How do I use Student Employment Services?

What are the advantages of working on campus?

What kinds of jobs are there?

How many are available?

Am I eligible to work on campus?

Where and how do I start looking for a job?

What is the difference between Work Study and General Student Assistance (GSA)?

How do I apply for a position?

I have contacted the department directly and have been called for an interview, Now what?

Will my work experience be career-related?

I have been hired. Now what?

What restrictions will be placed on my work?

How and when will I be paid?

What are the individual departmental policies?

Can I take breaks?

What about the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and Michigan Persons with Disabilities Civil Rights Act (MPDCRA)?

What is the drug and alcohol policy?

Where do I learn more about Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity (AA/EO)?

What is the Sexual Harassment policy?

What if I am treated unfairly?

What if I want to resign?

What if I get terminated?

How do I use Student Employment Services?
To learn about available jobs for students, either 1) examine all current job listings on our website, or 2) visit the office in Bovee University Center 121 and view our Job Bulletin Board.  For both GSA and Work Study postings, the listings describe the duties of the job, skills desired, hours, and how to apply. You may approach any department you would like to work for even if they do not have a job posting on our SES website.

What are the advantages of working on campus?
  • Your job is close to classes; 
  • There is no FICA withheld, adding over $.50/hour to your paycheck (minimum half-time status required);
  • Your work schedule is compatible with your class schedule;
  • You can begin working as soon as you arrive on campus;
  • You receive valuable work experience and professional references;
  • You receive a paycheck every two weeks.

What kinds of jobs are there? How many are available?
CMU hires approximately 5,000 students each year as clerks, receptionists, cashiers, computer assistants, food service workers, laboratory attendants, research aides, tutors, and general laborers to name just a few of the types of on-campus jobs.  Most jobs require no previous experience, but some do require more specialized training. 

Am I eligible to work on campus?
If you are enrolled in a degree-granting program at CMU and registered for at least half time enrollment for the semester in which you would be working, you are eligible to work on campus. International students must be enrolled full-time. If you are a new student during the Summer you may work on campus in a GSA position, as long as you are planning to be enrolled in the Fall.

Where and how do I start looking for a job?
Student Employment Services coordinates all on-campus employment, listing opportunities on our website, our Facebook page, our Twitter feed, and the Jobs Bulletin Board outside of our office, Bovee University Center, 121.  We are open Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.  The Student Employment staff is ready to assist with your employment questions.

What is the difference between Work Study and General Student Assistance (GSA)?
Work Study jobs are available to students who have applied for and been granted financial aid packages that include Federal Work Study awards.  Students must file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to be eligible for Work Study awards.

Work Study positions are available in a variety of campus departments.  Students can earn up to their awarded amounts.  Students cannot use their awards for off-campus employment. Eligible students contact Student Employment Services to learn their award amount. 

General Student Assistance (GSA) is available to all students, including international students and students not qualifying for financial aid.  These positions are funded through department budgets.  Student earnings through GSA employment are not limited.

How do I apply for a position?
When you find an on-campus job you want to apply for, directly contact the department, faculty or staff member for information about the position.  Application procedures vary from department to department. Each posting tells you specifically what to do. 
  • Be on time.  Never arrive late for an interview.  If you are not sure where to go, ask for directions.
  • Be well-dressed.  This is a job interview so dress professionally.  Wear clean, tidy clothes.  T-shirts, shorts or sandals are not recommended when interviewing for a position.
  • Bring a well-written resume.  Also, it is a good idea to have a list of available references in case you are asked to provide that information.
  • Be prepared.  You may need to complete an application.  Have your dates of previous employment and employer(s)' information available.  
  • Bring your class schedule.  You may want to practice answering interview questions such as, "What are your skills?" or, "What are your strong points?"
  • Be confident.  Answer all questions clearly and concisely.  Give examples of difficult work situations and how you handled them.
  • Be grateful.  Thank the interviewer by name.  Politeness is always professional.
  • Be sure to come to the Student Employment Services office to complete your tax and I9 paperwork after you have been hired.  The most commonly used documents to complete the paperwork are a photo ID and Social Security Card (no copies or screen shots will be accepted.)  International students, also bring your I-20 form and Passport. 

Will my work experience be career-related?
All employment while attending school gives you a clearer understanding of the dynamics of the working world.

