Skip navigation

Graduate International Admissions

The International Office of Central Michigan University Global Campus assists applicants if:
  1. You earned credits or a degree from an institution of higher learning outside the United States
  2. Your birthplace is outside the United States regardless of current U.S. Citizenship or Permanent Residency
  3. You are a Non-Immigrant Visa Status Holder

Please read the following information to determine what additional information you will need to provide to Central Michigan University Global Campus when you apply for admission:

Graduate ​Applications​

You must apply 8 to 12 weeks prior to the term you plan to enroll.

Your application will not be considered complete or evaluated until we have all required documents. Documents should be mailed to the following address:

Central Michigan University
Attn: International Admissions
Global Campus
802 Industrial Drive
Mount Pleasant, MI USA 48858

You will receive written acknowledgement that CMU has received your application. This notice will also tell you if any necessary items are missing from your file.

Evidence of English Language Proficiency

Evidence of English Language proficiency is required for all students who graduated from a higher education institution outside of the United States where the primary language of instruction was not English.

You must provide one of the following:

  • A TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) score, dated within two (2) years of admission application.
    • Test scores must be sent directly from the ETS (English Testing Site) Office to Central Michigan University Global Campus. Our institution code is 1106
    • Scores must be 213 or above on the computer based test (CBT) or 550 or above on the paper based test (PBT) or 79 or above on the internet based test (IBT). For more information on the TOEFL test, please go to .
  • Proof of successful completion (Grade Point Average (GPA) of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale, or its equivalent) of a course of study (e.g. high school or baccalaureate degree) at a foreign institution where the language of instruction is English.
  • Proof of successful completion (GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale, or its equivalent) of at least 12 hours of graduate work in a recognized United States, Canadian, Australian, or British graduate program where the language of instruction is English.
  • Proof of employment in the United States at a professional level for at least two years, verified by a statement from the student’s current or past employer that the student is competent in the English language. Also, a written statement from the student stating English is the language of her/his employment.
  • Proof of employment outside the United States at a professional level for at least four years in a position that relies on the use of English. Applicant must submit a statement that English is the language of her/his professional work, verified by a statement from the applicant’s employer that the student is competent in the English language. A telephone interview may be required.

Minimum Degree Requirements

To apply for admission to a graduate degree program, you must provide proof of successful completion of a four-year bachelor’s degree or recognized equivalent representing a minimum of 16 years of schooling with at least 12 years at the primary and secondary level. The proof must be from an institution that has accredited/recognized standing by the appropriate educational authority in the country that issued the degree.

Past academic performance of the applicant, is used as an indicator of the likelihood that the applicant will be able to successfully complete the course of study. CMU uses the United States 4.0 Grade Point Average (GPA)Scale.

The minimum GPA for admission to most graduate programs is 2.7 on the U.S. 4.0 scale.

See bulletin​ for academic admission requirements for specific programs.

Record of Academic Work

Official academic documents (transcripts, mark sheets, degree certificates, diplomas, examination results) from institutions outside the United States must be either originals, or copies certified by the issuing academic institutions.

Central Michigan University will not accept photocopies, faxes or notarized copies.

All transcripts must be sealed and sent unopened in order to be accepted as official documents. Transcript request form

An official transcript bears the original signature of the registrar and/or the original seal of the issuing institution.

If a transcript is not in English, an official English translation, certified by the college or university, must be provided.

Each transcript should indicate years of attendance, subjects studied, and the grade earned in each subject. An explanation of the grading system also should be included.

Academic Credential Evaluation Agencies

All course-by-course and credential evaluations must be sent directly from the Evaluation Agency accompanied by a photo copy of the transcript/mark-sheets and degree earned that was evaluated. CMU honors evaluations done by members of the NACES (National Association of Credential Evaluation Services Inc.). A list of evaluation agencies can be found at CMU retains the right to deny a credential evaluation.

Records submitted become the property of the university and cannot be released to the student. At no time will original documents be sent back to the student unless prior arrangements by the admissions specialist have been made. All arrangements will be at the student expense.

CMU may submit letters requesting verification for authenticity of records, attendance dates or name discrepancies to the issuing institutions. If this situation occurs, the evaluation process may take longer than the estimated processing time.

Immigration Status/Birthplace outside the United States

CMU’s Global Campus does not issue I-20’s (with the exception of the F3 Canadian Visa).

Applicants born outside the United States who are now United States citizensmust provide a Certificate of Citizenship/Naturalization, United States P​assport, or birth abroad certificate.

Permanent Resident Alien (Green Card Holders) must provide a copy of your Permanent Residency card.

Non-immigrant visa categories must provide copy of the visa along with copies of both sides of I-94.

J-1 & J-2 visa holders must provide a copy of the visa, a copy of both sides o​f their I-94 and copy of their DS-2019 form.

Evaluating Your Application

After your application file becomes decision-ready, meaning all required documents have been received, it will be evaluated to see if it meets our minimum University requirements for admission. Each program department makes its own admission decisions on its own schedule.

Students will be notified by mail of any change to status or additional documents required. Please note the entire evaluation process can take 4-6 weeks after we have received all of the required documents.

​Apply to CMU