Assistance animals are not allowed on
campus until you have received final approval.
If you bring an unauthorized animal to campus you are subject to the following policy:
Unauthorized Animals - Residents observed or reported to
have an unauthorized animal will be assessed an immediate fine of $50 and given
48 hours to remove the animal. If the animal is not removed within 48 hours a
$25 fine will be assessed for every day the animal remains on the premise and
the student may be referred to the Office of Student Conduct.
Central Michigan University's Assistance Animal Policy is available here.
Here is a list to get you started with what
- Register for services with our office (www.cmich.edu/sds)
- Call us to review the policy together
- Complete the Assistance Animal Form
- Proof of your ongoing counseling/treatment
- Vet records including a clean bill of health and up-to-date immunization
- Proof of dog license in Isabella County, MI (if it’s a dog)
- Meet with us in our office to sign the policy
Once all of the needed information is submitted and the
policy is signed, we will provide you with a collar tag and notify Residence
Life of your paperwork status. Residence Life will then reach out to any
roommates you have to ensure there are no concerns (allergies, etc.). You
will also need to meet with your RHD/RD to discuss assistance animal expectations and provide
emergency caregiver information prior to Residence Life giving you the final
approval to bring the animal to campus.
Feel free to call our office at 989-774-3018 with any
other questions or to further go over the policy.