All full-time staff employees shall accrue 13 sick days per year. Part-time employees shall accumulate sick leave in proportion to the relationship of their appointment to a full-time position. Sick leave may be accumulated up to 130 days. There is no pay off of accumulated sick leave upon termination of employment.
All faculty employees in the bargaining unit accrue sick days per year based on 10-month or 12-month appointments. Bargaining unit members on a reduced assignment will accrue sick leave on the basis of their proportion their appointment is to a regular full-time appointment.
Hourly employees can use sick leave in units of one-half (½) hour or more. Salaried employees report sick time in one-half (½) day increments.
Employees may use sick leave days during any period in which the employee is scheduled to be on the payroll for absences due to employee illness, injury or doctor appointments.
A specific number of sick leave days per year may be used for illness of immediate family members. Please review the appropriate employee group contract/handbook for specific details.
- Discuss FML with employee
- Initiate FML documentation/paperwork – Ask employee to complete Medical Certification - (PDF) (if FML for employee’s own serious health condition) or Medical Certification – Family Member (PDF) (if FML is for family member’s own serious health condition)
- Determine FML eligibility – Review Family & Medical Leave Checklist (together, with your employee)
- Complete Leave Notification ( PDF) – Give original to employee; For Staff, forward copy to HR/Employment & Compensation at Rowe 109; For Faculty, forward copy to Faculty Personnel Services at Warriner 308
- Assure FML time is properly recorded on timesheets
- For Staff, forward Medical Certifications to HR/Employment & Compensation at Rowe 109; For Faculty, forward to Faculty Personnel Services at Warriner 308
- If unpaid FML, request and complete an Unpaid Leave of Absence form from HR/Employment & Compensation at Rowe 109 for staff, and Faculty Personnel Services at Warriner 308 for faculty.
- FML runs concurrently with sick leave, personal leave, short-term disability, long-term disability and workers’ compensation.
- For more information, please review your appropriate employee group contract/handbook.
- You may also review the current standard practice guide governing family medical leave at here.
Sick leave runs concurrent with short-term disability and family & medical leave.
For more information, please review the appropriate employee group contract/handbook.