WHILE YOU ARE WAITING FOR A COUNSELING APPOINTMENT. . .
At the CMU Counseling Center, we place a high priority on being accessible to students. During some times of the semester the demand for services exceeds our staff resources and there is a longer wait to see a counselor. When this occurs, the usual wait time is 1-2 weeks to be scheduled for a new client appointment. We recognize that coming to counseling takes strength and courage, and waiting can be frustrating. Please know that we are doing our best to assist students with a minimal wait while maintaining the highest quality of care. Urgent appointments are always available during weekdays.
While waiting for or instead of a counseling appointment, consider the following options:
- First, be sure to take good care of yourself: Talk with trusted friends and / or family members, call a helpline (989-772-2918), get a good night’s sleep, eat a healthy meal, rest, exercise, go for a walk, go to class, have some fun, write your thoughts and feelings down in a journal, breathe
- Other CMU centers that offer free or low-cost counseling services to CMU students:
- If you are seeking a medication referral and not counseling, consider contacting your family physician or a CMU Health Services medical provider (989-774-5693, Foust Hall).
If you are experiencing an urgent situation or psychological emergency, Counseling Center counselors are available weekdays from 8:00 a.m. to noon and 1:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m. For an Urgent Appointment, call the center to schedule an appointment. The following are examples of emergencies or urgent situations:
- Urges to hurt yourself or someone else
- Surviving a recent assault
- Recent death of loved one
- Hearing voices that aren’t there
For psychological emergencies during the evenings or weekends, try these resources:
Call 911; call 211 for referral assistance
Central Michigan University Counseling Center
102 Foust Hall
Mt. Pleasant, MI 48859