Welcome to Group Counseling
Group counseling helps people solve problems and enhance their personal growth and development. Your progress will depend primarily upon the nature of your problems and how hard you work to solve them.
Information You Should Know About Group Counseling:
- Group counseling involves personal, academic, or career concerns with group members.
- There is no fee.
- Discussions within the group are confidential except when the counselor believes a person might act on the idea of harming him/herself or someone else, when child abuse or neglect is reported, or when information is requested by court order. If you are receiving individual counseling within the center, the group leader may choose to communicate with your individual counselor. If this is a concern to you please discuss it with your counselor.
- The number of sessions the group meets is determined by the counselor.
- Some of the groups will close or not accept new members after a few weeks. If members need to miss a session, contact with the counselor prior to the session will be appreciated. If at any time you wish to stop attending the group tell your counselor. This will allow us to serve students best.
- If you are uncomfortable with your attending the group, please discuss this with your counselor and/or the group. Decisions to stop group or switch to individual counseling often are appropriate choices and will be respected. On occasion, counselors will make referrals to appropriate resources in the community.
Feel free to discuss questions or concerns you might have about the Counseling Center with any of our counselors.
COUNSELING CENTER GROUP
CALL 989-774-3381 FOR INFORMATION
Spring Semester 2016
International Student Support Group
This 1 hour support group running for the fall semester aims to explore your thoughts and feelings about arriving and studying in a new country, as well as offering new perspectives and skills to cope with situations that involve interacting in a different way. Every Friday
, starting January 15, 2016 at 3:00p
in Foust Hall 103. Call the Counseling Center at 989-774-3381 or email Chun Fang Frank Kuo, Ph.D., LLP email@example.com
Stress and Anxiety Management Group
Learn basic relaxation skills you can use at anytime! Please join Atefeh Jenrow, LLP on Wednesdays beginning January 27 at 2:00 p.m.
or Melissa Hutchinson, MA, LPC starting Friday, January 29 beginning at 11:00 a.m. Both groups will be held in Foust Hall 103.
Call the Counseling Center at 989-774-3381 or email Melissa firstname.lastname@example.org
or Atefeh email@example.com
with any questions.
Understand Your Challenging Family!
Learn coping skills to deal with the negative emotional social effects of growing up in a dysfunctional family. Join Kristie Birchmeier, MA, LPC in Foust Hall 103 every Friday, January 22, 2016 at 1:00 p.m.
Call or email Kristie with any questions, 989-774-3381 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Sexual Assault Survivor Support Group
The group is open to CMU students who have experienced past or current experiences of sexual assault. This group will meet on Thursdays
from 3:00 - 3: 50 p.m.
starting January 14, 2016
in Foust Hall 103. Call or email Megan Varner with any questions; 989-774-3381 or email@example.com
Intimate Partner Violence Support Group For those who have experienced or continue to experience power and control tactics by a current or former partner. This is a safe place to discuss safety, empowerment and options. This group will meet on Tuesdays, starting January 26 at 3:00 p.m. in Foust Hall 103. Call or email Megan Varner with any questions, 989-774-3381 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Grief and Loss Support Group An opportunity to share, explore, and work through your grief with others who have experienced loss. Join Julie Wellman, MA, LLPC on Thursday, starting January 28 at 4:00 p.m. in Foust Hall 103. Questions? Call the Counseling Center at 989-774-3381 or email Julie email@example.com
LGBTQ+ A confidential counselor-facilitated support group for LGBTQ+ individuals and to feel positive about their sexual and gender identity. Join David Solomon, MA and Cory Cole, MSW, LMSW on Friday at 2:00 p.m. starting January 22 in Foust Hall 103. Questions? Please call the Counseling Center at 989-774-3381 or email David at firstname.lastname@example.org
Graduate Student Support Group The goal of this group is to establish support for concerns relating to graduate school. Join Cody Dodd, B.S. and Michelle Bigard, MSW, LMSW on Fridays at 1:00 p.m. in Foust Hall 106. Questions? Please call the Counseling Center at 989-774-3381 or email Cody at email@example.com
Labyrinth Workshops. The Counseling Center has a 24-foot diameter canvas labyrinth. Labyrinth workshops are available for classes and RSOs. The labyrinth path is a symbol for one's life journey and can be walked individually or collectively. The walk offers opportunities for reflection, relaxation, creativity, problem solving, and team building. Please contact Michelle Bigard at firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 989-774-3381.