Short-term disability (STD) provides financial protection for you by paying a portion of your income while you are disabled. The amount you receive is dependent on the income you earned before your disability began and the monthly benefit option you chose for the current benefit plan year. In some cases, you can receive disability payments, even if you work while you are disabled.
To be eligible to receive STD benefits, you must be off work the greater of:
- a period of 45 consecutive calendar days to due an injury or sickness; or
- the date you exhaust all your sick time.
- Contact HR/Benefits & Wellness for STD claim as soon as possible, preferably prior to going on a leave of absence
- Complete Employee section of STD claim form – employee may fax or mail directly to the disability carrier
- Forward Physician section of STD claim form to physician for completion – physician can fax or mail the completed form directly to the disability carrier
- Complete Family & Medical Leave Eligibility Checklist (PDF) (together, with your supervisor)
- Complete Medical Certification - Employee (PDF) ( if FML is for employee’s own serious health condition)
- Complete Medical Certification - Family Member (PDF) (if FML is for family member’s own serious health condition)
- Return completed forms to your supervisor
See Family & Medical Leave (FML) under supervisor responsibilities STD runs concurrently with sick leave and family & medical leave.
- Discuss FML with employee
- Initiate FML documentation/paperwork – Ask employee to complete Medical Certification - (PDF) (if FML for employee’s own serious health condition) or Medical Certification – Family Member (PDF) (if FML is for family member’s own serious health condition)
- Determine FML eligibility – Review Family & Medical Leave Checklist (together, with your employee)
- Complete Leave Notification (PDF) – Give original to employee; For Staff, forward copy to HR/Employment Services at Rowe 109; For Faculty, forward copy to Faculty Personnel Services at Warriner 308
- Assure FML time is properly recorded on timesheets
- For Staff, forward Medical Certifications to HR/Employment Services at Rowe 109; For Faculty, forward to Faculty Personnel Services at Warriner 308
- If unpaid FML, complete Unpaid Leave of Absence (PDF) and forward to HR/Employment Services at Rowe 109 for staff, and Faculty Personnel Services at Warriner 308 for faculty
- FML runs concurrently with sick leave, personal leave, short-term disability, long-term disability and workers’ compensation.
- For more information, please review your appropriate employee group contract/handbook.
- You may also review the current standard practice guide governing family medical leave at here.
For more information, please review the STD plan or contact HR/Benefits & Wellness at Rowe 108 or call 3661.