2017-18 Benefits Open Enrollment Has Ended

Open Enrollment ended Friday, May 5, 2017 at 5:00 p.m. EST

To make changes to your benefits from now until next Open Enrollment, you must experience a qualified status change event as defined by the Plan Document / Summary Plan Description of the CMU Choices Flexible Benefit Plan (www.cmich.edu/fas/hr/Documents/flexplandoc1.pdf).  

What to expect now that 2017-18 Open Enrollment has ended

Most of your Open Enrollment changes will go into effect on July 1, 2017.  The exceptions are:

  • Coverage requiring Evidence of Insurability – will go into effect as soon as The Hartford approves the additional coverage (https://www.cmich.edu/fas/hr/Documents/eoi.pdf):
    • Short term disability
    • Supplemental employee and spouse/OEI life insurance
    • If you do not receive the Evidence of Insurability request by July 2017, call The Hartford at 877-663-4278
    • If you do complete the on-line form by September 1, 2017 your coverage request will be cancelled and you'll have to wait until next Open Enrollment or qualified status change event to request these changes again.
  • Flexible spending account for fixed term faculty - Confirmation of fall 2017 and/or spring 2018 appointment is required before the 2017-18 FSA election(s) is processed by the Benefits & Wellness office.

How can I view my 2017-18 benefits elections?

You can view your benefits at any time by logging into CentralLink >> CMU Choices.  Click on the "Current Year Summary" tab at the top left corner of the site.

Will I get new cards?

You will find listed below the types of cards that will be mailed to employees in June:

  • Medical/Prescription: Employees enrolling for the FIRST TIME will receive new ID cards after open enrollment.
    • Those electing the BCBS high deductible health plan (HDHP) for the FIRST TIME will receive new ID cards as well as a Health Equity welcome packet and debit card.
    • Those electing the MESSA ABC for the FIRST TIME will receive a Health Equity welcome packet and debit card.
  • Dental: Employees enrollment for the FIRST TIME, changing plans (e.g. 100-75-50-50 to 100-50-50 or vice versa) or changing levels (e.g. family to 2-person) will receive new ID cards after open enrollment.
  • Vision: An ID card is not required for members to receive services or care. Simply call a VSP provider to schedule an appointment and tells them you're a VSP member. The provider and VSP handle the rest. If you wish to have an ID card, a reference card is available online at https://www.cmich.edu/fas/hr/Documents/member-vision-card.pdf.
  • Flexible Spending Account: A new employee portal, Alegeus, will be implemented, effective July 1, 2017.  If you enroll for a FSA for the 2017-18 benefit year, you will receive a new debit card prior to July 1 from General Agency.
    • If you have up to $500 in unused health care FSA funds from the 2016-17 benefit year, they will automatically roll over to your 2017-18 FSA account after the run-out period, September 30.
    • To access your roll-over funds during the run out period (July 1 – September 30, 2017), you can use your old, MyCare Card, debit card or submit a manual reimbursement request to General Agency, our FSA administrator.

You can contact our vendors at any time to request additional cards or if you do not receive your new cards by the end of July.  Click here (https://www.cmich.edu/fas/hr/Documents/VendorInformation.pdf) for contact information.