Newly hired on-campus employees must report to Student Employment Services in Bovee University Center 121 prior to starting work. You will complete an Employment Eligibility Verification Form (I-9 Form), and W-4 Tax Withholding Certificates for the State and Federal governments. The most commonly used documents to obtain a Hire Authorization Card are a photo ID and the Social Security Card (no copies accepted).  If you have lost your Social Security Card, you may apply for a duplicate at the Social Security Administration.  If you have never had a Social Security number, you must also go to the Social Security Administration. Locally, the Social Security Administration is at 1940 Sweeney Street, Mount Pleasant, MI  48858.  
What restrictions will be placed on my work?
Students who are citizens or permanent residents of the US must not exceed 40 hours of work per pay period, all positions combined.  International Students must not exceed 20 hours/week due to visa restrictions.  During the Summer semester, students (including International students) may work up to 80 hours per pay period. It is the responsibility of the student to monitor these hours.
CMU student employees earn a bi-weekly paycheck based on rate of pay and number of hours worked.  Students must choose to be paid either through Direct Deposit or the CMU Money Card.  Information regarding both may be found at Electronic Pay
Student Pay Rates are determined by the department for which they work.  The pay date schedule is available on the Payroll Website.
What are the individual departmental policies? 
All student employees at CMU are subject to the Code of Student Rights, Responsibilities and Disciplinary Procedures.  At the date of hire, it is the responsibility of the hiring department to ensure the student understands all of the conditions of employment, including any policies held directly by the hiring department.
Can I take breaks? 
Student employees should be given a 15 minute rest period during each continuous four hours of work. The rest period is to be preceded and followed by a work period. It should not be used to cover a student's late arrival or early departure.   Rest periods are scheduled by the supervisor and cannot be accumulated.
Under the ADA and the MPDCRA, an employer is required to make "reasonable" accommodations for a qualified individual with a disability, unless the accommodations would impose due hardship on the employer.  Contact Student Disability Services located in the Park Library, Room 120 for more information.
Consistent with state and federal law, Central Michigan University maintains a workplace free from the unlawful manufacture, distribution, dispensation, possession, or use of a controlled substance. Review the Drug-Free Workplace Policy for more information. 
CMU, an AA/EO institution, strongly and actively strives to increase diversity and provide equal opportunity within its community. CMU does not discriminate in employment against persons based on age, color, disability, gender, familial status, height, marital status, national origin, political persuasion, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status, or weight. For further information, visit the Office of Civil Rights and Institutional Equity.

What is the sexual harassment policy?
Elliott-Larsen Civil Rights Act 453 of 1976 as Amended by Public Act 202 of 1980:
Sec 103(h) Discrimination because of sex includes sexual harassment which means unwelcome sexual advances, requests for sexual favors, and other verbal or physical conduct or communication of a sexual nature when:
(i) Submission to such conduct or communication is made a term or condition either explicitly or implicitly to obtain employment, public accommodations or public services, education, or housing.

(ii) Submission to or rejection of such conduct or communication by an individual is used as a factor in decisions affecting such individual's employment, public accommodations or public services, education, or housing.

(iii) Such conduct or communication has the purpose or effect of substantially interfering with an individual's employment, public accommodations or public services, education, or housing, or creating an intimidating, hostile, or offensive employment, public accommodations, public services, education, or housing environment.
To get more information, access the Office of Civil Rights and Institutional Equity or call:  989.774.3253.

What if I am treated unfairly?
Student employees who feel they have been treated unfairly or improperly in the workplace should meet with their supervisor. An earnest attempt should be made by both parties to resolve the problem. If the matter is not brought to a satisfactory conclusion through this meeting, student employees may seek advice and assistance from Student Employment Services.

What if I want to resign?
Central Michigan University respects and honors the right of each person to terminate his or her employment at any time, for any reason. Students should provide two weeks' notice when employment is voluntarily terminated.

What if I get terminated?
Central Michigan University respects and honors the right of each person to terminate his or her employment at any time, for any reason. The University retains the same right in terminating the employment of a student at any time.  

Disciplinary problems and violation of rules will be dealt with according to the situation and the work record of the employee in compliance with applicable laws. 

All University property such as keys, uniforms, and tools must be returned to supervisors before final paychecks are issued.