Facility Usage Insurance Requirements
When outside groups use University facilities for activities, that group's liability insurance must cover the activity. Examples of this may include: dances, conferences, camps, athletic events, and fundraising activities. Outside groups must provide a certificate of insurance one-week in advance of the event, verifying that they have the appropriate lines and limits of liability insurance. The certificate should be mailed to Ben Coffman, Risk Management, Environmental Health & Safety, Central Michigan University, 1303A West Campus Drive, Mt. Pleasant, MI 48859, or faxed to (989) 774-1303 or emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The outside group's certificate must reflect the following details to be acceptable:
- The certificate must name Central Michigan University as the Certificate Holder.
- The General Liability coverage limit must be no less than $1,000,000 per occurrence. Note: The outside group may be required to provide higher limits and/or additional lines of insurance such as Auto Liability, Umbrella Liability and/or Workers' Compensation in accordance to the activity.
- The certificate must name Central Michigan University as an additional insured.
- The insurance policy period must be current for the scheduled activity date(s).
- The dates and type of activity must be listed in the description portion of the insurance certificate.
- The cancellation portion of the certificate must state advance notice of cancellation will be delivered in accordance with the policy provisions.
The contact for the outside group may be unfamiliar with the purchase of insurance. The group contact may purchase liability insurance from any insurance agency or broker (look in phone book or search online to obtain names of local insurance agents or brokers).
The group contact may also apply online at http://www.marshcampus.com/cmich for a Tenant User Liability Insurance Policy (TULIP), which fulfills the General Liability insurance requirement you need to use a Central Michigan University facility for your event.
Or, in some cases, a national affiliation or an individual's homeowner's insurance policy may be endorsed to cover an event.
The group should select the insurance program that best fits their needs while meeting the minimum insurance requirements for the use of University facilities.
VIEW PRINTABLE VERSION
Insurance Requirements for Vendors on CMU Premises
Vendors providing services on the premises of CMU must provide Certificates of Insurance evidencing the following coverages prior to admittance to the premises. The vendor is to procure and maintain the required insurance at their own expense.
- Commercial General Liability insurance including premises and operations, product liability, completed operations liability, contractual liability and broad form property damage liability with minimum limits of $1,000,000 each occurrence for bodily injury and property damage, $2,000,000 aggregate.
- Automobile liability for all trucks, trailers, or other motor vehicles owned, hired, operated or used by the Vendor on CMU premises with minimum limits of $1,000,000 each occurrence for bodily injury and property damage.
- Workers' Compensation for all of its full-time and part-time employees in accordance with the laws of the State of Michigan, including alternate employer endorsement and Employers' Liability with limits no less than $1,000,000 per accident for bodily injury or disease.
- Excess Liability (Umbrella) with $1,000,000 limits.
- Central Michigan University must be named as an additional insured on General Liability, Excess (Umbrella) and Automobile Liability policies. Insured versus Insured exclusion must be removed.
- The Vendor may be required to provide higher limits and/or additional lines of insurance such as Errors & Omissions/Professional Liability, Pollution Liability, Cyber Liability in accordance to the service provided.
The certificate must reflect the following detail to be acceptable:
- The certificate(s) must name Central Michigan University as the Certificate Holder.
- The certificate(s) must indicate Central Michigan University as an additional insured on commercial general liability and auto liability.
- The policy period is current for the dates indicated for the scheduled activity.
- In the description portion of the insurance certificate, the service type, contract number or project name need to be indicated.
- The cancellation portion of the certificate must state advance notice in accordance with the policy provisions.
The certificate should be directed to:
Risk Management, Environmental Health & Safety
Central Michigan University
1303A West Campus Drive
Mt. Pleasant, MI 48859
Fax: (989) 774-1303
The Vendor agrees to forward immediately to the CMU Director of Risk Management, Environmental Health & Safety renewal certificates of insurance should any of the insurance coverage evidenced expire during the term of the contract.
PREPARED BY CMU RISK MANAGEMENT, ENVIRONMENTAL HEALTH & SAFETY
VIEW PRINTABLE VERSION