Procedures to Follow
Below are basic procedures to follow when students, parents, faculty or staff are seriously concerned about a student’s health or safety (e.g., threat to self or others, unable to care for oneself, noticeable change in one’s appearance or behavior, verbal statements.) The purpose of these procedures is to provide assistance to concerned individuals in their efforts to support a student’s health, safety and academic success, and to promote the safety and well-being of others.
1. If there is concern about immediate or imminent violence by the student to himself / herself or others, call 911 or 774-3081 on-campus.
2. For consultation or when in doubt about what to do, contact your supervisor, department chair, or any of the following offices:
- CMU Police Department 774-3081
- Counseling Center 774-3381 (In an after hours mental health emergency call CMU Police who will contact the on-call counselor.)
- Office of Student Affairs 774-3346
- Office of Student Conduct 774-1345
- Health Services 774-6599
3. In general, follow these steps when an immediate threat does not exist and you are concerned about a student’s health, safety or behavior:
- Talk directly with the student.
- Share your concern with the student.
- Offer your support and assistance by informing the student of available resources.
- Follow up with the student to see how the student is doing.
- Ask for documentation that the student is receiving assistance as appropriate.
- Inform your supervisor or department chair of the situation.
- If the student is not cooperative and you have serious concern about the student’s health, safety, or behavior, inform any of the following as appropriate to the situation: your supervisor or department chair, the CMU Police Department, the Office of Student Affairs, the Office of Student Conduct, or the Counseling Center.
4. Additional Resources