Tips for Pursuing an On-Campus Job at CMU

Contact departments directly.

Contact departments directly and they will let you know how to apply for their positions. Instructions for how to apply are listed within the job posting. Send resumes or requests for more information directly to the department you are interested in working for. If you are calling or walking into a department to inquire about a job, always ask for the person responsible for hiring student employees.

Check out the job postings under Current Vacant Positions

Postings change often. Take a moment each day to review them. Do not hesitate to approach a department you would like to work for even if they do not have a job posting on the SES site. Do not hesitate to approach 10 or 12 or even 15 departments!  (International students can apply for GSA positions only.)

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter.

After a new posting goes live we post a status update. Get immediate notifications of new openings in your Facebook or Twitter feed. 

Create a resume.

You may not have a lot of work experience but create a resume. List the jobs you have held but you can also include volunteering, extracurricular activities, and groups in which you have been involved. List the skills and knowledge you bring to the table. Keep it simple. Make it specific. Use white paper and black ink. Make sure there are no misspellings.

Do not assume departments will contact you after you have applied.

Assume after a reasonable amount of time has passed that you will need to make contact to ask about the status of your application. 7 to 10 days seems reasonable.

Let employers know if you will be in the area during CMU's vacation periods. 

Many employers look for student employees available during the summer months, winter break, or spring break.

Tell employers how long you will be at Central Michigan University. 

Will you be attending for 3, 4, or 5 years? Employers prefer to spend their time training employees who plan to be around for a few years. 

Be persistent. 

Don't give up on that on-campus position you would really like to have. Prospective employers appreciate and remember your eagerness and enthusiasm.


  • Make a second contact about ten days later.
  • Contact more departments.  10-12 is a great start.
  • Job postings change frequently.
  • Be persistent. Don't give up!  It takes work to find work.
  • Do not get discouraged.  All you need is one 'yes'.