-3381 or email Chun Fang Frank Kuo, Ph.D., LLP email@example.com