Online Faculty Expectations
Hardware and Software Requirements
- Operating system: Windows 2000/XP or Mac OS 10.1 or higher. Required for Mac
users due to Blackboard's collaboration tool requirements and tech support
- Installed (or the ability to install) “readers” for various file
types, i.e., Adobe, Word, Excel, etc.
- Word processing software (preferably
Microsoft Word 2000 or higher).
- Access to the Internet (Faculty and students
are responsible for securing their own accounts with an Internet Service
Provider and these communication charges are not compensated by Central Michigan
- Installed and up-to-date anti-virus protection software. Note that
Central Michigan University faculty are licensed for McAfee VirusScan Enterprise
anti-virus package. Contact the help desk at (989) 774-3662 for instructions to
obtain this software. Although this software can be provided, CMU is not
responsible for any viruses or other computer issues that instructors might
- Mandatory use of an e-mail account provided by Central Michigan
University for all instructors (global ID). To activate your global ID, contact
the help desk at (989) 774-3662.
- IE 6.0 (or higher), Firefox 2.0 (or higher),
Safari 2.0 (or higher) installed as your Web browser software.
and Online Teaching Skills
- Proficiency in creating basic word processing
documents, preferably using Microsoft Word 2000 or higher.
- Proficient keyboard
skills (at least 50 words per minute to work effectively in Chat sessions).
- Working knowledge of sending and retrieving files via e-mail (i.e. attachments
/ downloading various assignments (files) from the students).
- Working knowledge
of file management (i.e. Spreadsheet).
- Working knowledge of currently adopted
Course Management System by Central Michigan University (Blackboard).
Face-to-face / online workshops are available through CMU Online.
attendance in online teaching workshops prior to first course contract.
least two (2) semesters of online teaching experience from institutions or
- Understanding of adult and / or non-traditional student needs.
- Working knowledge of online course content development / instructional design.
- If you have other equipment or skills, such as a scanner,
knowledge of graphic manipulation or other software such as Photoshop or
Acrobat, this will be to your advantage.