Facility Rentals and Group Usage Information
- All requests must be submitted via an
Indoor Space Request Form or an
Outdoor Space Request Form.
- For best consideration, reservations should be made 10 business days in advance.
- You may contact the Assistant Director of Facilities prior to the event for room availability.
- University Recreation requests a 48 hour notification of cancellation.
- Roster for access (or other arrangements) needs to be submitted 1 week prior to the reservation.
- University Recreation reserves space in the order in which requests are received.
- University Recreation makes every effort to ensure that informal recreation space is available.
- There is no charge to CMU Departments for facility usage as long as the activity is university related (business meetings, class, etc) and within posted operational hours.
- CMU Departments requesting space outside of normal operational hours or requiring special staff will be charged the
- Reservations that contain charges require the CMU Cost Center Number to charge.
CMU Registered Student Organizations/Club Sports:
- Any CMU Registered Student Organization that is in good standing may request use of the facility.
- Any CMU Club Sport that is in good standing may request use of the facility, but all of these requests should be submitted to
Jennifer Nottingham, Associate Director of Programming or the
Club Sport Graduate Assistant.
- CMU Registered Student Organizations requesting space outside of normal operational hours or requiring special staff will be charged the
CMU Student Organizations wishing to host a fundraiser in the facility must have a Request for Solicitation Form submitted with their space request. These forms may be obtained at the Office of Student Life. Certain fees may apply for fundraising events.
Non-CMU Affiliated Groups (Non-Profit and For Profit):
- Non-CMU Affiliated groups may request use of the facility pending space availability. Appropriate non-profit or for-profit rates apply.
- Outside groups must have liability insurance that covers the activity. See more details on
Facility Usage Insurance.
Certificate of insurance must be submitted one week in advance of the event.
Any approved request for a full day, overnight, or multiple day event will require an event preparation meeting with URec Staff.
Rental Facility Access Guidelines:
- CMU Students need to swipe their CMU ID
- SAC Members must use their key tag
- Non-Students/Members must provide a photo ID and/or supply a list of participants 1 week prior to the event.
Academic Classes: Students MUST swipe their CMU ID to access the SAC
CMU Departments: Roster of attendees must be provided to the Assistant Director of Facilities and Customer Relations one week prior to the event; access limited to those only on the roster; photo ID may also be required.
Club Sport Meetings/Practices: Members must swipe their CHIP ID; members who are not CMU Students may purchase a day pass for each visit.
Outside Groups: A roster of attendees must be provided to the Assistant Director of Facilities and Customer Relations one week in advance. Attendees must provide a photo ID to the Service Center Staff to gain access to the facility. Note: Some large events or other special events may have a check-in table or other arrangements may be made-must be approved by the Assistant Director of Facilities and Customer Relations.
Liability waivers must also be filled out, and turned in the day of the event.
- University Recreation requires a 48 hour notification. If an organization/department fails to give proper notification, the department may be unable to use the facilities in the future or be charged for staffing costs. Cancellations must be sent to the
Assistant Director of Facilities and Customer Relations by phone or email.
Staffing needs are determined by University Recreation staff based on the activity. General guidelines to assist in planning are as follows:
- Events occurring outside of normal operating hours will require 1 Student Manager and 1 Building Supervisor (depending on the size of the event, additional staff may be required as well)
- Reservations for pools will require special event lifeguards. The number of lifeguards required is dependent upon the number of participants (1-25 person; 1 lifeguard, 26-50 persons; 2 lifeguards, 51-75 persons; 3 lifeguards. There is a 75 person maximum in the pools)
- Events outside of normal operating hours in the Bowling Center will require 2 Bowling Attendants on site at all times of the event.
Miscellaneous Event Information:
- Large groups will require an additional custodial fee
- Special Events requiring floor covering (
Assistant Director of Facilities and Customer Relations determines when floor covering is necessary) will need to work with University Events to ensure no damage to floor (University Events will bill group separately)
- Special set-ups and equipment requests must be submitted with the
Indoor Space Request Form
- There should be a ratio of 10:1 for chaperone's to participants
- An emailed confirmation will be sent to the requester. At this time your event and space is officially approved;
until this email is received the reservation is still pending.
- Tape, glue, tacks, or nails are prohibited on the walls. Open flame candles are not allowed. Helium balloons are not allowed.
Facility Rental Forms:
University Recreation Maps: