Benefits Status Change When Your Dependent Loses His/Her Insurance

Changes in your dependent's employment status may allow you to make change to your university benefits.

Medical/Prescription Drug, Dental, and Vision Plans

If your dependent loses coverage, you may elect to enroll your spouse and other eligible dependents in your CMU medical/prescription drug, dental and vision plan, provided you do so within 30 calendar days of the loss of your dependent's coverage.  You must complete the Status Change Request form

If you were covered under your dependent's plan, you may want to enroll yourself and your eligible dependent in your CMU medical/prescription drug, dental and vision plan within 30 calendar days of the loss of your dependent's coverage.

Note:  You must provide documentation from another employer plan or insurer stating that you or your dependent(s) lost eligibility for coverage and the date the other coverage ended. 

Life Insurance & Disability Plans

To be sure you have coverage to accommodate the change to your dependent's employment status, you should re-evaluate your life insurance coverage.  You can enroll or increase your dependent life insurance / AD&D coverage.  Coverage becomes effective the date Evidence of Insurability approval is received. 

Flexible Spending Accounts

Consider whether to participate in the Flexible Spending Account (FSA) plans.  You may enroll or increase your Health FSA contribution to pay your dependent's out-of-pocket health expenses with tax-free dollars.  You cannot cancel or decrease your Health FSA contribution. 

You may enroll or increase your Dependent Care FSA if your spouse or other eligible individual (OEI) losses eligibility for Dependent Care FSA through his/her employer.  You may decrease or stop your Dependent Care FSA contributions if your spouse or OEI will be staying home to care for your qualified dependent(s). 

Retirement and Tax Deferred Investment (TDI) Plans

You may want to review your investment elections and contribution amounts under the Tax Deferred Investment Plan to accommodate your new situation. You may choose to begin, increase, decrease or stop contributions due to your new circumstances.

Be sure to make changes with the CMU Benefits & Wellness Office at 774-3661 or within 30 calendar days of your dependent losing coverage.

**Read: Guide for Qualifying Status Change Events before filing a Status Change Request form.

This summary is not designed to serve as your reference for the details of these benefits. The CMU Choices Flexible Benefits Plan Document – Plan Document and Summary Plan Description is available online and contains detailed information about the plan, including important details about limitations on benefits and your legal rights. The actual provisions of each benefit plan will govern if there is any inconsistency between this summary and Central Michigan University's formal plans or contracts. This summary does not constitute a contract for any benefit.

Other change you may need to make:

Make adjustments to your Flexible Spending Account(s)