Domestic Dispute - Survivor's Rights

Peace Officers intervening in a domestic dispute as described in MCL 764.15a or 15b are required to give you the following notice:

  1. You may obtain a copy of the police report for your case by contacting Central Michigan University Police Department at: 989-774-3081
  2. If you are the survivor of domestic violence, you can ask the county prosecuting attorney to file a criminal complaint. It is the policy of CMU Police Department and the Isabella County Prosecuting Attorney that criminal complaints against individuals for domestic violence will be filed by the investigating police agency.
  3. Survivors of domestic violence will not be asked to sign the complaint. If you have contacted a police agency relative to a domestic assault, you should call the Isabella County Prosecutor's office, 989-772-0911, ext. 311, the first weekday after the police are contacted, regardless of whether an arrest has been made. It is important that you contact the Prosecutor's office to obtain further information as to your rights and responsibilities in the criminal prosecution of an assault.
  4. Your legal rights also include the right to go to court and file a petition requesting personal protection order (P.P.O.) to protect you or other members of your household from domestic abuse which could include the following:
    • a.  Entering onto the premises.
    • b.  Assaulting, attacking, beating, molesting or wounding you.
    • c.  Removing minor children from you, except as otherwise authorized by a custody or visitation order issued by a court of competent jurisdiction.
    • d.  Engaging in stalking behavior.
    • e.  Purchasing or possessing a firearm.
    • f.   Interfering with your efforts to remove your children or personal property from premises that are solely owned or leased by the abuser.
    • g.  Interfering with you at your place of employment or education or engaging in conduct that impairs your employment relationship or your employment or educational environment.
    • h.  Engaging in any other specific act or conduct that imposes upon or interferes with your personal liberty or that causes a reasonable apprehension of violence.
    • i.  Having access to information in records concerning any minor child you have with the abuser that would inform the abuser about your address or telephone number, the child's address or telephone number or your employment address.
  5. Your legal rights also include the right to go to court and file a motion for an order to show cause and a hearing if the abuser or perpetrator is violating the protection order and has not been arrested.



  • Look for warning signs (drinking, drugs, bad day…)
  • Physical signs (clenched fists, threats, throwing/breaking objects, red face…)
  • Try to remove/hide weapons
  • Signal neighbors or call 911
  • Set a routine, get out of the house (walk dog, get mail, take out trash…)
  • Take children with you, unless you'll be breaking the law.