Emotional Support Animals (ESA) are not allowed on campus until you have received final approval.  If you bring an unauthorized animal to campus you are subject to the following policy:


Unauthorized Animals - Residents observed or reported to have an unauthorized animal will be assessed an immediate fine of $50 and given 48 hours to remove the animal. If the animal is not removed within 48 hours a $25 fine will be assessed for every day the animal remains on the premise and the student may be referred to the Office of Student Conduct.

Central Michigan University's Therapy / Emotional Support Animal Policy is available here.

Here is a list to get you started with what is needed. 

  • Register for services with our office (www.cmich.edu/sds)
  • Call us to review the policy together
  • Documentation of your disability from a medical or mental health provider
  • Documented effective animal therapy (e.g. a note from whomever can verify you’ve had a pet in the past that relieved symptoms for you, including how and to what extent your symptoms were alleviated; if this has been discussed with your counselor, they can provide that information in a letter to us)
  • Proof of your ongoing counseling/treatment
  •  Vet records including a clean bill of health and up-to-date immunization records
  • Proof of dog license (if it’s a dog)
  • Meet with us in our office to sign the policy

Once all of the needed information is submitted, and the policy is signed, we will provide you with a collar tag and notify Residence Life of the approval.  Residence Life will then reach out to any roommates you have to ensure there are no concerns (allergies, etc.) prior to them giving you the okay to bring the animal to campus.

Feel free to call our office with any other questions or to further go over the policy.