What is long-term disability?
disability (LTD) provides financial protection for you by paying a
portion of your income while you are disabled (more than 6 months).
Upon approval from CMU's Disability Carrier, you will receive a monthly
disability benefit check based on 67% of base salary at the time of your
When does long-term disability begin?
be eligible to receive LTD benefits, you must be off work for a period
of 180 consecutive days (or 6 consecutive months) and you must exhaust
all your sick time.
How do I make a claim for long-term disability?
- Please contact the Benefits & Wellness Office at Rowe 108 or call (989) 774-3661 after 3-4 months on leave of absence.
- Complete the Employee section of LTD claim form – you may fax or mail it directly to the disability carrier.
the Physician section of LTD claim form to your physician for
completion – your physician can fax or mail the completed form directly
to the disability carrier.
- If you are a MPSERS participant (retirement plan), you should contact the MPSERS/ORS office at 800-381-5111 and request a disability retirement packet .
- If applicable, complete the MPSERS disability retirement paperwork.
- Once approved for long term disability, you must contact the Social Security Office to apply for social security disability benefits.
- If or when you have been approved for MPSERS disability retirement and/or social security disability benefits, you must
contact the Benefits & Wellness Office and forward copies of the
award/approval letters. MPSERS disability retirement payments and
social security disability payments are considered deductible sources of
income and will be deducted from your monthly long-term disability
- For more information, please review the LTD plan or contact the Benefits & Wellness Office at email@example.com or call (989) 774-3661.