Work Related Fire Safety

Don't overload circuits. Avoid multiple plugs in the same outlet.

Don't use extension cords under rugs, over hooks, or through door openings. The cord may become worn and short circuit.

Use only those appliances and extension cords with a testing agency label.

Replace any worn cord or plug that has cracks or visible damage.

Know at least two ways out of your work area.

Know the location of the closest manual fire alarm station and don't be afraid to pull it if you discover a fire!

Know the location and type of the closest fire extinguisher.

  • Type A includes ordinary combustibles such as fibrous materials, wood, paper, cloth, rubber and some plastics.
  • Type B includes flammable or combustible liquids such as propane, gasoline, kerosene, paint, paint thinners, or grease fires.
  • Type C includes energized electrical equipment such as appliances, switches, panel boxes, and power tools.
  • Type D includes combustible metals such as magnesium, titanium, potassium, and sodium.

Most of the extinguishers at CMU are ABC extinguishers which are good for Type A, Type B, and Type C fires. Some fire extinguishers, however, are only for one type of fire. It is important to know the difference. Using the wrong type of extinguishing agent on a fire can make the situation worse and can put you and others in greater danger. You are not required to fight a fire at work and should only do so if you have been trained in its use and limitations!

If you have to evacuate the building, do so quickly. After evacuating, meet in the designated area for your department and let your supervisor or someone in charge know that you are safe.

Do not leave the area until told to do so and do not re-enter the building until it is all clear.


If you have questions or need further information please contact the Risk Management, Environmental Health & Safety Office at (989) 774-7398 or ​