The Hire Authorization Card
To begin work students need a HIRE AUTHORIZATION CARD aka "The Red Card"
Before beginning work on campus new student employees must obtain a Hire Authorization Card from Student Employment Services in Room 121 of the Bovee University Center. You obtain a Hire Authorization Card (commonly known as the “red card”) by completing tax and I-9 paperwork and by presenting a picture ID and ORIGINAL Social Security card.  Photocopied, faxed, or metalized Social Security cards will not be accepted. 
What is the Hire Authorization Card?
The Hire Authorization Card is a small, red card presented to your employer to prove you completed the tax and I-9 paperwork in the Student Employment Services office and are ready to begin work. The Hire Authorization Card is commonly known as the “red card.”

Where is the Student Employment Services office?
Room 121, Bovee University Center—directly across the hall from the CentralCard office.
Can I work as a student employee without the Hire Authorization Card?
No. You must not work without first having obtained the Hire Authorization card.

What do I need to bring with me in order to obtain the Hire Authorization card?
Students who are citizens of the United States need to bring a picture ID and their actual Social Security card to obtain a Hire Authorization card.  Photocopied, faxed, or metalized Social Security cards will not be accepted.  International students need to bring their passport, I-94, CentralCard, I-20, and actual Social Security card.

Why do I need my original Social Security card? It’s in a safety deposit box and is a hassle to retrieve.
CMU has many reasons for requiring a new student employee to present their original Social Security card before begining to work. If a student chooses not to present an original Social Security card, the student will not be issued a Hire Authorization card and will not be allowed to work on campus.

Do I need a Social Security card specifically to complete an I-9 form?
No. Some new student employees have used other documents. Check out the back of an I-9 form for those documents you would like to use. But be clear:  In order to receive a Hire Authorization card CMU still requires that you present your actual Social Security card.

What if I don’t have access to my Social Security card?
You can sign up for a Social Security card—or a replacement card—at any Social Security Administration office. The office in Mount Pleasant is located at the corner of Broomfield Road and Sweeney Street, a ten minute walk east from the Towers.

What if my employer keeps my Hire Authorization card after I present it?
If you need another Hire Authorization card simply present your CentralCard at the Student Employment Services office and we will issue you another card.

Will I have to fill out the paperwork again?
You probably will not have to fill out the paperwork again.  We shred your paperwork if you have not worked within 30 days of obtaining your first Hire Authorization card, so in that case you would be required to complete the paperwork again (and would need to present a picture ID and an actual  Social Security card.)

What if my employer doesn’t ask to see my Hire Authorization card?
We recommend showing the Hire Authorization card to your employer even if they do not ask to see it.


1200 S. Franklin St • Mount Pleasant, Mich. 48859
Phone: 989-774-4000

CMU is an AA/EO institution, providing equal opportunity to all persons, including minorities, females, veterans, and individuals with disabilities. | CentralLink
Copyright Central Michigan University, Mount Pleasant, Mich. 48859 | Phone 989-774-4000 | Privacy Policy | Feedback | Full Site