In order to further facilitate our services to the community, three CMU Police Officers completed Honor Guard training in 2010. The purpose of this training is to make officers better aware of flag law etiquette when handling the country's national colors. These three officers will represent our department at special events and in properly honoring and paying tribute to officers who have died in the line of duty.
The CMU Police Citizen's Academy, an annual event held each spring, introduces CMU students to the world of law enforcement. Topics covered include communications and technology, personnel issues, community policing, narcotics investigation, officer safety, building searches, traffic patrol, and crime scene investigation.
Any student, faculty, or saff member is able to apply to attend the annual academy. The academy is held during a weekend (Saturday and Sunday) each spring. Click
for the academy flyer. Applications can be completed and submitted online by clicking
. The academy will be held in the future, so check back for updates.
College Life and the Law
College Life and the Law is an educational program modeling how to be safe and responsible. This is a pannel/discussion format, presented by CMU Police Officers, university offices, and other local law enforcement agencies during CMU's Campus and Community Life Orientation.
As part of our commitment to public safety, our department provides a variety of services for the campus community:
- Free transportation on campus for students who don't want to walk home alone at night, such as after a late night at the library. Two student patrollers will arrive in a special vehicle to transport you to your campus destination.
- A free registration service to deter bicycle theft.
Lost and Found
- Lost and found items are processed and held at the CMU Police Department for 90 days or until the item is returned to the rightful owner.
Anonymous Tip Line
- A confidential, anonymous tip line for reporting criminal activity.
Special Events Planning
- A service to help plan for vehicle parking, crowd control, and other needs for campus events.