Making a Referral to the Counseling Center
Central Michigan University

1. If you are concerned about a student and want to refer her/him to a counselor, privately and directly tell the student that based on her/his behavior you are concerned and think counseling may be helpful. Provide specific examples of behaviors that have led to your concern.

2. Inform the student of Counseling Center services and that counseling for currently enrolled students is free and confidential. Students may see the counselor of their choice. The Counseling Center’s website has information on services provided, how to contact us, location, emergency resources and staff.

3. Talk about any concerns the student has about seeking help. Many people are reluctant to seek help believing that doing so is a sign of weakness. However, facing and dealing with one’s problems takes strength and courage. We all need help at some point in time. If the student does not want to speak with a counselor from the Counseling Center, we can assist in linking the student to other campus and community resources.

4. We are flexible. Based on the student’s preference, you or someone else may accompany the student to the Counseling Center and/or appointment.

5. If possible, while you are meeting together ask the student to make the appointment by calling 989-774-3381. Inform the person who answers the phone if you or the student believes that he/she needs to be seen immediately, on the same day the call is made, or soon. We have urgent and emergency appointments available Monday through Friday 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. for these situations and at other times when the university is open hours are 8:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m. and 1:00 p.m. - 5:00 p.m. A counselor may be reached through CMU Police (989-774-3081). Discuss with the student if he/she believes it would be helpful for you to provide information to the counselor about your concerns or if you want to provide referral information, and how to do this. Typically this information is helpful.

6. Remember that suggesting to someone that they seek counseling is a recommendation that may or may not be followed. People do have the right to decline counseling. If you are concerned due to the student not following through on your recommendation please call the Counseling Center for consultation.

7. If you are concerned about a student’s immediate safety, follow the steps identified on the Office of Student Affairs website (

8. Follow up with the student in a few days or so to show your continued interest in her/his well being and perhaps ask whether or not your recommendation for counseling has been followed.

9. Counseling is confidential with some limitations (see If you are in a position to require documentation that the student you referred has actually spoken with a counselor, discuss this with the student and ask the student to discuss this with his/her counselor. Without the student’s consent, we cannot inform you if the student has kept an appointment or provide any other information.

10. Contact the Counseling Center at 989-774-3381 if we can be of any assistance.

August 1, 2007   ​​