Skip navigation

Student Records


The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) restricts the information that may be disclosed without student consent. In an effort to protect your right to privacy we do not disclose grade information via phone or e-mail. Instead, you are able to access your own information via CentralLink with your secure password. CentralLink is more than just a registration tool. Through CentralLink you can access your grades, unofficial transcripts, course schedules, account information, payment history, etc.

Please do not contact your advisor for grades – we are not allowed to release this information over the phone or via e-mail.

Grade Point Average (GPA)

Academic Probation

CMU requires graduate students to maintain a 3.0 GPA. Any student who falls below a 3.0 GPA will be placed on academic probation and will only be allowed to complete two additional courses unless they are able to bring their GPA back above 3.0.*

If you are placed on academic probation CONTACT YOUR GRADUATE ADVISOR FOR ADVICE on what courses to complete.

In most instances, the only way to improve your GPA is to repeat the course in which you received your worst grade.

In the event that you cannot improve your GPA to 3.0 within the two additional courses, you will be dematriculated (removed) from the university for a period of one year.

Once your year of dematriculation is complete, you can request to be readmitted to the university. You do not need to complete a new admissions application, rather you need to write a letter verifying your commitment to your coursework, detailing how you intend to bring your grades up, and requesting readmission. Your advisor can help with this. Keep in mind that you will still have to resolve the issue of a low GPA.

*Students with conditional admission who do not maintain a 3.0 GPA will not be granted regular admission to the university.​

CMU Transcripts