Employees are eligible for a family medical leave (FML) if they have been employed by CMU for at least twelve (12) months and have worked at least one thousand, two hundred and fifty (1,250) hours during the twelve (12) month period immediately preceding the date on which the leave commences.
All employees are expected to report FMLA. Employees may elect to leave up to forty (40) hours of vacation time banked prior to taking unpaid FML. Otherwise, employees are required to use all paid vacation and personal leave (and all sick leave for the employee’s own serious health condition) prior to approved FML without pay.
- Discuss FML with employee
- Initiate FML documentation/paperwork – Ask employee to complete Medical Certification - (PDF) (if FML for employee’s own serious health condition) or Medical Certification – Family Member (PDF) (if FML is for family member’s own serious health condition)
- Determine FML eligibility – Review Family & Medical Leave Checklist (together, with your employee)
- Complete Leave Notification – Give original to employee; For Staff, forward copy to HR/Employment Services at Rowe 109; For Faculty, forward copy to Faculty Personnel Services at Warriner 308
- Assure FML time is properly recorded on timesheets
- For Staff, forward Medical Certifications to HR/Employment Services at Rowe 109; For Faculty, forward to Faculty Personnel Services at Warriner 308
- If unpaid FML, request and complete an Unpaid Leave of Absence form from HR/Employment Services at Rowe 109 for staff, and Faculty Personnel Services at Warriner 308 for faculty.
- FML runs concurrently with sick leave, personal leave, short-term disability, long-term disability and workers’ compensation.
- For more information, please review your appropriate employee group contract/handbook.
- You may also review the current standard practice guide governing family medical leave here.