The Safe Rides
program was designed to enhance campus safety. To use the service simply call 774-HELP (4357)
. Two student employees will arrive in a vehicle to transport you to your campus destination (the flashing amber lights will be used to let you know they have arrived).
We currently operate the service with two mini-vans, a repurposed patrol car, and supplement with other cars as needed.
- Are you concerned about walking alone at night?
- CMU students have access to FREE safety escorts, between 6pm and 2am, seven days a week. The service operates when classes are in session, during the fall and spring semesters.
- This service is designed to safely get students from one on-campus location to another.
- Unfortunately, due to inclement weather and other factors beyond our control, this service may be cancelled on limited occasions.
The Safe Rides program is a service intended to provide escorts for persons who need an ESCORT
for safety reasons and who are concerned about walking ALONE
at night--not just simply for the sake of a free ride. The following guidelines have been established for the program:
- This service is designed to safely get people from one on-campus location to another on-campus location.
- No escorts will be given from an on-campus location to any off-campus location or from any off-campus location to an on-campus location.
- Safe Rides employees are not permitted to overload the escort vehicle.
- Three or more persons traveling to the "same destination" DO NOT qualify for an escort, there is safety in numbers.
- Persons who are visibly intoxicated or disorderly will be refused an escort by the Safe Rides employees.
- Safe Rides employees or the police dispatcher reserve the right to refuse an escort to anyone based on the above guidelines.
- Groups of 3 or more, or those wanting transport to-or-from an off-campus location might consider contacting one of the many local taxi companies.
Safe Rides employees are carefully screened for employment. Like all our other employment groups, student employees must have:
- Clean driving records
- No criminal history
- Positive recommendations for employment
- A proven dedication to customer service
Safe Rides employees also frequently receive training and instruction on safe vehicle operation.