Hunger and food insecurity affect thousands of individuals and families around the country every day. At CMU, as many as one in every three students may be experiencing hunger. The Student Food Pantry and meal swipe donation program support students who need a little extra help.
- The Student Food Pantry, located beneath the Robinson Residential Restaurant, is open weekly from 5:00-7:00 p.m. Tuesdays and noon to 3:00 p.m. Fridays. If you are experiencing food insecurity, please complete the Food Pantry Online Request Form two days in advance on the CMU Student Food Pantry Engage Central page to register for a food pickup. The Student Food Pantry also offers care products (hygiene, cleaning, some kitchen, and school supplies), too. The Student Food Pantry will be open during the summer!
- During the academic year (September-early May), blocks of 10 meal swipes are available to eligible students and can be used in any campus residential restaurant. Please complete the Meal Swipe Registration Form to register for a 10 meal swipe block. This program is sustained through the donation of unused guest meal swipes from fellow students. The Meal Swipe Program will be available again beginning August 30, 2021.
Student Food Pantry
The CMU Student Food Pantry works to alleviate the challenges and hardships of food insecurity that approximately one in three CMU students encounter during their academic career. The food pantry provides much needed support for students so they can remain enrolled and ultimately achieve a degree. During the academic year, the Student Food Pantry is open weekly on 5:00-7:00 p.m. Tuesdays, 3:00-5:00 p.m. Wednesdays, and noon to 3:00 p.m. Fridays. Starting May 10, 2021, the Student Food Pantry will transition to summer hours which are Tuesday 5:00 p.m. - 7:00 p.m. and Friday 12:00 p.m. - 3:00 p.m. or by appointment.
Frequently Asked Questions
Where is the pantry located?
The CMU Student Food Pantry is located under the Robinson Residential Restaurant near the North Campus Success Center. The address for the pantry is 1 Algonquin Ct, Mt Pleasant, MI 48858.
Where are the requirements to receive food?
The pantry is open to any currently enrolled CMU student. We verify enrollment but do not have any financial eligibility requirements. Students sign a statement acknowledging a need for food assistance.
Will the Student Food Pantry be open during the summer?
Yes, the Student Food Pantry will be open during the summer. The hours are Tuesday 5:00 p.m. - 7:00 p.m. and Friday 12:00 p.m. - 3:00 p.m. or by scheduling an appointment through emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. To sign up for a distribution please complete an online request form above which can also be found on our Engage Central portal.
How can I help support the Student Food Pantry?
Donations for the Student Food Pantry and Care Pantry can be dropped off at the Volunteer Center located in the Bovee University Center, room 106. Please see the list of donation needs linked below and on the CMU Student Food Pantry Engage Portal.
Are there any other places to receive food?
Yes! Please check out this pdf for food resources in the surrounding area. You will need to call to confirm operations are updated. Many are likely to have changed in response to COVID-19.
Are there any places to receive hygiene or cleaning products?
Yes! The Student Food Pantry offers care products, such as personal hygiene, cleaning products, and limited school supplies to CMU students.
Are there any other types of resources for students in need?
Clothing Inc. - www.clothinginc.org
Care Store - https://www.facebook.com/thecarestorehelpspeople/
Financial Wellness Collaborative - www.cmich.edu/finwell
Isabella County Restoration House - www.icrhouse.org
General Resource Assistance - dial 211
How do I refer a student to the CMU Student Food Pantry?
Please complete the referral form on the Student Food Pantry Engage Central page and we'll reach out directly to the student with information about resources available at CMU and in the community. Thank you for supporting CMU students.
To request a block of 10 meal swipes, please complete the Meal Swipe Registration Form in the CMU Student Food Pantry Engage Central Platform. The Meal Swipe Donation Program is closed for the summer and will open the first week of the Fall 2021 Semester.
- You will receive confirmation that your request has been submitted via Engage Central.
- Once approved, the 10 meal swipes will be added to your card by the end of the next business day.
- You may request meal swipes once per semester.
- If you need additional help, please call the Volunteer Center at (989) 774-7685 or email us at email@example.com
- Students can help support this program by donating their unused guest meal swipes in the CentralCard Office, UC 209.
Frequently Asked Questions
Who can request meal swipes?
Any current CMU student who does not have a meal plan, including FLEX dollars, may request a block of 10 meals by completing the Meal Swipe Registration Form on the CMU Student Food Pantry Engage Central Platform.
I have a meal plan. Can I still get help?
Students with an existing meal plan are not currently eligible to receive additional meal swipes, but help is still available. Any student may receive food at the CMU Student Food Pantry, and those who need additional help can speak to a Care Advocate about additional support available by calling (989) 774-2273.
I requested meals; when will I receive them?
It takes approximately one full business day for meals to appear on your account. For example, if you submit your request Monday before 5:00 p.m., your meals should appear on your card by 5:00 p.m. the following Tuesday evening. Requests submitted on Friday will appear before 5:00 p.m. the following Monday. Requests submitted during university breaks or holidays may require additional time to process.
How can I help?
Resident students can stop by the CentralCard Office (UC 209) during open hours of operation to donate unused guest meal swipes and contribute to the bank of available meals anytime after the last day to change meal plans each semester.
Mount Pleasant Community Resources:
- Community Compassion Network Pantry (1114 W High St) is open for drive through distributions: Please refer to ccnfeeds.org for more information and transportation resources.
- The Isabella Community Soup Kitchen (621 S Adams St) is serving a sack lunch from 11:00 am- 1:00 pm every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Please register
- Max & Emily's, located downtown Mount Pleasant (125 E Broadway), is offering meals to people in need every day from 11:00 am- 2:00 pm. Please mention People Helping People (PHP).
- Salvation Army (1715 S Mission) has food boxes available by appointment only Monday-Friday from 9:00-noon, and 1:00 pm-4:00 pm. Please call 989-773-4663.
- Please call 211 for additional assistance.
Other questions about any of these programs?
Please call the Mary Ellen Brandell Volunteer Center at (989) 774-7685 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.