Managed by TIAA Tuition Financing, Inc.
IRC Section 529
Create an account to save for a child's higher education.
Check out the benefits of the Michigan Education Savings Plan (MESP). Please see website for full details and criteria of the plan.
- It is easy to get started - Call Toll free # 1-877-861-MESP (6377) or website:
- Forms - All forms are on the website
- Payroll deduction now being offered at CMU, low minimum contributions of $25.00 or $15.00 if payroll deduction.
Procedures to get started with CMU payroll deduction:
- Employee fills out application and sends to TIAA with a check to get the account set up. (A minimum of $25.00 is needed) TIAA will send back the form and a confirmation number with the account number.
- Employee will fill out a payroll deduction form, put the confirmation number on it. If you want payroll deduction, please take a copy to the payroll office in Warriner Hall 204.
- You keep one copy for your own records and mail original copy to TIAA for their records.
- Payroll will start deductions the next available paycheck.
Need help filling out the forms - see instructions on
how to fill out forms.
You can also have electronic funds transfer (EFT) from your checking account. See participation agreement form for instructions.
Procedures to stop or change the amount of the deduction for your MESP account:
- Go to MESP website at:
Authorization for Automatic Payroll Deduction. The MESP payroll deduction form will come up. You fill out completely, check the box in section #1 stating: "change the allocation of my contribution among investments options or beneficiaries or cancel payroll deduction", whichever is appropriate. Fill in the remaining sections of the form and sign and date it.
- Send a copy to the CMU payroll office in Warriner Hall 204.
- Keep one copy for your own records and mail the original copy to TIAA for their records, address is on the form.
- Payroll will change or stop deductions the next available paycheck.
If you have any questions or concerns, please call the MESP toll free number at 877-861-6377 for assistance.