The Psychological First Aid Field Operations Guide (2006)
The guide describes key steps for providing PFA including how to approach someone in need, how to talk to them, how to help stabilize someone, and how to gather information. Appendices include resources about service delivery sites and settings, provider care, and worksheets and handouts. The Guide is translated into English, Spanish, Japanese, Norwegian, Simplified Chinese, and Chinese.
Psychological First Aid: Field Operations Guide
United States Department of Veterans Affairs
Includes manual, provider worksheets, handouts for survivors, etc. http://www.ptsd.va.gov/professional/manuals/psych-first-aid.asp The Psychological First Aid (PFA) Manual A Guide for Responding to Emergencies at Colleges and Universities http://mha.ohio.gov/Portals/0/assets/Supports/EmergencyPrepardness/psychological-first-aid.pdf
The manual includes handouts for survivors and provider self-care information adapted to higher education institutions.PFA Tutorial Mobil Apphttp://www.sph.umn.edu/pfatutorial/#about_home
The free PFA Mobile app can assist responders who provide PFA to adults, families, and children. The app allows responders to:
PFA Training Resources
- Read summaries of the 8 core PFA actions.
- Match PFA interventions to specific stress reactions of survivors.
- Get mentor tips for applying PFA in the field.
- Self-assess to determine their readiness to conduct PFA.
- Assess and track survivors’ needs to simplify data collection and referrals.
YouTube: Psychological First Aid - Minnesota Department of Health
For supporting information see: Minnesota Psychological First Aid Training Resources http://www.cidrap.umn.edu/practice/minnesota-psychological-first-aid-training
- PFA Presentation for Local Health Departments
- PFA Presentation for K-12 Schools
- PFA Pocket Card for Providers
- PFA Provider Self-Care Pocket Card
University of Minnesota Series: Crisis Intervention During Disaster
(Approximately 20-40 minutes) http://www.sph.umn.edu/ce/online/
Psychological First Aid (PFA): Helping People Cope During Disasters & Public Health Emergencies (Approximately 53 minutes