What happens to my benefits?
If you are an employee on a paid leave of absence:
- Your benefits will continue as normal.
- University contributions and your contributions will continue to be applied and will appear on each payroll check.
If you are an employee on an unpaid leave of absence:
- The HR/Benefits Office will send you a letter and a “Request for Continuation of Insurance” form for you to complete indicating which benefits you wish to continue while on leave. Please return form by the due date indicated in your letter.
- While on a leave of absence, employees may continue all, continue a portion, cancel all, or cancel a portion of their current benefit elections.
If your unpaid leave of absence qualifies as FML:
- Your University contributions will continue through the end of your approved and available FML time and you will need to pay your employee portion until you return to active work.
If you continue on an unpaid leave of absence and FML is no longer available:
- You will be responsible for paying the full benefit premiums (both your contribution and the University contribution).
- Benefit premiums must be paid on a monthly basis, on or before the 1st day of each month by 5:00pm.
- Checks must be payable to Central Michigan University
- Payments may be mailed or dropped off in person at HR/Benefits, Rowe 108