Welcome to Group Counseling
Group counseling helps people solve problems and enhance their personal growth and development. Your progress will depend primarily upon the nature of your problems and how hard you work to solve them.
Information You Should Know About Group Counseling:
- Group counseling involves personal, academic, or career concerns with group members.
- There is no fee.
- Discussions within the group are confidential except when the counselor believes a person might act on the idea of harming him/herself or someone else, when child abuse or neglect is reported, or when information is requested by court order. If you are receiving individual counseling within the center, the group leader may choose to communicate with your individual counselor. If this is a concern to you please discuss it with your counselor.
- The number of sessions the group meets is determined by the counselor.
- Some of the groups will close or not accept new members after a few weeks. If members need to miss a session, contact with the counselor prior to the session will be appreciated. If at any time you wish to stop attending the group tell your counselor. This will allow us to serve students best.
- If you are uncomfortable with your attending the group, please discuss this with your counselor and/or the group. Decisions to stop group or switch to individual counseling often are appropriate choices and will be respected. On occasion, counselors will make referrals to appropriate resources in the community.
Feel free to discuss questions or concerns you might have about the Counseling Center with any of our counselors.
COUNSELING CENTER GROUP
CALL 989-774-3381 FOR INFORMATION
Fall Semester 2015
International Student Support Group
This 1 hour support group running for the fall semester aims to explore your thoughts and feelings about arriving and studying in a new country, as well as offering new perspectives and skills to cope with situations that involve interacting in a different way. Every Friday
, starting September 4, 3:00p - 4:00p
. Foust Hall 103. Call the Counseling Center at 989-774-3381 or email Chun Fang Frank Kuo, Ph.D., LLP email@example.com
Stress and Anxiety Management Group
Learn basic relaxation skills you can use at anytime! Please join Melissa Hutchinson, MA, LPC in Foust Hall 103 starting Friday, September 25, 2015 at 11:00 a.m.
Call the Counseling Center at 989-774-3381 or email Melissa firstname.lastname@example.org
with any questions.
Understand Your Challenging Family!
Learn coping skills to deal with the negative emotional social effects of growing up in a dysfunctional family. Join Kristie Birchmeier, MA, LPC in Foust Hall 103 every Friday, September 18, 2015 at 1:00 p.m.
Call or email Kristie with any questions, 989-774-3381 or email@example.com
Sexual Assault Suvivor Support Group
The group is open to CMU students who have experienced past or current experiences of sexual assault. This group will meet on Thursdays
from 3:00 - 3: 50 p.m.
in Foust Hall 103. Call or email Megan Varner with any questions; 989-774-3381 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Grief and Loss Support Group An opportunity to share, explore, and work through your grief with others who have experienced loss. Join Julie Wellman, MA, LLPC on Fridays, starting September 18 at 2:00 p.m. in Foust Hall 103. Questions? Call the Counseling Center at 989-774-3381 or email Julie email@example.com
LGBTQ+ A confidential, counselor-facilitated support group for individuals at any stage of the coming out process. Starting Thursday, September 24, 2015 at 1:00 p.m. in Foust 103. Please call the Counseling Center at 989-774-3381 or email David firstname.lastname@example.org
Labyrinth Workshops. The Counseling Center has a 24-foot diameter canvas labyrinth. Labyrinth workshops are available for classes and RSOs. The labyrinth path is a symbol for one's life journey and can be walked individually or collectively. The walk offers opportunities for reflection, relaxation, creativity, problem solving, and team building. Please contact Michelle Bigard at email@example.com or by calling 989-774-3381.