Skip navigation

Federal Employee FAQ

​​​​​​If you have a specific question regarding the Federal Employee Discount (FED) not addressed below, or need assistance with the process, please utilize CMU’s chat service or call 877-268-4636.

What is the Federal Employee Discount (FED)?

All civil service Federal employees, spouses, and their dependents receive a 15 percent tuition discount and an application fee waiver to CMU’s Global Campus thanks to a Federal agreement. The agreement applies to online programs and classes taken at CMU’s satellite locations.

What academic programs are available with the Federal Employee tuition savings?

More than 30 academic programs are available, including select CMU Global Campus certificates, bachelor's degrees, master's degrees and the Doctor of Health Administration.

This tuition savings does not apply to other doctoral programs and excludes the Master of Science in Information Systems, Master of Entrepreneurial Transactions, Bachelor of Science in Business Administration and Bachelor of Science in Nursing.

How do I apply?

To complete the process, please follow these steps:

  • Step 1 | Apply online at:
  • Step 2 | Scan and attach your most recent Leave & Earnings Statement to establish that you are a Federal employee.

    If the applicant is the spouse or dependent of a Federal employee, you must also include only page one from your most recent Federal income tax return. This should also be scanned and upload​ed as part of the application process.

    If your Leave and Earnings Statement or most recent ​Federal income tax form are not available to upload at the time of application (when you click submit), the missing documentation can be e-mailed to or mailed to:

    CMU Global Campus
    Attn: Transcript Department
    802 Industrial Drive
    Mount Pleasant, MI 48858 USA
    Please indicate your full name as it is on your application to CMU and that this information is for the Federal Employee Discount rate.

  • Step 3 | To use the application fee waiver when you apply, under "How did you hear about us?" check "Other" and put in the fee waiver code: FED1517. On the "Final Confirmation" page, click "By Mail" as how you will pay your application fee. Do not send in the money. Your application fee will be waived. You can still apply without using the application fee waiver, if you prefer.

  • Step 4 | Request official transcripts. This can be a lengthy process, so please be sure to have the registrar mail official transcript(s) directly to:

    CMU Global Campus
    Attn: Transcript Department
    802 Industrial Drive
    Mount Pleasant, MI 48858 USA
  • OR e-mail the transcript(s) to

    To process your application we must receive:

    For Undergraduate Programs

    • Official high school or GED transcripts if you have not attended another regionally accredited two- or four-year college or university

    • Or

    • Official transcripts from each of your previously attended regionally accredited colleges or universities

    For Graduate Programs​

    • ​Official transcripts from all colleges or universities attended.
    • You must hold a baccalaureate or equivalent degree from a regionally accredited institution. GPA requirements vary by program, please check the web page.
    • The program you are applying to may have additional requirements. Please check the web page.

    Am I qualified for the Federal Employee Discount (FED)?

    All civil service Federal government employees, spouses, and their dependents are eligible to receive the FED. Dependents are identified as those that qualify under the existing IRS definition of a qualifying dependent. Federal employment can be verified with a Federal Leave and Earnings Statement, with additional documentation needed to verify dependents. Examples of acceptable documents include page 1 of your tax return, a marriage license, or a birth certificate.

    Can I apply for financial aid along with the Federal Employee Discount (FED)?

    Yes. You also may qualify for numerous merit-based scholarships available through CMU. The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) financial aid code for CMU is 002243. Please visit CMU’s Financial Aid page for more information.

    Will my previous credits transfer to CMU?

    CMU welcomes transfer credits from regionally accredited institutions. The maximum number of transfer credits that can be applied toward your degree program depends on where the credits are transferring from and what degree you pursue. Please visit CMU’s Transfer Students page for more information.

    Can I earn credits for my previous work experience?

    CMU recognizes the value of your learning through professional and life experiences through Prior Learning Credit. A maximum of 60 undergraduate credits and 10 graduate credits may be applied toward your degree from Prior Learning. Please visit CMU’s Prior Learning Credit page for more information.

    What are CMU’s general education requirements?

    General education for undergraduate programs at CMU consists of two areas of liberal study and achievement, University Program and Competency Requirements, which are required of all students. For more information please refer to the Online Bulletin.

    Where can I find information about the Federal Student Loan Repayment Program (FSLRP)?

    The FSLRP permits agencies to repay Federally-insured student loans as a recruitment or retention incentive for candidates or current employees of the agency. The program implements 5 U.S.C. 5379, which authorizes agencies to set up their own student loan repayment programs to attract or retain highly qualified employees. This is offered strictly by each individual agency. More Information

    What is the Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF) Program and do I qualify?

    The PSLF Program is intended to encourage individuals to enter and continue to work full-time in public service jobs. Under this program, borrowers may qualify for forgiveness of the remaining balance of their Direct Loans after they have made 120 qualifying payments on those loans while employed full time by certain public service employers. More information on qualification​

    « Back to Information