Adoption Related Status Changes

Medical/Prescription Drug Plan

As a result of an adoption or placement for adoption, you, your spouse and child(ren) may enroll in the CMU medical/prescription drug plan.  If you are already enrolled in this plan, you may add coverage for the child and any existing dependents.  Enrollment must be completed by submitting a status change form to the Benefits office within 30 calendar days of the adoption or placement for adoption date.  You will be required to provide documentation indicating the date of your child's permanent placement in your home, the actual date of adoption or the date that the legal guardianship documents are filed with the court.

Dental & Vision Plans

If you are already enrolled in the dental and/or vision plans, you may enroll your child in the same plans.  If you are not already enrolled in these plans, you are not eligible to enroll until the next open enrollment.

Life Insurance & Disability Plans

To be sure you have coverage to accommodate the change in your family, you should re-evaluate your life insurance coverage.  You may elect to pick up dependent child life insurance coverage at the time of your child's placement.  You may also decide to change your life insurance beneficiary (ies) at this time.

Flexible Spending Accounts

You may wish to reconsider your earlier decisions about participation in Flexible Spending Accounts.  You may sign up now or if already participating, you may want to change your contribution amount.  You may need to increase your Health Care Account contributions to pay for uninsured health care expenses for your child with tax-free dollars.  If you will have day care expenses, you may want to begin or increase your contributions to a dependent Day Care Account.

Retirement and Tax Deferred Investment (TDI) Plans

You should review your investment elections and contribution amounts to make sure they reflect your new financial goals.  You may wish to update your beneficiary (ies) under these plans as well.  You can make these changes at any time throughout the year.

Tax Withholdings

You may consider changing your Federal and State Tax Withholding by completing a new W-4 Forms available on the CMU Payroll website

30-Day Deadline

If the Status Change Request Form regarding adoption is received by the Benefits office within 30 calendar days after the adoption or placement for adoption, coverage begins on the date of adoption or placement for adoption.  If the Status Change Request Form regarding an adoption is received after 30 calendar days after the adoption or placement for adoption, coverage begins on the first day of the next available pay period after the form is received by the Benefits office.

**Read:  Guide for Qualifying Status Change Events before filing a status change request form.

This summary is not designed to serve as your reference for the details of these benefits.  There is a Summary Plan Description for each benefits plan, which is available from the Benefits office and which contains more complete information about the plan, including important details about limitations on benefits and your legal rights.  The actual provisions of each benefit plan will govern if there is any inconsistency between this summary and Central Michigan University's formal plan or contracts.  This summary does not constitute a contract for any benefit.

Other change you may need to make: