Higher education has changed significantly over the past two decades. Institutions expanded programs and facilities with significant enrollment increases from the millennial generation and need to continue to adjust accordingly for smaller generations of students, now and in the future. Technological change, modalities of teaching and learning, geographic barriers to access, and non-traditional educational providers entering the education market are just a small sample of pressures facing higher education. Societal, student, and market needs are constantly changing, which requires higher education to be nimble moving forward.
CMU has contracted with Huron Consulting to provide support throughout the review and to share valuable insight from similar engagements across the country. During the fall semester, we will review historical information, financial data, related universities policies and practices, budget models at other similar institutions, and engage the campus community through working groups focused on the following areas: academics, research, administrative, operational and student support, and auxiliary functions. In the spring semester, CMU will design the model and use it in the creation of the FY 2022-2023 operating budget.
The new budget model will facilitate a strong financial future for CMU, both in the near-term and long-term. The new budget model will be the foundation that supports CMU’s transition to all funds-budgeting and will include a sound resource allocation methodology that reflects CMU as we see it today, while also allowing flexibility to adapt with future changes in higher education.
- Nick Long, Chief Financial Officer – Vice President for Finance and Administrative Services*
- Jennifer DeHaemers, Vice President – Student Recruitment and Retention
- Mary Schutten, Executive Vice President/Provost – Academic Division
- Jennifer Cotter, Executive Director of Advancement and Campaigns
- Ray Christie, Senior Vice Provost – Academic Administration*
- Mary Jane Flanagan, Chief of Staff to the President – Office of the President
- Joe Garrison, Executive Director – Financial Planning and Budgets*^
- Mary Hill, Associate Vice President/Controller – Financial Services and Reporting
- Shaun Holtgreive, Interim Associate Vice President – Student Affairs*
- Paula Lancaster, Dean – College of Education and Human Services
- Mark Lehman, Faculty/Department Chair – Herbert H. and Grace A. Dow College of Health Professions*
- Chris Moberg, Dean – College of Business Administration
- Kim Rademacher, Manager/Business Operations – Auxiliary Services
- Robert Roe, Executive Director – Academic Planning and Analysis
- Jonathan Webb, Associate Vice President – Facilities Management
* denotes Budget Priorities Committee Member
^ denotes CMU internal project leader