Student Information

Information for Students

Recycling During Move-In

Whether you are moving into an on or off campus living space, please don't forget to keep your recyclables, like your cardboard and Styrofoam, separate from your trash during move-in! There are Maroon recycling tanks located near the dumpsters at almost every campus building. Students living on campus should recycle their cardboard at the tank nearest to their residence hall, and students living off campus may bring their recycling to any campus recycling tank! There are Styrofoam collection bins on the first floor of every residence hall (check the kitchenettes or lobby) and off campus students can bring their styrofoam directly to the Isabella County Recycling Center located on River Rd.

Living On Campus


Each apartment should have an individual recycling bin that the residents may keep inside to collect their recycling, and on Fridays, they should place the bin outside at their doorstep. Mid-Michigan Industries will be collecting the recycling every Friday between noon and 4pm.

If you do not have a recycling bin and would like one, please contact your apartment supervisor

How to prepare your recyclables for MMI:

  • Cardboard should be broken down
  • Mixed paper should be bagged
  • Plastic bottles and jugs, aluminum, and glass (clear and brown only) should be loose
  • Newspaper, magazines, catalogues should be loose

Other recyclables - if you have any of these items, please call 774-6547 so the recycling coordinators may come pick them up.

  • Batteries
  • Ink cartridges
  • Electronics
  • CD/DVDs
  • Styrofoam
  • Hard cover books

Residence Halls

Each floor has recycling receptacles in their kitchenettes, study rooms or lobbies for cardboard, comingled containers, paper, and newspaper/magazines. Students may either take the recycling from their rooms to the receptacles on their floor, or they may take their recycling straight to the Maroon recycling tank outside near the dumpster (each door on the tank is labeled with what material should go where). Separation is important in either case because the county recycling center, where our material is processed, does not have a way to separate materials as meticulously as we can by hand.

Miscellaneous recyclables can be deposited in the blue bin at the front desk of each residence hall. These items include:

  • Small electronics
  • Batteries
  • Ink Cartridges
  • Hard cover books
  • Cell phones
  • CDs/DVDs

Each hall has a styrofoam recycling receptacle on the first floor of their building. Ask your RA or MA if you need help finding it.

Living Off Campus

Students living in apartments or houses off campus can bring their recycling directly to CMU and deposit it in one of the recycle tanks located near dumpsters all across campuses. To prepare material properly:

  • Plastic bottles and jugs, glass (clear and brown only), and aluminum should be placed in a plastic bag together
  • Newspapers, magazines, soft cover books, etc should be loose
  • Cardboard should be broken down and loose
  • Mixed paper should be in a plastic bag
  • PLEASE PLACE THE MATERIAL IN THE PROPER SECTION OF THE RECYCLE TANK! Each door on all tanks is labeled with what material goes where!

For disposal of miscellaneous recyclables, call 774-6547 and ask the recycling coordinators what to do!

If bringing your recyclables to campus is inconvenient, contact the Isabella County Recycling Center at (989) 773-9631 and ask about curbside pick up services - they may be available for your residence!

Moving Out

Don't throw perfectly useful items in the dumpster!

Live on campus?

  • In your residence hall lobby, there are boxes set up to collect tons of various items that you don't want anymore! From half-used laundry detergent to hangers, they will collect it all and give it to people in need!
  • If you want to get rid of furniture or bigger items, reach out to programs on campus that might be able to repurpose/donate those larger items.

Miss out on those opportunities? Contact some local collection agencies to donate!

  • Isabella County Soup Kitchen: accepts non-perishable foods
    • Address: 621 South Adams St. Mount Pleasant            MI        48858  USA
    • Email:
    • Phone: (989) 772-7392
  • Goodwill Mount Pleasant: accepts all types of clothing in any condition and furniture
    • Address: 4529 E Blue Grass Rd, Mt Pleasant, MI 48858
    • Phone: (989) 773-4884
  • Salvation Army: accepts all types of clothing and furniture
    • Address: 1717 S Mission St, Mt Pleasant, MI 48858
    • Phone: (989) 772-7991

Prominent Sustainably Driven RSOs

·         Student Environmental Alliance (SEA)

o    "Student Environmental Alliance exists to promote environmental awareness, protection, and sustainability through education and activism."

·         Take Back the Tap (TBTT)

o    "The purpose of Take Back the Tap is to end the sale of bottled water on the campus of Central Michigan University and encourage students, faculty, and staff to drink tap water and use reusable bottles instead of buying disposable bottled water. Take Back the Tap highlights the social, economic, and environmental problems with bottled water and aim to raise awareness of the consequences of the use of single-use bottled water. Take Back the Tap is part of a campaign run by Food and Water Watch, a non-profit organization working with grassroots organizations to create an economically and environmentally viable future."

·         Students Advocating for Vegetarian and Veganism (SAVV)

o    "Are you a vegetarian/vegan looking for support from others? Interested in becoming vegetarian/vegan? Want to learn more about a cruelty-free lifestyle? SAVV is dedicated to educating our campus and community about the many benefits of being vegetarian/vegan. Meetings and events will cater to bringing vegetarian/vegan students together and making a positive change!"

·         Campus Grow (CG)

o    "Campus Grow exists to offer our community healthy and sustainable alternatives to the industrial food system through access to fresh local food and educational gardening opportunities. As members we strive to achieve an overall consciousness of sustainability and environmental issues and promote such initiatives within our organization and in our daily lives."

·         Parks and Outdoor Recreation Coalition (PORC)

o    "The Parks and Outdoor Recreation Coalition exists to promote stewardship and conservation of public lands, facilitate professional development and networking opportunities, provide outdoor recreational experiences, and organize volunteering and service projects to benefit park and recreation organizations and students."

Contacts for these organizations can be found on their Orgsync pages. Reach out and get involved! (