Make an Appointment
Call the Counseling Center on 989-774-3381 or stop by Foust Hall 102 to make an appointment. Office hours are Monday-Friday, 8 am to 5 pm during the Fall and Spring semesters. Office hours during the Summer and other times when CMU is open are Monday-Friday, 8 am to noon and 1 pm to 5 pm.
Students need to schedule an appointment to be seen. There are no walk-in sessions offered. Emergency and urgent appointments are available throughout the day. Tell the receptionist if you need to be seen immediately and every effort will be made to ensure you will be seen the same day you call. Please call as early in the day as possible to schedule an urgent or emergency appointment.
Your First Appointment and Client Paperwork
When you visit the Counseling Center for your initial appointment, please plan to arrive 15 minutes early to complete the required paperwork (OR) we encourage you to print and complete the Client Paperwork 2016-2017 and bring it with you to your initial appointment. For security reasons, we cannot accept client paperwork via email.
Updated paperwork will need to be completed for each semester you are seen at the Counseling Center.
While You're Waiting for an Appointment
Please see the handout While You're Waiting for a Counseling Appointment for suggestions, ideas, and resources you may find helpful in taking good care of yourself and addressing the concerns you would like to discuss in counseling.
Cancellations and Not Showing for Appointment
Counseling services are in high demand. In order to accommodate all students requesting appointments, we require that you notify the Counseling Center AT LEAST 24 HOURS IN ADVANCE of canceling an appointment. You may be taken off your counselor's calendar if you "no show" for an appointment without calling to cancel or repeatedly cancel appointments.
During times of peak demand for counseling services, students may have to be placed on a waitlist. The waitlist means that you are simply waiting for a counselor who has an open spot on their schedule. The time a student remains on the waitlist varies. Feel free to check in with our office staff if you have questions about wait time. While a student is on the waitlist, Crisis/Emergency counseling is still available during our normal hours of operation.
While waiting, other options you may wish to consider include:
- Attending one or more Student Support Groups we offer throughout the year.
- Review our While You're Waiting for a Counseling Appointment resource sheet which is a collection of self-help information.
- Review the Supportive Resources section of this website for a larger and more complied collection of self-help information.
- Other counseling options you may want to consider include:
- CMU Psychology Training & Consultation Center (PTCC), 989-774-3147.
- CMU Center for Community Counseling & Development, 989-774-3532.
- A local counseling provider in the community, see our Counseling Resource sheet for more information.