- A valid CMU parking permit is required for all residents, commuters, faculty, staff and vendors who park on campus, unless parked in a metered space and depositing the appropriate coin for the time allotment.
- With the exception of parking in Lot #12 and Lot #41, students who attend Saturday and evening (after 4:00 p.m.) classes do not have to purchase a valid CMU parking permit if they are only on campus at those times.
- Resident parking permits are distributed to sophomores, juniors and seniors on a first-come basis. Freshman students will be assigned to the freshman parking lot (63) which are located away from their residence halls.
- Students are prohibited to register for an annual and/or temporary parking permit if the vehicle registration is in another student's name, or another student's immediate family member's name.
- Faculty/Staff Hanging Permits: Faculty/Staff hanging parking permits must be displayed on the rearview mirror with the permit number facing the windshield.
- Student Decal Permits: A valid decal is required for parking privileges. It must be attached to the inside lower corner of the windshield on the driver's side. The decal must be permanently affixed to the windshield with its own adhesive.
- Motorcycle or Scooter Decal Permits: One permit is required for motorcycles or scooters and attached to the front or rear fender or windshield.
- All students and faculty/staff must register online at
www.police.cmich.edu Parking Services/Online Vehicle Registration to purchase a parking permit.
- After the Online Vehicle Registration is complete annual parking permits may be picked-up Monday through Friday at the CMU Police Department/Parking Services between 7:30 a.m. and 5:00 p.m.
- In addition, permits may be purchased at the CMU Police Department/Parking Services on Sunday prior to the beginning of classes in the fall semester.
- A photo I.D. and a current vehicle registration must be presented at the time of pick-up/purchase.
- Temporary permits may be obtained at the CMU Police Department 24 hours a day, seven days a week. A photo I.D. and current vehicle registration must be presented at the time of purchase.
- Students are prohibited from obtaining a temporary parking permit if the vehicle registration is in another student's name, or another student's immediate family member's name.
Resident student (living in resident hall or campus apt)||
Graduate Housing with Commuter privleges||
Kewadin/Northwest Apartments with Commuter privileges||
Commuters (living off-campus)||
Faculty and Staff||
For spring semester the parking permit charge is one-half the annual fee. For summer sessions the parking permit charge is one-fifth the annual fee.Used Decals
Students, faculty and staff leaving the university at the close of the fall semester may apply for a half refund of fees paid for their parking permit for the academic year. A hanging permit or an identifiable portion of the decal must be returned to the CMU Police Department/Parking Services by the end of the first week of the spring semester.Unused Decals
Students, faculty and staff who purchase parking permits but do not use them may receive a refund by returning the unused permit to the CMU Police Department/Parking Services within two weeks of the date of purchase.Decals
To receive a new parking decal, individuals must bring the following items to the CMU Police Department/Parking Services:
Faculty/Staff Hanging Permits
- The parking decal which was removed from a previously registered vehicle when an individual is acquiring a new vehicle. (An identifiable portion of the decal is required. A decal can be removed by covering it with transparent tape and removing with a razor blade scraper. Decals may not be transferred from one vehicle to another.)- OR -
- Any lost or stolen permit may be replaced upon presenting a written statement of loss and payment of the original fee.
- A statement on letterhead from a dealership indicating the parking decal was destroyed when the vehicle was cleaned for resale.
- An original receipt for a windshield replacement containing the vehicle description.
- Faculty/Staff hanging parking permits may be transferred from your registered vehicle to another family-owned vehicle from the same residence without charge and without registering with the CMU Police/Parking Services. The hanging permits may not be loaned or transferred to a student(even family) or anyone outside the same residence and family. An exception may be made for a loaner vehicle when yours is being serviced.
- Any lost or stolen permit may be replaced upon completing a lost/stolen report with Parking Services. Any lost or stolen permit may be replaced upon payment of the original or prorated fee(Spring Semester Only).