​The Staff of Student Disability Services at Central Michigan University is guided by a model of student empowerment. In this we are part of a team of faculty and staff that recognizes that college is a time of transition for all students. We know that students with disabilities face the same challenges as every college bound young adult plus the challenges related to limitations imposed by disabilities. Even so, a successful transition into an independent, self-advocating individual should be every college student's goal. Therefore...

  • "We do nothing about you, without you" - Any action regarding access to services, seeking special assistance or providing reasonable accommodation must be initiated by you.
  • "We speak with you, not about you" - All communication in any matter related to you flows through you.
  • "No one speaks for you, or acts for you but you" - We look to you to express your needs, provide us with information that will help us assist you, and keep in contact with us.

Federal Law requires this. University policies require this. But most importantly, our desire to provide you with the best service in this time of transition requires this.                

Such a philosophy marks a major change for all students leaving high school and entering college. Those who assist you, support you, and care for you will also be making significant adjustments. The time for dependence is coming to a close.

Appropriate parental involvement must take place within the boundaries set by law, by good sense and by keeping the long term best interest of the emerging young adult in mind. Such involvement as it relates to University life most often involves advising and encouraging the college life from the sidelines. Only the most extreme circumstances, such as those that seriously threaten the health of the student, allow for direct parental involvement.

You have already taken an enormous step into the world of self-reliance and responsibility. You have applied to and been accepted by CMU. What is your next step?

Services and support are available on campus for students who have a documented disability which significantly affects major life functions. You should consider applying for registration with Student Disability Services if:

  • You have a documented disability that significantly affects major life functions
  • You had an IEP in high school
  • You are a client of Vocational Rehabilitation, Commission for the Blind, or other related agency
  • You were registered with Disability Services at another college

CMU has many services for students, offered by various offices. Although decisions regarding disability specific accommodations are made on a case by case basis, view the Accommodations Link for information on services most often provided, in general, for each type of disability​​​​​