General Frequently Asked Questions

Who do I contact to book a room or venue on campus?
- Plesase call the Events and Conference Services Office at 989-772-PLAN or send us an email at PLAN@cmich.edu.

What are the office hours of the Events and Conference Services Office?
- Monday through Friday, 8:00am-5:00pm.

Why must my Event Request Form be turned in at least two weeks before my event?
- Events and Conference Services has view of all the events taking place on campus, and can reserve events as well. Coordinating all of these events takes time, and we need to make sure we have enough time to view your request, find appropriate space, and follow up with any other questions. ECS aims to provide the best possible event experience for you, and will work to achieve this goal. 

Why am I working with so many different people in different departments to plan my event?
- The office at Events and Conference Services gathers all needs assessments that come into the PLAN phone line. Once reviewing the assessment, we can then determine what event coordinator will work with you on your event.

Can I book an event if I have no affiliation with CMU?
- Absolutely!

What fees should I be aware of when planning an event?
- Reservation fees, labor costs for set-up, tear-down, catering.

What are my food options?
- CMU works excusively with our talented on campus group, Classic Fare Catering

What if I want a different caterer for my event?
- At this time CMU works exclusively with Classic Fare Catering, and do not allow external catering options.

Where should my guests park?
- There are plenty of on-campus parking lots that are available. The Events and Conference Services staff can collaborate with CMU Parking Services in order to accommodate your group.

What if I need special sound equipment or video equipment for my event?
- Please specify in your request what other equipment you need if it is not specified. Events and Conference Services will refer to your request, and will contact you with questions and clarification.

Wedding Frequently Asked  Questions

How many people can each venue seat?
- Please refer to the Wedding tab and click on facilities for details on venue seating.​

Is there a sound system that we can play a CD or MP3 on?
- Yes, sound systems are available to rent. We have the ability to use laptops as well.

Are microphones available?
- Yes. Ask your event coordinator what your options are!

Are there any rules about decorations?
- All decoration policies are determined to provide guests and students with an elegant and safe environment.
NOT Acceptable:                              Acceptable:
Helium balloons                               Stand up decorations
Confetti/glitter                                 Non-helium balloons
Flames/candles                                Battery-operated candles
Nails                                                   Gaft tape
Sticky putty/glue
Scotch/duct tape

May I throw flower petals?
- Yes

Can we bring our own food?
- CMU has an exclusive contract with Classic Fare Catering. Take a look at the Classic Fare Catering website for further information.

Do we have to rent tables and chairs for our reception?
- If the event is held in the Bovee University Center, you don't have to rent tables and chairs for extra costs. Anywhere else on campus, there is a rental fee for equipment as well as labor costs for transporting and setting up/tear down.

Depending on location, will a dance floor be available?
- Most wedding receptions take place in the Bovee University Center Rotunda, which can hold up to 300 people that has a dance floor. If a dance floor is not already incorporated in the venue of your choice, we have the ability to build one in for an additional cost.

How far in advance should I book my wedding?
- We recommend at least a year in advance for booking to assure your space is available.

Can I hire my own florist or decorator?
- Yes. However, through Classic Fare Catering we have a variety of elegant decorations and floral options that can be customizable for your big day. Please contact your event coordinator for more information.

Can I bring my own wedding cake?
- Absolutely! Robaires is a local bakery and a popular choice for wedding cakes. The cake cutting cost is $.50 per guest. This cost includes all plates, utensils and napkins for guests.

Are there any DJ services provided through CMU?
- Unfortunately, not at this time. However, we do have live bands that have played at wedding receptions in the past that we can provide you with. You are also able to bring in your own DJ.

Do you offer any shuttle services on campus?
- Yes, we do have a contract with the ICTC shuttles.

How do I obtain a certificate of insurance?
- Please see your insurance provider. CMU requres at least a $1 million dollar coverage.

Can my event continue past 10:30pm?
- Yes

Can I hold my event on a special holiday?
- Depending on the holiday, Events and Conference Services will work with you. Please specify on the Event Request Form and we will try our best to work something out.

Conference and Camps Frequently Asked Questions

What is your cancellation policy?
- 2 weeks.

Are the facilities non-smoking?
- Yes

Is CMU affiliated with any hotel chains?
- No. However, we do offer on campus housing services during the non-academic school year; months of May-August. These rooms are available upon your request. For local hotel chains, please click on the Locations tab. 

What steps should I take to reserve space for meetings and break out rooms on campus?
- Let us know your needs on the Event Request Form and we will set up a walk through tour to discuss options that will best suit your needs. 

What are the timelines that a conference planner must follow during the planning process?
- We have event planning checklists for your convenience. Please visit the Event Checklist tab for our event checklists.

Is there parking available for us to use during our stay?
- Events and Conference Services will coordinate your parking needs to avoid parking fines.

Is there any staff on site in the residence halls during the summer that can assist us if need be?
- Yes, we have Conference Hall Directors and Conference Assistants that will be available 24/7 during your time here at CMU. We also have desk staff that will be working 24/7 during your stay to check in guests and make sure nobody who is not supposed to be in the residence halls doesn't get access into the facility.

What are the check in and check out times?
- Events and Conference Services will work to be flexible with your check-in and checkout requests.

Are there any housekeeping services provided?
- Yes, for an extra fee.

Are there adequate water resources available for camps?
- Yes, we have Gatorade coolers that are available to use for free. We also have free ice service, and to fill up these coolers all you have to do is fill them up in the dining hall for free. Please let us know a month in advance if you need this service. Carts are available upon request for transportation from the dining hall to the locations on CMU.

Can we reserve a section of the dining hall for our guests?
- Yes, we have signage and section dividers that we can put up upon your request.

Are there laundry facilities that our participants can utilize?
- Yes, every residence hall has laundry facilities that use quarters.

Are there and ADA accessible sleeping rooms?
- Yes, we have accessible rooms available. Please let us know if you have special requests so Events and Conference Services can best accommodate your stay.

Does the housing provide free Wifi Internet access?
- We have free Wifi available for your guests. If you would like access, please let your Event Coordinator know and we will provide you with the network name and password.

Can special dietary needs be accommodated?
- Yes, please let us know of this request and we can make sure there are food options that can suit all of your needs. Please click on our Catering link for more information.

Do the doors to the residence halls lock at certain times?
- Yes, after 10pm all doors lock. The main entrance to the building will remain unlocked. We will have a desk assistant for the entire night checking in guests that arrive late or after hours at the main desk in the area.

Central Michigan University • 1200 S. Franklin St. • Mount Pleasant, Mich. 48859 • 989-774-4000