Students sponsored by an employer or third-party agency have certain responsibilities to fulfill in order to have tuition assistance applied to their accounts.
- must provide a valid authorization from the paying agency prior to the tuition due date
- must pay any balance not covered by the authorization by the tuition due date.
- is responsible for providing Student Account Services and University Billing with updated authorization information as per terms established by the authorizing agency
Authorization to Bill Requirements
Agencies must provide the university with authorization to be billed for a student's charges.
An authorization documents a commitment to pay designated education expenses for a student and as well as approval to be invoiced. An authorization must include:
- student's full name and CMU student ID number
- semester or specific date range authorized for payment
- specific charges covered (tuition, fees, books, living expenses, etc.)
- minimum/maximum amount or flat rate per credit hour covered, if applicable
- legal name of the agency and contact information
- signature and date by an authorized individual
- high school dual-enrolled students: authorization must include the specific courses approved for payment
Approved tuition assistance vouchers may be sent by email to email@example.com
or by mail to:
Central Michigan University
Attn: Tuition Assistance
Smith Hall #103
Mount Pleasant, MI 48859
**Include your student number with all mailed correspondence for accuracy and timely processing**
Application of Tuition Assistance
Upon receipt of a valid authorization, a credit will be placed on the student's account in the amount of the pending payment. If a balance remains, the student should pay immediately to avoid account holds.
The credit is not indicative of an actual payment from the agency. It is a placeholder to prevent fees and holds while an invoice is prepared and until payment is received. A detailed invoice will be sent to the agency after each semester's drop/add period.
Payment is due from the third party agency within 30 days of receipt of the invoice.
If payment is not received from the agency, any credit will be reversed from the student's account and the student will be responsible for payment. The student will be notified by email if credit is reversed after the add/drop period. Late fee(s) and/or account holds may apply.
Third-Party Agency Resources
Requests for aid must be made on the AmeriCorps website.
Department of Military and Veterans Affairs
DANTES Distance Learning Programs for Extended Learning Students
ROTC - Army Reserve Officer Training Corps
Department of Military Affairs - Army
Children of Veterans Tuition Grant
VA Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment (Chapter 31)
Forever GI Bill
State of Michigan
MET - Michigan Education Trust
You may also contact the MET office directly at (800)-638-4543.
MET - Declare a Major Form
Workforce Investment Act - Adult / Dislocated Worker Program